To what are you currently listening?

Started by Bonaventure, December 26, 2012, 09:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flora

Quote from: Ulrich Von Lichtenstein on March 06, 2016, 05:57:15 PM
Catholics should not be listening to music with syncopated rhythm! It is bad music. I am surprised to see such music in this thread, what do your confessors say when you tell them about this!?

Why is this? I've never heard such a thing before. Unless you're kidding?

Ulrich Von Lichtenstein

Quote from: Flora on March 06, 2016, 06:32:33 PM
Catholics should not be listening to music with syncopated rhythm! It is bad music. I am surprised to see such music in this thread, what do your confessors say when you tell them about this!?

Why is this? I've never heard such a thing before. Unless you're kidding?

No, many priests say such things.

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Ulrich Von Lichtenstein

Quote from: red solo cup on March 07, 2016, 04:25:04 AM

Eternal damnation is no laughing matter, friend!

MilesChristi

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Chestertonian

cutting out music with syncopated rhythm is REALLY going to narrow down your options.  what will you dance to at parties and weddings
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

red solo cup

Quote from: Chestertonian on March 07, 2016, 11:52:54 PM
cutting out music with syncopated rhythm is REALLY going to narrow down your options.  what will you dance to at parties and weddings

Kaesekopf

Quote from: red solo cup on March 08, 2016, 06:35:20 AM
Quote from: Chestertonian on March 07, 2016, 11:52:54 PM

This whole forum needs more polka. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Chestertonian

Indeed.  And that polka piece has "syncopated rhythm" all over it
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

MilesChristi

Syncopation is used in many musical styles, and is fundamental in styles such as ragtime, jazz, jump blues, funk, gospel, reggae, dub, hip hop, breakbeat, UK garage, dubstep, drum'n'bass, progressive house, progressive rock / metal, djent, groove metal, nu metal, samba, baião, and ska. "All dance music makes use of syncopation and it's often a vital element that helps tie the whole track together".[3] In the form of a back beat, syncopation is used in virtually all contemporary popular music.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syncopation

Syncopation has been an important element of European musical composition since at least the Middle Ages. J.S. Bach and Handel used syncopated rhythms as an inherent part of their compositions; Haydn used it to create variety. Syncopation was used by Mozart, Beethoven, and Schubert, especially in their symphonies, for both purposes. This can be heard in Mozart's 38th and Beethoven's 7th. Syncopation is an essential part of the character of some musical styles, such as jazz and ragtime. Hungarian Csárdás song-dances are always syncopated. The "Scotch snap" of Scotland also feature syncopation.[1][4]
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Chestertonian

suppose you could say that rock music's rhythm has a sensual beat...

but  clearly the celibate priest who wrote those articles doesnt have much experience with romancing a beautiful lady with classical music.. faure's pavane op 50 is quite sensual.. thepatient, gentle rhythm balanced with the swooning musical phrasingand hauntingly beautiful melody will cure any "headache" (the sort that only seem to occur after hours).  the reason why rock music is more popular than faure's pavae op 50 is an evil plot by johnson and johnson to sell more tylenol. 

twelve cellos

renee fleming accompanied on piano

or full orchestra

guitar and strings

red solo cup

erin is nice

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqKMrUruakY[/yt]

I am finally getting an Elliott Smith themed tattoo next week. I have officially lost my mind.

LouisIX

Quote from: Chestertonian on March 10, 2016, 01:51:24 AM
suppose you could say that rock music's rhythm has a sensual beat...

but  clearly the celibate priest who wrote those articles doesnt have much experience with romancing a beautiful lady with classical music.. faure's pavane op 50 is quite sensual.. thepatient, gentle rhythm balanced with the swooning musical phrasingand hauntingly beautiful melody will cure any "headache" (the sort that only seem to occur after hours).  the reason why rock music is more popular than faure's pavae op 50 is an evil plot by johnson and johnson to sell more tylenol. 

twelve cellos

renee fleming accompanied on piano

or full orchestra

guitar and strings

I was transfixed by this! What a haunting little piece. Thanks, Chestertonian.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.