Buying clothes

Started by Chestertonian, August 24, 2018, 05:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chestertonian

is it weird if a husband buys clothes for his wife

My wife was upset yesterday because a lot of her clothes don't fit because she's been in treatment for anorexia and she's finally at a normal weight but she is upset by it and doesn't want to go clothes shopping plus money is tight right now

I have money in my personal account because I never buy anything but I was thinking about ordering her some pretty dresses online if I can figure out her size

I am not sure if I should surprise her or if this is too weird or if it would upset her

"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

carmina laetitiae

I don't see why it'd upset her, but it'd probably be better to offer her the money or even purchase a gift card to be used at her favorite clothing store so she can shop for herself. Women's sizes often depend on the brand so it's always better to try things on before buying them. Also, this way there's no awkwardness if she hates what you've gotten her lol.

Archer

If it was me, I'd buy her something myself but not go crazy.
Get her a nice dress and/or top or something. It'll mean more because you took the time to do it yourself, and if she does have to return them it won't be a big deal.

Once you've checked the romantic box, you can do a gift card or the "here's my card, get yourself to the store and don't come back until you've bought a wardrobe thing."
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

red solo cup

Dude, buying clothes for a woman is a minefield. God help you if they're too big, God help you if they're too small.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: red solo cup on August 25, 2018, 04:56:01 AM
Dude, buying clothes for a woman is a minefield. God help you if they're too big, God help you if they're too small.

It's not weird, but it is definitely risky.  Not only with regard to size, but style.  It has the potential to go downhill pretty quickly, even with the kindest and lowest maintenance type of woman.  My husband has done it maybe 2 times in the last 15+ years we've been together.  He did really well the very first time (that time was pre-kids, though, which definitely makes a difference).  The second time was decent, but not stellar.  I'd say go with Archer's second recommendation, and send her out on a mission, and to not come home until it is filled.  That's normally what my husband does...it usually goes something like this:

Me: "ugh.  I have nothing to wear!"
Him: "what? you have plenty of clothes.  You look fantastic"
Me: *rolls eyes* I look horrible in everything, and nothing fits me well. I'm constantly going back and forth between being pregnant or nursing, and nothing works."
Him: *grits his teeth* "ok...on Saturday, go shopping.  Don't come home until you have some things that you like.  And, I don't want to hear you complain about having nothing to wear again.  You look fantastic."
Me: *sigh* "fine"
Him: "Go out to eat by yourself, too.  You can't come home before dinner.  You look beautiful"
Me: "ok....thank you" (mentally thinking: 'what the heck am I going to wear??'  ::))

;D

Then, if you really want to get her something, surprise her with some jewelry to go with her new clothes, if she wears jewelry.  It doesn't even have to be expensive jewelry; just something pretty and tasteful.  Or, something else that you know she likes and considers romantic.

diaduit

I was thinking about this idea Ches, I was wondering would it be a good idea to book a personal shopper in a dept store (if finances are available).  They are usually very good at styling pieces together.  It would take the pressure off your wife as she will not have to root through rails and pull out her sizes.  I know myself it is hard when you pull out your old size and see you no longer fit into it and you have to skip these and go larger, it can be quite a little kick in the gut.
I am delighted that your wife is back to normal weight again even though it might be tough for her to see it.

Archer

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on August 25, 2018, 10:45:24 AM
Quote from: red solo cup on August 25, 2018, 04:56:01 AM

It's not weird, but it is definitely risky.  Not only with regard to size, but style.  It has the potential to go downhill pretty quickly, even with the kindest and lowest maintenance type of woman.  My husband has done it maybe 2 times in the last 15+ years we've been together.  He did really well the very first time (that time was pre-kids, though, which definitely makes a difference).  The second time was decent, but not stellar.  I'd say go with Archer's second recommendation, and send her out on a mission, and to not come home until it is filled.  That's normally what my husband does...it usually goes something like this:

Me: "ugh.  I have nothing to wear!"
Him: "what? you have plenty of clothes.  You look fantastic"
Me: *rolls eyes* I look horrible in everything, and nothing fits me well. I'm constantly going back and forth between being pregnant or nursing, and nothing works."
Him: *grits his teeth* "ok...on Saturday, go shopping.  Don't come home until you have some things that you like.  And, I don't want to hear you complain about having nothing to wear again.  You look fantastic."
Me: *sigh* "fine"
Him: "Go out to eat by yourself, too.  You can't come home before dinner.  You look beautiful"
Me: "ok....thank you" (mentally thinking: 'what the heck am I going to wear??'  ::))

;D

Then, if you really want to get her something, surprise her with some jewelry to go with her new clothes, if she wears jewelry.  It doesn't even have to be expensive jewelry; just something pretty and tasteful.  Or, something else that you know she likes and considers romantic.

LOL. That could be a carbon copy of our conversations.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney