Previous topic - Next topic

sprungli

The wolverine

A+++++!!! :D

Gerard

Quote from: sprungli on July 26, 2013, 09:51:41 AM
The wolverine

I'm off to see it in about 15 min.  Looking forward to it. 

Larry

Quote from: Gerard on July 26, 2013, 10:50:16 AM
The wolverine

I have to wait until next weekend to see it. A fellow traddie wants to see it with me, but won't be free until next weekend. We'll go to First Saturday Mass(TLM, of course),  and then to the movies.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Gerard

Quote from: Larry S. on July 26, 2013, 10:58:33 AM
Quote from: Gerard on July 26, 2013, 10:50:16 AM
The wolverine

I have to wait until next weekend to see it. A fellow traddie wants to see it with me, but won't be free until next weekend. We'll go to First Saturday Mass(TLM, of course),  and then to the movies.

That was MUCH better than the X-Men Origins: Wolverine film. 

It draw a lot from the Frank Miller Chris Claremont mini series from the early 80s. 

And the Easter egg is probably the best tease I've seen of all of them. 

Larry

I've heard a lot of good things, I'm looking forward to it.

Habitual_Ritual

Superman Returns  (2006)

Following the major let down that was the recent Superman movie (a glitzy re-hash of superman 2 with no heart or soul) I decided to revisit the 2006 offering.
I remembered it being OK but also somewhat disappointing so I wanted to refresh and compare. Having just finished it I feel it is a far superior version than the 2013 serving. It has a lot more appeal and feels a little more depth-ful. The Christ references are there too and in fact are far more obvious. Superman (almost) dies in this movie as a sacrifice for men and the scene were he falls to earth, having given up the ghost, is drenched in Christological imagery. Lex stabs superman in his right side with a shard of Kryptonite to finish him off. It passed me by the first time but it seemed an obvious reference to the spear of Longinus. All in all a far more satisfying version I felt and not so much the obvious vehicle for snazzy visuals ( which i like) wrapped round an old story with limp acting and a general sense of emotional malaise about the thing as we experience in the new version.The 2006 version almost managed to retain some of the sense of fun of the Reeves movies whihc were lacking in the new one. I was fully anticipating an edgier take on superman which would have been great but the new movie did not produce on this score. It was a real damp squib in terms of impact and engagement.
" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)

Pheo

Quote from: FaithByProxy on July 24, 2013, 09:22:03 AM
The Conjuring

Better than I was expecting. Genuinely creepy at certain points, and almost orthodox on Catholic issues. It was respectful, at least.

I just saw this one too.  It really wasn't as scary as I thought it would be, but it had a couple good jump moments.  And you're right - they had a few goofy ideas, but things seemed to be presented decently.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Larry

Quote from: Habitual_Ritual on July 27, 2013, 04:57:59 PM
Superman Returns  (2006)

Following the major let down that was the recent Superman movie (a glitzy re-hash of superman 2 with no heart or soul) I decided to revisit the 2006 offering.
I remembered it being OK but also somewhat disappointing so I wanted to refresh and compare. Having just finished it I feel it is a far superior version than the 2013 serving. It has a lot more appeal and feels a little more depth-ful. The Christ references are there too and in fact are far more obvious. Superman (almost) dies in this movie as a sacrifice for men and the scene were he falls to earth, having given up the ghost, is drenched in Christological imagery. Lex stabs superman in his right side with a shard of Kryptonite to finish him off. It passed me by the first time but it seemed an obvious reference to the spear of Longinus. All in all a far more satisfying version I felt and not so much the obvious vehicle for snazzy visuals ( which i like) wrapped round an old story with limp acting and a general sense of emotional malaise about the thing as we experience in the new version.The 2006 version almost managed to retain some of the sense of fun of the Reeves movies whihc were lacking in the new one. I was fully anticipating an edgier take on superman which would have been great but the new movie did not produce on this score. It was a real damp squib in terms of impact and engagement.

Even though I liked MAN OF STEEL, I have to admit that I'll go against popular consensus and say that I enjoyed SUPERMAN RETURNS at least as much, if not more so. It was good closure to the original series of Superman movies. Director Bryan Singer mentioned in an interview that, even though he's Jewish, he was influenced by the story of Christ in making this movie, and directly referenced the spear of Longinus as being an inspiration for the scene where Luthor stabs Superman with the Kryptonite. Also, THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST had just been released when this film went into production, and I can't help but think that the scene of Luthor's thugs beating up Superman(while Lex's girlfriend looks on in grief at the cruelty of it) wasn't inspired by some of  the imagery in Mel's masterpiece of a movie.

Heinrich

Coriolanus. I want to read the play now.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

The Harlequin King

Quote from: Heinrich on July 28, 2013, 07:52:33 AM

I want to see the movie version.

Heinrich

Quote from: The Harlequin King on July 28, 2013, 07:54:27 AM
Quote from: Heinrich on July 28, 2013, 07:52:33 AM

I want to see the movie version.

Well produced and adapted from what I understand the original to be. It will elevate your speech patterns for the rest of the day.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Kaesekopf

Cabin on the Woods and Sharknado

The former was OK. 

The latter FREAKING HILARIOUS.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

dymphna17

World War Z.  I'd love to watch this happen from a helicopters view.  I wonder if zombie preppers are now buying ships for future safety.  lol
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

sprungli

Garden state

So funny & meaningful . 3 1/2 stars.

Othmar

Braveheart. Seems to be overrated.