The Pre-1955 Holy Week: A Liturgical, Spiritual, and Cultural Treasure

Started by Miriam_M, March 03, 2021, 02:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OzarkCatholic

It's strange that the SSPX continues to use the 1955 Holy Week and 1962 rites for Lent.
Feels like Groundhog Day again.

ermy_law

Quote from: OzarkCatholic on March 28, 2021, 09:30:46 PM
It's strange that the SSPX continues to use the 1955 Holy Week and 1962 rites for Lent.

It seems like the SSPX dropped or never retained a lot of aspects of the traditional liturgical life along the way. At least in my experience and comparing between the local SSPX chapel and ICRSS oratory, the Institute maintains the older liturgical rites, as well as traditional blessings of various things for certain days; whereas, the SSPX simply has the 1962 mass in its barest form. That is all the more surprising considering the local SSPX chapel has 4-5 priests and a school, while the Institute oratory has 1 canon. Anyway, we switched from the SSPX to the Institute last year and have been very happy with that decision.

As for the topic of this thread, the Pre-1955 Holy Week is truly an amazing gift. I find the rites much more cohesive than the later developments, which always struck me as piecemeal.

Miriam_M

There was one poster who said that he was finally going to read The Liturgical Year, by Dom Gueranger.  For those who want online access to it, the Palm Sunday portion of it is here:

https://sensusfidelium.us/the-liturgical-year-dom-prosper-gueranger/lent/palm-sunday/

It includes naturally all the prayers and blessings before Mass, but also an introduction and, interspersed with the liturgical prayers, video presentations of the symbolism and intended spiritual fruits. I'm reading it myself.

Miriam_M

Another pre-1955 Holy Week guide. Quite complete, and with Tenebrae for all three days of the Triduum.

https://www.pre1955holyweek.com/for-the-faithful

Prayerful

Quote from: OzarkCatholic on March 28, 2021, 09:30:46 PM

The SSPX have been strict '62 for a while. There was a time when it was some sort of 1964-66 transitional missal in the seminary, but anything from 1962 to 1951 depending on the District. A process of boundary setting against sedevacantism, where for a while there might have been some sort of ambiguity. In that context, the expulsion of the 'nine' who included Fr Cedaka RIP, Fr now Bp Dolan, and Fr Jenkins, three who went to form the SSPV before they fell out and Frs Cekada and Dolan left the SSPV, which doesn't hold the sacraments of the departed priests in high esteem. Sedeprivationists (roughly JP2 was materially or potentially Pope) and sedevacantists follow the pre-55 Holy Week. So too do a number of FSSP parishes on an experimental basis, while the ICKSP seems to have returned to the pre-55 Holy Week to a greater degree. (The pre-55 is good for me, as I normally use a 1940 St Andrew's missal. I have a 1957 Irish printed and published missal, but never saves page flicking by allowing some repetition in the ordinary for domine non sum dignus, miseratur, etc).
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Vincentus Ioannes

Some sedevacantist clergy use the 1955 Holy Week, e.g. the CMRI.

OzarkCatholic

Quote from: Prayerful on March 30, 2021, 05:49:47 PM

The SSPX have been strict '62 for a while. There was a time when it was some sort of 1964-66 transitional missal in the seminary, but anything from 1962 to 1951 depending on the District. A process of boundary setting against sedevacantism, where for a while there might have been some sort of ambiguity. In that context, the expulsion of the 'nine' who included Fr Cedaka RIP, Fr now Bp Dolan, and Fr Jenkins, three who went to form the SSPV before they fell out and Frs Cekada and Dolan left the SSPV, which doesn't hold the sacraments of the departed priests in high esteem. Sedeprivationists (roughly JP2 was materially or potentially Pope) and sedevacantists follow the pre-55 Holy Week. So too do a number of FSSP parishes on an experimental basis, while the ICKSP seems to have returned to the pre-55 Holy Week to a greater degree. (The pre-55 is good for me, as I normally use a 1940 St Andrew's missal. I have a 1957 Irish printed and published missal, but never saves page flicking by allowing some repetition in the ordinary for domine non sum dignus, miseratur, etc).

I'm seeing more diocesan priests using the pre-55 holy week now. In St. Louis, the diocesan (not ICRSS, who also use pre-55) Latin Mass Community has been using pre-55 for two years now. It's almost as if those clerics who've "recognized and resisted" within the diocesan system have been able to begin showing their colors, in ways that, ironically, the SSPX is not afforded.

I don't know-I'm rambling. It's just an observation.
Feels like Groundhog Day again.

ermy_law

I recall the SSPX had a podcast about Holy Week, and the priest was asked about the pre-1955 Holy Week rites. If I recall correctly, he asserted that the changes were not significant. He also seemed to be unaware of the permissions given to other groups to licitly use the older rites. He was either woefully uninformed or being intentionally disingenuous -- I don't know.

(If you're looking for it, it's the SSPX podcast episode dated August 30, 2019: https://sspxpodcast.com/2019/08/questions-with-fr-21-the-motives-of-judas-and-why-not-the-1955-holy-week/).

EDIT: I'm listening to this again now, and he talks about the problem with the Novus Ordo generally being "inventing" a liturgy to "hide" aspects of the faith. He says those things are not true with regard to the Holy Week changes because there was a "continuity" and not a "complete chucking out" of the Holy Week. He admits here that he's never been to the pre-1955 ceremonies. Having been to both sorts of Holy Week, I disagree with him.

ermy_law

Quote from: OzarkCatholic on April 01, 2021, 08:05:59 AM

In St. Louis, the diocesan (not ICRSS, who also use pre-55) Latin Mass Community has been using pre-55 for two years now.

I was surprised to see on New Liturgical Movement that the Oratory of Sts. Gregory and Augustine in St. Louis used the pre-1955 since the usual Sunday masses that I've been to there were very much post-1965, including everyone singing the Pater Noster and things of that sort.

Prayerful

The ICKSP in Limerick seem to, so far my 1940 St Andrew's Missal, or even pocket sized 1806 Roman Missal for the use of the laity (fine except almost all the propers are translated, and that is of limited use with the long Gospels this week), but it is small and the cover is tough, tougher than the other very small missals I have.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Aulef

Regarding the use of pre-1955 reforms rite, I know some groups received in 2018 permission to use it for three years ad experimentum. Groups such as FSSP and ICTK. It was given by the now extinct Ecclesia Dei comission. Coincidentally (or not), Pope Franciscus ended this comission in 2019.

Does anyone have this document? I would like to know which other groups received this permission.

Tota pulchra es, Maria
Et macula originalis non est in Te