Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisIX

Quote from: totiusque on May 14, 2013, 03:57:36 AM
Quote from: LouisIX on May 06, 2013, 12:55:01 PM

I'm a Keifer Sutherland fan, but I liked the ending of this original better than the 1993 "happy ending" version.  Both movies were well done, though, and Jeff Bridges does play a convincing villain (better than he was in the first Iron Man anyway).

I haven't seen the American remake and doubt I ever will.  I'm a Jeff Bridges fan, but the original is the right story.  That ending is great.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

LouisIX

Quote from: Hat And Beard on May 14, 2013, 07:10:51 AM
Quote from: LouisIX on May 14, 2013, 01:51:28 AM
Quote from: Hat And Beard on May 12, 2013, 09:49:11 PM

What did you think?  I've been meaning to watch the entire "Trilogy of Faith" but haven't yet.
I watched the entire trilogy of faith when I was 19. They're all good, but not Bergman's best. Winter Light is among his best, though; I'm not sure why I re-watched it, perhaps I identify with a few of the main characters. I'm guessing you've only seen Through a Glass Darkly? That one is rough, and this one is a much easier watch- I highly recommend it.  :)

I haven't seen Winter's Light, but out of the Bergman films I've seen, I think Wild Strawberries is my favorite.  The Seventh Seal is probably a slightly better film but the nihilism sort of takes it over.  WS is actually quite a Christian film.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Hat And Beard

You really might like this one, then. It could go other way in the tug of war between nihilism and christianity.

Christknight104

Quote from: Hat And Beard on May 14, 2013, 10:20:39 AM
You really might like this one, then. It could go other way in the tug of war between nihilism and christianity.

Does not Atheist Nihilism win over Christianity in Winter Light? I have not watched the film, though I have read the summary.

voxxpopulisuxx

Quote from: Christknight104 on May 14, 2013, 10:28:38 PM
Quote from: Hat And Beard on May 14, 2013, 10:20:39 AM

Does not Atheist Nihilism win over Christianity in Winter Light? I have not watched the film, though I have read the summary.
This is what I thought as well.
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

Hat And Beard

Its ambiguous, really. He could be faking at the end(or so I've read). Plus, Bergman said that was the film that he permanently shed his faith on.

Mithrandylan

Quote from: Hat And Beard on May 15, 2013, 05:52:02 PM
Its ambiguous, really. He could be faking at the end(or so I've read). Plus, Bergman said that was the film that he permanently shed his faith on.

I'm pretty sure Bergman said that Winter Light was his 'accepting' that he lost his (Lutheran) faith.
Ps 135

Quia in humilitáte nostra memor fuit nostri: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Et redémit nos ab inimícis nostris: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Qui dat escam omni carni: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Deo cæli: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Dómino dominórum: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.

For he was mindful of us in our affliction: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
And he redeemed us from our enemies: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Who giveth food to all flesh: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the God of heaven: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the Lord of lords: * for his mercy endureth for ever.

-I retract any and all statements I have made that are incongruent with the True Faith, and apologize for ever having made them-

BierKaiser

Quote from: Patriarch on May 10, 2013, 08:40:54 AM
Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on May 05, 2013, 05:04:46 AM
Quote from: Patriarch on May 04, 2013, 10:24:12 PM
Iron Man III; as of three-and-one-half hours ago. :toth:
well??? How was it....dish.z

It was alright. It was decent. The villain setup was to my liking though. I've seen a rather decidedly lack of compotent and well-played and well-thought out villainry in films too often nowadays. You'd figure they've have better villains; ones with clearer and better machinations. Some seem so trite or underdeveloped nowadays.

Watched it a few days ago.  I liked it better than the second one and agree with Patriarch about the villain setup.  It was a good, entertaining movie.

FaithByProxy

Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

A fun little movie. Had to watch it after seeing the new Star Trek (which I was not fond of).
Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us.

Archer

"I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

voxxpopulisuxx

Orange county ( funny)...2 coen brothers films...man who wasnt there...a serious man....both intriguing but wierd
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

Lyubov

I was dragged to The Purge a couple of nights ago. What an embarrassing movie. I felt bad for it. :(
??? ?? ??? ????????
?? ??? ?????? ?????.

ImperialGuardsman

Quote from: Lyubov on June 08, 2013, 10:05:55 AM
I was dragged to The Purge a couple of nights ago. What an embarrassing movie. I felt bad for it. :(

I wasn't sure if I wanted to see it or not.  That bad?
"One would be straying from the straight path were he to wish the altar restored to its primitive tableform; were he to want black excluded as a color for the liturgical vestments; were he to forbid the use of sacred images and statues in Churches...and lastly were he to disdain and reject polyphonic music or singing in parts, even where it conforms to regulations issued by the Holy See." - Ven. Pope Pius XII

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--  (Stolen from EcceQuamBonum's signature)

America, that great bastion of the Enlightenment, is the destroyer of all religions.--LouisIX

Lyubov

Quote from: ImperialGuardsman on June 08, 2013, 11:08:14 PM
Quote from: Lyubov on June 08, 2013, 10:05:55 AM

I wasn't sure if I wanted to see it or not.  That bad?

Lots of cringe-worthy acting, and the characters behaved a bit too illogically at some points. If I was a rich American in 2022, I would just go to Canada during the week of the purge.
??? ?? ??? ????????
?? ??? ?????? ?????.

poche

The last movie I saw in the theatre was "Prince" in 1986.