Need help identifying these saints

Started by Acolyte, September 20, 2021, 03:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acolyte

These windows at my parish are named "mystery windows". I'm trying to identify the women and men in each one.

Any ideas ? Another parishioner and myself have spent hours searching the web. The adoration window is from the Bavarian Art Institute. (Actually, both appear to be)
"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"
Leviticus 26:17

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."
Fr. Lawrence Daniel Carney III

Christe Eleison

Quote from: Acolyte on September 20, 2021, 03:16:53 PM
These windows at my parish are named "mystery windows". I'm trying to identify the women and men in each one.

Any ideas ? Another parishioner and myself have spent hours searching the web. The adoration window is from the Bavarian Art Institute. (Actually, both appear to be)

Hello Acolyte :seeya:

Beautiful stained glass windows.
I am still trying to figure it out, but taking a guess on the gentlemen, due to the clothing.
The Saint dressed like an acolyte/altar server could be St. Aloysius Gonzaga.
And the one in black could be Saint Stanislaus Kostka.
I will keep trying to verify it all.

God Bless you! :pray2:

Christe Eleison

Acolyte,

If you would be ok with disclosing what state you are in, as well as what was the predominant ethnicity that migrated to the region where the Church is built.
Then we can get an idea of which country to focus on.

It is clear that both are from the Bavarian Art Institute. Do you have any idea who the artist was?

I do not know if you already looked at this. I just found it. I will try to check each window.

https://omeka.chrc-phila.org/items/show/7439#?c=&m=&s=&cv=

WINDOWS OF THE ROYAL BAVARIAN ART INSTITUTE : STAINED GLASS WINDOWS DESIGNED AND EXECUTED BY F.X. ZETTLER. MUNICH

Acolyte

Quote from: Christe Eleison on September 20, 2021, 04:10:58 PM
Quote from: Acolyte on September 20, 2021, 03:16:53 PM

Hello Acolyte :seeya:

Beautiful stained glass windows.
I am still trying to figure it out, but taking a guess on the gentlemen, due to the clothing.
The Saint dressed like an acolyte/altar server could be St. Aloysius Gonzaga.
And the one in black could be Saint Stanislaus Kostka.
I will keep trying to verify it all.

God Bless you! :pray2:

You may be right !

"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."

Christe Eleison

Click on this link, the top stained glass window has written Saint Stanislaus Kostka. He looks like the Saint in your window.

https://pghshrines.org/royal-bavarian-art-institute-munich-glass

I hope that others viewing this thread will give their opinions as well.

Acolyte

Quote from: Christe Eleison on September 20, 2021, 04:26:41 PM
Acolyte,

If you would be ok with disclosing what state you are in, as well as what was the predominant ethnicity that migrated to the region where the Church is built.

It is clear that both are from the Bavarian Art Institute. Do you have any idea who the artist was?

I do not know if you already looked at this. I just found it. I will try to check each window.

WINDOWS OF THE ROYAL BAVARIAN ART INSTITUTE : STAINED GLASS WINDOWS DESIGNED AND EXECUTED BY F.X. ZETTLER. MUNICH
St Martin of Tours, Louisville KY
German immigrants.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Martin_of_Tours_Catholic_Church_(Louisville,_Kentucky)

Thank you for helping ! I'm blessed to care for it (security desk) 32 hours a week. The view from my desk...
St Alphonsus

Christe Eleison

Dear Acolyte, :seeya:

I am just guessing that one of the Nuns might be Saint Jane Frances de Chantal.

I will keep looking around & let you know what I find. Either way, the windows are gorgeous! You are definitely blessed!

The names at the bottom of the windows seem to be German names, probably the people that funded the construction of the windows.

God Bless you!

:pray2:

Acolyte

I'll check back... Time to make rounds and such.

God Bless !
St Alphonsus

Christe Eleison

Quote from: Acolyte on September 20, 2021, 04:42:35 PM
Acolyte,

German immigrants.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Martin_of_Tours_Catholic_Church_(Louisville,_Kentucky)

Thank you for helping ! I'm blessed to care for it (security desk) 32 hours a week. The view from my desk...

WOW! The Church is beautiful, gorgeous & it fits a lot of people! AMAZING! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I love your Church!

Can you imagine being there when it was brand new, packed with so many Catholics?!

And you are very blessed to care for it! You are with Our Blessed Lord that entire time!!  Please continue to pray for all of us when you are there!

How many times a week do you have the TLM?

Thank you for all of the pictures! :thumbsup:

May God Bless you, Acolyte! :pray3:

Acolyte

Quote from: Christe Eleison on September 20, 2021, 05:00:40 PM
Acolyte,

German immigrants.

WOW! The Church is beautiful, gorgeous & it fits a lot of people! AMAZING! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I love your Church!

Can you imagine being there when it was brand new, packed with so many Catholics?!

And you are very blessed to care for it! You are with Our Blessed Lord that entire time!!  Please continue to pray for all of us when you are there!

Yes I am indeed blessed. TLM Sundays at noon. And Holy Days as well at 7pm.
Open 24/7.

Even one of the NO masses is prayed ad orientem. The table altar has wheels and is pushed to the side for that mass. Our associate pastor is learning the TLM (low mass for now) and he prays the NO ad orientem.
All masses use the Communion rail. No EMHC, altar girls, and 90% of the music is Gregorian chant and sacred polyphony. Not a typical diocesan parish. Perpetual Adoration as well.

Our Pastor prays the sung High Mass and certainly has the voice for it.

Our St Gregory chapel has a last supper window c. 1500's

St Alphonsus

Christe Eleison

Dear Acolyte,

The other Nun, could be Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque.
I am guessing based on the fact that they are both dressed in the
Habit of the Order of the Visitation.

And Saint Jane Frances de Chantal  was the foundress of the Order of the Visitation.

I will keep looking around  :)

God Bless you!

:pray2:

Christe Eleison

Quote from: Acolyte on September 20, 2021, 05:36:58 PM
Quote from: Christe Eleison on September 20, 2021, 05:00:40 PM
Acolyte,

German immigrants.

Yes I am indeed blessed. TLM Sundays at noon. And Holy Days as well at 7pm.
Open 24/7.

Even one of the NO masses is prayed ad orientem. The table altar has wheels and is pushed to the side for that mass. Our associate pastor is learning the TLM (low mass for now) and he prays the NO ad orientem.
All masses use the Communion rail. No EMHC, altar girls, and 90% of the music is Gregorian chant and sacred polyphony. Not a typical diocesan parish. Perpetual Adoration as well.

Our Pastor prays the sung High Mass and certainly has the voice for it.

Our St Gregory chapel has a last supper window c. 1500's

Gorgeous! What a beautiful picture! I love it all!
I pray that I am able to visit your Church one day! :pray1:
I also pray that you are able to keep all of the traditional devotions, Masses, etc. :pray2:
May God protect your parish :pray1: May Our Blessed Mother wrap her mantle around
this beautiful Church & its parishioners! :pray3:
Thank you so much for sharing this with us! You are definitely truly Blessed! :pray2:

Acolyte

Thank you for your kind words Christe Eleison !

St Martin's is a diamond in the rough in in this archdiocese.

Thanks again for taking time to look into the windows. Those links are very helpful and informative.

God bless,
and see you soon !
St Alphonsus