Morality question

Started by Bernadette, February 22, 2024, 08:34:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

Quote from: diaduit on February 23, 2024, 12:46:34 PMI don't mean to be rude, just curious but is it a cultural thing that your Aunt can have a say in matters in your life, you are an adult. I understand if it is but this just wouldn't really occur in my culture. 
Your Uncle is buying you a new sewing machine, he obviously knows you like sewing and its something you do so therefore I assume he knows you have one already.  I would sell the machine and use the money to buy material and make him something for himself as a return gift.

Lol no, I don't think so. I do live with her, and I brought it up in conversation.

And yes, my uncle does know that I have a sewing machine already.
My Lord and my God.

diaduit

Well there you go, he knows you have a machine and he is not a vulnerable adult by the sound of it and he has decided how to spend his money.  The end....take it and enjoy it.

Bernadette

I've found a very nice German made heavy duty vintage machine (pfaff) on ebay, and have offered to make my Uncle a quilt in exchange. And I won't sell the old one, as it has a bobbin winder that I use frequently. Problem solved.
My Lord and my God.

diaduit

A second bobbin winder is a luxury, so annoying to unthread and bobbin wind and set up again.  Enjoy the project.

Bernadette

Quote from: diaduit on February 26, 2024, 12:07:09 PMA second bobbin winder is a luxury, so annoying to unthread and bobbin wind and set up again.  Enjoy the project.
I've just discovered chain piecing and can't wait to try it. It will speed up production tremendously.
My Lord and my God.

Bernadette

No go on the sewing machine. He won't buy me one since my aunt doesn't approve.
My Lord and my God.

diaduit

Bernadette

So I bought it myself. I never thought I'd have a Pfaff. They're workhorses and last forever. This one can sew through denim, and has a bobbin winder and reverse stitch setting. Perfect.
My Lord and my God.

Greg

Sewing machine scene
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Bonaventure

Quote from: Bernadette on February 22, 2024, 08:34:16 AMMy uncle has offered to buy me a new sewing machine. I was going to pick one that I wanted and then sell the one that I currently have. My aunt got upset when I mentioned this to her and said that it would be wrong. Would it?

Why would it be?

Accepting one's generosity, especially the sibling of your parent, is a wholesome and blessed thing.

Sounds like envy on her end tbh.

This shouldn't even be a discussion.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Bonaventure

Quote from: Bernadette on February 27, 2024, 07:41:13 AMNo go on the sewing machine. He won't buy me one since my aunt doesn't approve.

I am sorry that you have to deal with these type of unhealthy family dynamics.

I can relate.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."