General Patton

Started by Heinrich, February 11, 2021, 06:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heinrich

The one we have been waiting for.
[yt][/yt]
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

drummerboy

He looks vaguely like Trump.  Patton died Dec 1945, and Trump was born April 1946, perhaps he is Patton's reincarnation.  8)
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Padraig

That would make Trump the latest incarnation of Julius Cesar. I can almost get behind that.

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Padraig on February 14, 2021, 03:49:48 PM
That would make Trump the latest incarnation of Julius Cesar. I can almost get behind that.
General Sulla, invaded the city of Rome to put an end to the political and social chaos reigning in the city and restored order. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulla
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Mr. Mysterious

Quote from: drummerboy on February 12, 2021, 11:21:56 AM
He looks vaguely like Trump.  Patton died Dec 1945, and Trump was born April 1946, perhaps he is Patton's reincarnation.  8)

Both Patton and Trump had/have part Scottish ancestry.
"Take courage! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Mr. Mysterious

Two of my great uncles served under Patton in World War II and were with him when he ran out of fuel in Metz.
"Take courage! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Elizabeth.2

Is the movie with George C. Scott worth watching?

Heinrich

Quote from: Elizabeth.2 on February 26, 2021, 10:29:07 AM

I think it is.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Jacob

Don't watch it because you're looking for a faithful biopic about Patton (though it is more or less faithful to his WWII experiences), watch it because George C. Scott inhabits the role completely.  He earned his Best Actor that year.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Elizabeth.2

Thanks Heinrich and Jacob!   

(just saw George C. Scott in another movie and now I'm a fan.)

The General and Trump do look related.

TheReturnofLive

Although JFK's death is pretty much a for-sure cover up, I still kind of think Scalia was taken out.
"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles but irrigate deserts." - C.S. Lewis

christulsa

Quote from: TheReturnofLive on February 26, 2021, 04:38:59 PM
I still kind of think Scalia was taken out.

I shared a pew once with Scalia at TLM in DC.   That was kinda cool.

Heinrich

Quote from: TheReturnofLive on February 26, 2021, 04:38:59 PM
Although JFK's death is pretty much a for-sure cover up, I still kind of think Scalia was taken out.

Yes. I think so, too. For both instances.  If European societies in the Middle Ages were practicing lethal statecraft amidst a sensus Catholicus, then our "sacred democracy" would certainly be a homicidal stage.

ralfy

The movie is an interesting portrayal of the character, especially the part when the chaplain asks Patton about prayer. In news footage, though, the historical character had a high-pitched voice.

Padraig

There's a pretty good podcast episode on Patton, from a guy who does interesting history talks. It's two parts, and quite fascinating.
Here's a link:
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/patton-part-one-master-of-the-sword/id1483398140?i=1000489834946