The Society of St. Pius X - Uplifting Catholic Info

Started by christulsa, May 03, 2015, 08:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

christulsa

I started this list sometime ago over at..ahem..another similar forum  ;) but you have to be a member and logged in to read it.  So I thought I would post it here.  I'm on #260 (maybe I'll reach 1000!), so I'm thinking to post digestible chunks at a time over the next months.  There are parts that may need a bit of fact-checking or are accidentally redundant.

I came to Tradition in 2000 through the FSSP.  After reading the works of Archbishop Lefebvre, I became a member of my local Society chapel in 2007.  I 100% support the principles, positions, and mission of Archbishop Lefebvre and the SSPX he founded, and continue to give it my 100% support.  Thank God for Archbishop Lefebvre!

1. The Archbishop's sister founded the Sisters of the Society of St. Pius X. Their mother was a stigmatist. Her confessor published a book about how he believed she was a saint.

2.  The Archbishop who founded the Society had extraordinary supernatural and even preternatural gifts. He was a very simple and humble man, almost dull at times, but it was because of his charity, orthodoxy, prudence, and tremendous insight on all things practical that drew people to him, whereby he ran and founded seminaries, engineered countless church structures, built up the missions in Africa, organized the International Coalition of Council Fathers (the most traditional bishops at Vatican II), founded the SSPX, etc, etc.

3. The wife of the president of the Philippines has attended Mass at the SSPX priory in Manila, where she consecrated her Office to the Immaculate Heart.

4. The Society encompasses not just the priests, but the sisters, brothers, and oblates around the world.

5. Two brothers (ie siblings, not religious brothers) rode their mountain bikes completely around the world, raising money for an SSPX orphanage in India.

6. The Angelus Press is one of the top publishers in the world of traditional Catholic books.

7. There are SSPX priests who teach the TLM in NO seminaries.

8. There are dioceses that have a positive working relationship with the local SSPX.

9. All the rosary bouquets presented to the Holy Father over the years.

10. The 2000 pilgrimage to Rome. Hundreds of priests and the Society bishops walked 2 by 2 into St Peters square to manifest their attachment to Rome.

11. The many SSPX retreat centers. An SSPX retreat, based on the Spiritual Exercises of St Ignatius, has helped many people grow in holiness, discern their state in life, prepare for marriage/confirmation/etc, etc.

12. SSPX priories/schools. Most priories have a school. Plus daily Mass, chanted Offices, strong parish communities. If you are looking to live near a traditional Catholic community with a school and daily Mass, and are willing to relocate, there are many to choose from.

13. One is St Mary's, Kansas. 3000 + parishioners/town residents, daily Masses, chanted Offices, many priests, brothers, and sisters.  K-12 school. Not coed. 4 year college. Classical liberal arts curriculum.

14. Many pilgrimages around the world. A big one in Bohol, Philippines, and Chartres, France. In US, annual pilgrimages in Missouri, New York, etc.

15. The priests are generally excellent confessors and spiritual directors.

16. The SSPX operates several nursing homes.

17. For many years there had been an an annual Young Adult Gathering in Denver, through which many marriages have come about.

18. There are countless examples of the priests having positive relationships with priests and laity of the FSSP, diocese, etc.

19. Bishop Manat of Thailand, and Bishop Lazo of the Philippines, gave great support to the SSPX, themselves returning to the TLM in part because of the SSPX.

20. www.sspxsingles.com   Not officially affiliated with the Society. My wife and I initially met on this free website.

21.  In France, surprinsingly the general populace has been hugely supportive of Archbishop Lefebvre and the Society of St. Pius X.

22.  There are many monasteries, convents, and traditional orders around the world attached to the SSPX.

23.  There are not a small number of prelates in the Vatican supportive of the SSPX, as well as many bishops around the world. The Society has a good relationship with many of these prelates.

24.  Some of the greatest missionary activity in the world, in particular in third world countries, is from the SSPX.

25.  This is especially evident throughout the Asian district, especially in the Philippines.

Parresia

Thanks for that.  Do you have examples of #'s 7 and 8? 

christulsa

Quote from: Parresia on May 03, 2015, 08:31:28 PM

Fr. Ghela, SSPX, Filipino priest, met the bishop of the Cebu diocese in the Philippines sitting next to him on plane.  After talking, the bishop asked Fr. Ghela to teach the TLM to his seminarians in Cebu, which Fr. happily agreed to do. 

There are certain SSPX priests who have faculties from the local bishop.  There are SSPX chapels that receive weekly faxes/memos from the chancery sent out to all the parishes.  A bishop in India gave support for an SSPX orphanage.  Bishop Manat in Thailand has asked Society priests to give retreats and conferences for his priests.  A bishop in France administered confirmation at an SSPX chapel.  Etc.

Parresia

Quote from: christulsa on May 03, 2015, 08:42:34 PM
Quote from: Parresia on May 03, 2015, 08:31:28 PM

Fr. Ghela, SSPX, Filipino priest, met the bishop of the Cebu diocese in the Philippines sitting next to him on plane.  After talking, the bishop asked Fr. Ghela to teach the TLM to his seminarians in Cebu, which Fr. happily agreed to do. 

There are certain SSPX priests who have faculties from the local bishop.  There are SSPX chapels that receive weekly faxes/memos from the chancery sent out to all the parishes.  A bishop in India gave support for an SSPX orphanage.  Bishop Manat in Thailand has asked Society priests to give retreats and conferences for his priests.  A bishop in France administered confirmation at an SSPX chapel.  Etc.

Thanks again. I'd be interested in knowing which Bishops have given faculties to SSPX priests.  Though, I do understand that such things may need to be kept hush hush. 

Christopher McAvoy

Thanks again. I'd be interested in knowing which Bishops have given faculties to SSPX priests.  Though, I do understand that such things may need to be kept hush

Christulusa is correct, there are some unusual circumstances in which particular SSPX chapels are in what could perhaps be called "a regular or almost regular relationship". It is a paradox in the world of ecclesiology which is highly unusual, much in the way there were particular priests during the 18th to early 20th centuries within the Eastern Catholic Churches who might help out at an Eastern Orthodox Church (or vice versa) somewhere in the middle east and no one said anything. Doesnt entirely make sense, but yet it is what it is...call it corruption, call it an abuse, but don't deny some good may have come out of it.

That's why there is a certain sense in which I question how much irregular divisions or schisms actually matter in the eyes of God. It is a delicate dangerous thing to say this because there must be clear cut church unity and only one true church - yet in rare instances - only God knows. When you are surrounded by a sea of moslems - or a sea of secularist/modernists it helps unite Catholics who under less dire circumstances might fight amongst themselves. It is best to strive to preach the gospel into the world together and overcome the divisions eh?

Kaesekopf

I KNEW I've seen this list before.

Lynne posted it a few months ago!  Taking it from... FE!  :lol:

It's cool that it has its own thread here, though.  Although, some things I would revise and make more objective.  :)
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Lynne

Quote from: Kaesekopf on May 04, 2015, 08:06:37 AM
I KNEW I've seen this list before.

Lynne posted it a few months ago!  Taking it from... FE!  :lol:

It's cool that it has its own thread here, though.  Although, some things I would revise and make more objective.  :)

Yes!  :) I'm glad the author of the list is here now and can answer questions about the details.

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Chestertonian

where are there sspx nursing homes?  it is rare to see any kind of trad healthcare ministry
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

christulsa

Quote from: Chestertonian on May 04, 2015, 09:13:29 AM
where are there sspx nursing homes?  it is rare to see any kind of trad healthcare ministry

canada, france, idaho (may have closed down).  maybe others.  Fr Wegner announced the plan to open another nursing home in the US for retired priests, religious, and laity.  (also, the sspx faithful practically run the public nursing home in st marys, kansas)

Oh, also home for aged attached to sspx orphanage in india.

Prayerful

I think the Novus Ordo has the lead with nursing homes given how religious have just a few elderly who often need assistance to live properly. A positive list. I saw that list before with one or two entries differing.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

nmoerbeek

Quote from: Prayerful on May 04, 2015, 10:27:55 AM
I think the Novus Ordo has the lead with nursing homes given how religious have just a few elderly who often need assistance to live properly. A positive list. I saw that list before with one or two entries differing.

The Carmelite Sisters of the Sacred Heart in Alhambra run Good Shepherd Assisting Living, Bethany Assisted Living, Santa Teresita Manor, Marycrest Manor, and Avila Gardens.

"Let me, however, beg of Your Beatitude...
not to think so much of what I have written, as of my good and kind intentions. Please look for the truths of which I speak rather than for beauty of expression. Where I do not come up to your expectations, pardon me, and put my shortcomings down, please, to lack of time and stress of business." St. Bonaventure, From the Preface of Holiness of Life.

Apostolate:
http://www.alleluiaaudiobooks.com/
Contributor:
http://unamsanctamcatholicam.blogspot.com/
Lay Association:
http://www.militiatempli.net/

Archer

Quote from: christulsa on May 03, 2015, 08:26:25 PM
I started this list sometime ago over at..ahem..another similar forum  ;) but you have to be a member and logged in to read it.  So I thought I would post it here.  I'm on #260 (maybe I'll reach 1000!), so I'm thinking to post digestible chunks at a time over the next months.  There are parts that may need a bit of fact-checking or are accidentally redundant.

I came to Tradition in 2000 through the FSSP.  After reading the works of Archbishop Lefebvre, I became a member of my local Society chapel in 2007.  I 100% support the principles, positions, and mission of Archbishop Lefebvre and the SSPX he founded, and continue to give it my 100% support.  Thank God for Archbishop Lefebvre!

1. The Archbishop's sister founded the Sisters of the Society of St. Pius X. Their mother was a stigmatist. Her confessor published a book about how he believed she was a saint.

2.  The Archbishop who founded the Society had extraordinary supernatural and even preternatural gifts. He was a very simple and humble man, almost dull at times, but it was because of his charity, orthodoxy, prudence, and tremendous insight on all things practical that drew people to him, whereby he ran and founded seminaries, engineered countless church structures, built up the missions in Africa, organized the International Coalition of Council Fathers (the most traditional bishops at Vatican II), founded the SSPX, etc, etc.

3. The wife of the president of the Philippines has attended Mass at the SSPX priory in Manila, where she consecrated her Office to the Immaculate Heart.

4. The Society encompasses not just the priests, but the sisters, brothers, and oblates around the world.

5. Two brothers (ie siblings, not religious brothers) rode their mountain bikes completely around the world, raising money for an SSPX orphanage in India.

6. The Angelus Press is one of the top publishers in the world of traditional Catholic books.

7. There are SSPX priests who teach the TLM in NO seminaries.

8. There are dioceses that have a positive working relationship with the local SSPX.

9. All the rosary bouquets presented to the Holy Father over the years.

10. The 2000 pilgrimage to Rome. Hundreds of priests and the Society bishops walked 2 by 2 into St Peters square to manifest their attachment to Rome.

11. The many SSPX retreat centers. An SSPX retreat, based on the Spiritual Exercises of St Ignatius, has helped many people grow in holiness, discern their state in life, prepare for marriage/confirmation/etc, etc.

12. SSPX priories/schools. Most priories have a school. Plus daily Mass, chanted Offices, strong parish communities. If you are looking to live near a traditional Catholic community with a school and daily Mass, and are willing to relocate, there are many to choose from.

13. One is St Mary's, Kansas. 3000 + parishioners/town residents, daily Masses, chanted Offices, many priests, brothers, and sisters.  K-12 school. Not coed. 4 year college. Classical liberal arts curriculum.

14. Many pilgrimages around the world. A big one in Bohol, Philippines, and Chartres, France. In US, annual pilgrimages in Missouri, New York, etc.

15. The priests are generally excellent confessors and spiritual directors.

16. The SSPX operates several nursing homes.

17. For many years there had been an an annual Young Adult Gathering in Denver, through which many marriages have come about.

18. There are countless examples of the priests having positive relationships with priests and laity of the FSSP, diocese, etc.

19. Bishop Manat of Thailand, and Bishop Lazo of the Philippines, gave great support to the SSPX, themselves returning to the TLM in part because of the SSPX.

20. www.sspxsingles.com   Not officially affiliated with the Society. My wife and I initially met on this free website.

21.  In France, surprinsingly the general populace has been hugely supportive of Archbishop Lefebvre and the Society of St. Pius X.

22.  There are many monasteries, convents, and traditional orders around the world attached to the SSPX.

23.  There are not a small number of prelates in the Vatican supportive of the SSPX, as well as many bishops around the world. The Society has a good relationship with many of these prelates.

24.  Some of the greatest missionary activity in the world, in particular in third world countries, is from the SSPX.

25.  This is especially evident throughout the Asian district, especially in the Philippines.

What is the purpose of this list? And how are you gathering this information? I ask because it appears to be a compilation of random statements and general FAQs regarding the SSPX or people who have come in contact with the SSPX in some capacity. Some of it is interesting, but in order to be truly useful I think you need a new format bolstered with documented facts and sources.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

christulsa

Quote from: Prayerful on May 04, 2015, 10:27:55 AM

Thx.  I agree.  Imo, there should be more trad orders, organizations doing the corporal works of mercy, like health care. 

Yeah I changed two entries.  I realized later that the Filipino first lady consecrated her OFFICE to the IHM, not the country itself; and that St Marys has 3000 trads, not 2000.

christulsa

Archer, i started the list a year ago on FE to share encouraging, positive info about the sspx after months of reading sspx bashing on FE, CI, IA.  ultimately to bring people to Tradition. i started the thread after asking Kaesekopf to post the list.

ive never really edited the list, and it is random in places, but into the list i started posting a lot of references.  i can re-organize it w more references, and relate how i learned the info (ex: "as related to me by a Society priest").  Its not meant as a scholarly list, but if i need verifiable sources, i can take out some points.  most of the factual statements come from books, websites, or priests.  ither statements are my opinion in support of Abl, sspx.

any suggestions for re-formatting?

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Archer on May 04, 2015, 10:50:34 AM
What is the purpose of this list? And how are you gathering this information? I ask because it appears to be a compilation of random statements and general FAQs regarding the SSPX or people who have come in contact with the SSPX in some capacity. Some of it is interesting, but in order to be truly useful I think you need a new format bolstered with documented facts and sources.

I think it's a Society supporter's personal list of why the SSPX is a blessing.  That's how I take it as. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.