The Parish Hall > The Alps

Question for Heinrich

(1/1)

red solo cup:
I've been looking into the origin of the family name Ausbrook. I think aus means out and brook means brook but there isn't a whole lot of info. It would seem that its German and may have been shortened from Ausbrooks as many do when coming to America. I was wondering if this could be a Farm Name which Germans would sometimes take. The family name is connected to Ohio, I assume immigrants, and possibly to Scotland as well. Thoughts?

Heinrich:

--- Quote from: red solo cup on October 22, 2020, 05:38:59 AM ---I've been looking into the origin of the family name Ausbrook. I think aus means out and brook means brook but there isn't a whole lot of info. It would seem that its German and may have been shortened from Ausbrooks as many do when coming to America. I was wondering if this could be a Farm Name which Germans would sometimes take. The family name is connected to Ohio, I assume immigrants, and possibly to Scotland as well. Thoughts?

--- End quote ---

I just saw this, brother. At this time, this is the best I can do for you in a direct, transliterational way. A 'brook' is a 'Bach(masculine).' I have a friend whose last name is "Leinenbach" which would lead me to believe it originates from the craft of either a weaver or tailor. "Ausbrook," on the other hand, could mean any number of things. You are correct in that 'aus' as a prefix(or preposition) can mean out. This is what I utter to my Teutonic canines when they have a mouthful of my ass when playing. Or if they take my wurst off the platter. I'll sniff around and try to help you. Gotta go get a set of new white walls for the Yankee mobile(Ford Expedition).

Vetus Ordo:
Ausbrook could be a phonetical English rendering of Ausbruch which literally means "break-out" or "explosion" but that stands for a kind of sweet wine produced in Austria and Germany.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version