Is it sinful for men to dress as women for laughs?

Started by Josephine87, February 09, 2019, 04:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephine87

This is probably one of my favorite forms of comedy.  But is it wrong?  Just curious.
"Begin again." -St. Teresa of Avila

"My present trial seems to me a somewhat painful one, and I have the humiliation of knowing how badly I bore it at first. I now want to accept and to carry this little cross joyfully, to carry it silently, with a smile in my heart and on my lips, in union with the Cross of Christ. My God, blessed be Thou; accept from me each day the embarrassment, inconvenience, and pain this misery causes me. May it become a prayer and an act of reparation." -Elisabeth Leseur

Matto

If women can wear pants I see no reason why a man cannot wear a dress, even seriously.
I Love Watching Butterflies . . ..

Non Nobis

Quote from: Josephine87 on February 09, 2019, 04:34:50 PM
This is probably one of my favorite forms of comedy.  But is it wrong?  Just curious.

With an audience that is (at least by and large) normal and not perverted I don't see that a little bit of it is wrong - it CAN BE funny (e.g. Mrs Doubtfire). The problem today is that sometimes the audience IS perverted (or easily influenced that way, in this pro-gay world).  I think it's  a little touchy, but although we should avoid giving temptation, what extremes should we go to to avoid "tempting" a pervert - e.g. should men never hug each other?

Some will say that men should never dress as women, even in occasional play-acting or joking (regardless of the audience), and that women should never wear pants.  I disagree, but this is based on my own understanding of morality and what is "too scrupulous" vs. what is "too lax". (Oh no, another pants thread?)
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Gardener

Quote from: Matto on February 09, 2019, 04:37:43 PM
If women can wear pants I see no reason why a man cannot wear a dress, even seriously.

Scotland, and pretty much most of history, agrees.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Maximilian

No, because the humor comes from the recognition that this is abnormal. It is not presented as something normal or to be emulated. Comedy comes from overturning the norms of society. By doing so temporarily, we are actually reinforcing those norms.

Lambda Phage

I know it's not the same thing, but my mom used to watch those shows where the protagonists were gay men. She said she found it "so funny." That always angered me even as a child. I've met other women, even women opposed to homosexuality, who also think gay men in fiction are "funny." I never understood that and probably never will.

I can laugh at a character, a fool, who is supposed to be humiliated by looking like a girl, because as Maximilian said it is abnormal. Older depictions of this do it better. But in modern entertainment there is a line that is too easily crossed and it might not be to the character's shame.

Tales

Quote from: Maximilian on February 09, 2019, 05:52:41 PM

No, because the humor comes from the recognition that this is abnormal. It is not presented as something normal or to be emulated. Comedy comes from overturning the norms of society. By doing so temporarily, we are actually reinforcing those norms.

To me it seems as if such humor reinforces the abnormal by breaking the ice of taboo and associating taboo with good feelings.

Reader

Socially unacceptable behavior is mocked, then pitied, then tolerated, then accepted, and finally mandated.

Traditionallyruralmom

I love the mom character  :cheeseheadbeer:  Not really answering your question though....
[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmKped3yARQ[/yt]
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Heinrich

Quote from: Gardener on February 09, 2019, 05:44:59 PM
Quote from: Matto on February 09, 2019, 04:37:43 PM

Scotland, and pretty much most of history, agrees.

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Maximilian

Quote from: Reader on February 10, 2019, 06:56:19 AM

Socially unacceptable behavior is mocked, then pitied, then tolerated, then accepted, and finally mandated.

As was expressed poetically by Alexander Pope:

Vice is a monster of so frightful mien
    As to be hated needs but to be seen;
    Yet seen too oft, familiar with her face,
    We first endure, then pity, then embrace.

Serendipity

I am guessing this is a leading question.  If the actual question is - Is it sinful for men to dress as women to invade their private spaces such as women's refuges, prisons, sports, toilets, showers ad infinitum then yes I would say it is sinful as their faithless agenda is one of voyeurism and narcissistic affirmation.  Next question...

PS I am from Yorkshire and we tell it as it is....

Josephine87

Quote from: Serendipity on February 12, 2019, 05:18:54 PM
I am guessing this is a leading question.  If the actual question is - Is it sinful for men to dress as women to invade their private spaces such as women's refuges, prisons, sports, toilets, showers ad infinitum then yes I would say it is sinful as their faithless agenda is one of voyeurism and narcissistic affirmation.  Next question...

PS I am from Yorkshire and we tell it as it is....

It's not a leading question.  I despise trannyism.  But when men dress as women for comedic purposes (see below) I find it pretty amusing.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE589gkOYz0[/yt]

"My present trial seems to me a somewhat painful one, and I have the humiliation of knowing how badly I bore it at first. I now want to accept and to carry this little cross joyfully, to carry it silently, with a smile in my heart and on my lips, in union with the Cross of Christ. My God, blessed be Thou; accept from me each day the embarrassment, inconvenience, and pain this misery causes me. May it become a prayer and an act of reparation." -Elisabeth Leseur

mikemac

Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Josephine87

Quote from: mikemac on February 13, 2019, 07:58:47 PM
Danny Kaye was queer, wasn't he?

Wiki doesn't say so. I . wouldn't be surprised considering Hollywood though.