Duolingo

Started by Fleur-de-Lys, February 16, 2020, 02:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fleur-de-Lys

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on April 26, 2020, 03:03:55 PM
Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on April 26, 2020, 02:59:58 PM
Quote from: Vetus Ordo on April 26, 2020, 02:38:04 PM
I'm trying to sluggishly make my way through the Arabic course.

I'm already able to say multicultural sentences such as George comes from Oman.

When you get as far as I have, you'll be able to say truly useful things like Omar is a fast Syrian translator. :D  The Arabic course is in need of further development.

I'm eagerly waiting for the part about easy cars.

Fascinating concept.

Yes.  :D

I understand the compulsion to use every vocabulary word in a lesson, but that was some seriously bad pedagogy. So we had an easy professor, an easy university, and an easy car.  :D

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on April 26, 2020, 03:22:15 PM
Quote from: Vetus Ordo on April 26, 2020, 03:03:55 PM
Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on April 26, 2020, 02:59:58 PM
Quote from: Vetus Ordo on April 26, 2020, 02:38:04 PM
I'm trying to sluggishly make my way through the Arabic course.

I'm already able to say multicultural sentences such as George comes from Oman.

When you get as far as I have, you'll be able to say truly useful things like Omar is a fast Syrian translator. :D  The Arabic course is in need of further development.

I'm eagerly waiting for the part about easy cars.

Fascinating concept.

Yes.  :D

I understand the compulsion to use every vocabulary word in a lesson, but that was some seriously bad pedagogy. So we had an easy professor, an easy university, and an easy car.  :D

Easy is an encouraging adjective but one has to be careful where to use it.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Fleur-de-Lys

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on April 26, 2020, 09:30:06 AM
The Duolingo Hebrew course can be especially problematic, as the audio is sometimes missing. For a language that doesn't always write vowels, this can make acquiring new forms particularly difficult.

I decided to try the Hebrew course again. It looks like they've added some of the audio that was missing. This is a huge improvement. There is also now a female voice as well as a male one. I particularly like the man's voice. It is very soothing.  :D

Fleur-de-Lys

Am I the only one who is annoyed that there is still no Persian course in development?

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on July 07, 2020, 02:08:56 PM
Am I the only one who is annoyed that there is still no Persian course in development?

No.

I'm also waiting for that one. Persian has been on my list for quite some time now.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Fleur-de-Lys

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on July 07, 2020, 02:13:45 PM

No.

I'm also waiting for that one. Persian has been on my list for quite some time now.

I have some other, very good resources for Persian that I can share with you in the meantime.

Prayerful

I'm doing Duolingo for Latin. It's fine. The one for Irish had stupid translations, Anglicisms. The French one was fine too.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Heinrich

I am doing the French thing there.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

discalced

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on July 07, 2020, 02:13:45 PM

No.

My wife is Persian, and after nearly a decade with her, I decided to take the language seriously. She isn't much of a teacher, so I went looking for good resources.

The best I've used is iTalki. It's basically "skype for language learning." You can pick a community tutor (cheap) or a pro teacher (slightly less cheap) and get live lessons and conversation. It's a fantastic way to learn and practice. I think I paid a few dollars to spend 30-45min with a teacher in Tehran.

I recently found out that I can claim Romanian citizenship by descent (thanks mom) and so I'm finally taking that language seriously. I'll likely get on iTalki for that here soon. EU fast lane at the airports here I come! And visa free work and residency, of course...
Residuum revertetur!

Climbing Carmel

GaudeMariaVirgo

For those interested, "Chai and Conversation" is a nice resource for learning conversational Persian: https://www.chaiandconversation.com/

And for grammar, I used "Basic Persian" by Saeed Yousef (he was my professor in college): https://www.amazon.com/Basic-Persian-Grammar-Workbook-Workbooks/dp/0415616522

Fleur-de-Lys

I like the Persian of Iran Today series. It is for sale on Amazon, but you can access the book and audio files for free online through the University of Texas.

https://www.laits.utexas.edu/persian_teaching_resources/

On that page there is also a link to the associated video series Café Denj, which can also be found on YouTube.

Fleur-de-Lys

The final verdict, from Paul at Langfocus:

[yt][/yt]

Warning: some adult humor at the end

Non Nobis

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on August 05, 2020, 02:40:00 PM
The final verdict, from Paul at Langfocus:

[yt][/yt]

Warning: some adult humor at the end

Oh dear - did I just watch the whole thing :wag:? I never did finish Duolingo German. Maybe it doesn't lead the same way as one-worldish Esperanto? :)
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Vetus Ordo

Esperanto is certainly of the devil.

This is a sententia fidei proxima.

Vexilla Regis

Why bother? The whole world speaks English.