Show us your handwriting

Started by Penelope, December 29, 2012, 05:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penelope

A while ago, there was a day on G+ where people would scan in copies of something they had written in order to show their cursive writing. The hashtag used was #showusyourcursive. Since I was educated in a Catholic school that still taught handwriting as part of the elementary curriculum, I figured I should participate. I wrote down a poem that I had memorized in fourth grade (another typical part of a Catholic school curriculum) and scanned it in to post on G+. So, here's mine:

Care to show us your handwriting?

EcceQuamBonum

Penelope, you have quite beautiful cursive, admirable for its regularity.  (And I think your capital Hs are lovely!)  I have a somewhat distinctive hand, but, unfortunately, it's quite erratic in the shape of its letterforms.

I'll post a sample later on.  I'll be a bit embarrassed to follow this example, though.     ;)
"Sero Te amavi, Pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova.  Sero Te amavi!"-Confessions, X.27

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--

Penelope

Gee, thanks.  :D  My handwriting pales in comparison to that of a friend of mine, though. He writes in perfect Palmer method. We took a couple philosophy classes together in college and he would sit there in lecture and write a perfect outline in perfect Palmer script every day. Rather impressive.

Bonaventure

Quote from: Penelope on December 29, 2012, 05:24:29 PM
Care to show us your handwriting?

We should pick a common text to be written.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Penelope

I love for "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening."

Bonaventure

I did it for you, Penelope.

For some reason it's horizontal. Oh well.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Kaesekopf

I need to write this out and do it.

I love my handwriting.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

EcceQuamBonum

Quote from: Bonaventure on December 29, 2012, 07:22:41 PM

I don't see it?  Am I the only one?
"Sero Te amavi, Pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova.  Sero Te amavi!"-Confessions, X.27

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--

Bonaventure

Quote from: EcceQuamBonum on December 29, 2012, 07:46:49 PM
Quote from: Bonaventure on December 29, 2012, 07:22:41 PM

I don't see it?  Am I the only one?

I hope not.

EcceQuamBonum

Penelope

Bonaventure

EcceQuamBonum

Okay, here goes nothing.  I accidentally added a comma before "though" in line two.  A bit of an impromptu textual emendation on my part.  (Though, given the vexed history of Frost editing, perhaps not entirely out of line...   ;) )

I also threw in a quick, brown fox for good measure.

Eliza

I'm not very computer literate. I know how to copy and paste a picture from the internet, but can I post one from the pictures saved on my phone? If so, how?

I love writing in cursive.

*edited for typo

EcceQuamBonum

Quote from: Penelope on December 29, 2012, 05:43:04 PM
Gee, thanks.  :D  My handwriting pales in comparison to that of a friend of mine, though. He writes in perfect Palmer method. We took a couple philosophy classes together in college and he would sit there in lecture and write a perfect outline in perfect Palmer script every day. Rather impressive.

This is particularly enviable.  I wish I had the time to learn a method like Palmer.  Part of the problem is that I control the pen with my hand, rather than my arm, so I have much less control over how I form my letters.  Thus inconsistencies develop. 

The handwriting I have now is mostly the result of my sitting around for hours as a child practicing my handwriting (though "practice" implies something more systematic than it actually was).  We only received a year of cursive instruction in public school; I figure students now receive none whatsoever.  All the same, the only C I ever earned in school was in third-grade handwriting!  So, my handwriting is mostly a development since then, which explains its idiosyncrasies.  (For instance, you'll note I don't use the cursive lowercase b and have only recently begun using the capital I.)  But I'd love to learn a more formal script someday.  Most people are blown away that I even know how to write in cursive at all...   ;)