Recent posts

Family Life / Re: Good tip on washing machin...
Last post by Greg - Today at 12:17:37 AM
Quote from: drummerboy on June 15, 2024, 07:05:04 AM
Quote from: Greg on June 15, 2024, 01:11:37 AMthe water is not the biggest cost.  the electric to heat the water is higher.  here it costs about 40cents per KWh

double the water to wash double the energy to heat it.

I suppose this works for you being in the UK.  Can you still buy gas water heaters?  I'm assuming they have environmental regulations that prohibit them.  But that'd drop your water heating cost.  As for disposing of old appliances, I can just load it in the car and drop it off at the scrap yard.

You can yes and most people have them.  The problem is that most water cylinders storing the hot water are upstairs and most washing machines are downstairs.  So even if you have a machine with a hot and cold fill the water in the hot pipe is cold for the 30 feet of pipe between the washing machine and the hot water cylinder.  Unless you have a hot water source located right by the machine with a short pipe you still fill the machine with cold or at best lukewarm water.

In addition most machines only have cold fill.
Regarding the last question, unless they're on Kremlin payroll, which I think a "yuge" possibility, absolutely.

How does this guy support his family is another question.

He claimed that the Fed Gov was searching for him and actively hostile toward him. Why, prithee, would he then appear on a YouTube video so prominently?
Quote from: Heinrich on June 15, 2024, 04:22:20 PM
Quote from: Francisco Javier on June 14, 2024, 11:23:16 PM
Quote from: Heinrich on June 14, 2024, 12:45:34 PMCan we go back to talking about the family?

Idk what else is there to say about the family? They look like a beautiful family, trying their best to get by and adapt as foreigners in a foreign land. I wish them good luck. It's crazy to me that they fled without a job or seemingly much money to support their 6 kids, but God provides.

Practically, I guess we should be encouraging men to go into tech? It is kinda the only white collar job that is merit based and transferable skill wise internationally

Maybe the other surprising take away is that they were able to meet on Catholic Match. Is there an alternative site for trads that isn't completely barren?

I would guess the parents were able to budget and use savings to bridge down time income gaps. The amount of research prior to making the leap would take months, if not a year, to itemize, categorize. The prayer intensity had to be monumental. Did they hire an immigration lawyer? I wonder if the Russian intelligence agency has filed them and maintains active surveillance.

If the Russians are then they'll feel right at home like the good ol' land of the free!
Ask a Traditionalist / Re: Gospel of Matthew and the ...
Last post by drummerboy - June 15, 2024, 04:59:41 PM
So a guy once asked a rabbi: "Why do Jews always answer a question with another question"? The rabbi responds: "What's wrong with answering with a question"?
Quote from: Miriam_M on June 15, 2024, 12:42:05 AMI.m.o. the global reality here bears some similarities with that of the U.S. and Vietnam in the 1970's:  the more the U.S. military carpet-bombed, the more it antagonized world public opinion, and once the U.S. acknowledged that the war was unwinnable, the decision makers realized that it was beyond time to stop.
The U.S. Never "carpet bombed" anything in Vietnam, Laos or Cambodia; Operation "Linebacker" was the first time in the war that the U.S. Actually put its overwhelming air power to strike at Vietnam's war making capacity; and it quickly brought the North to the negotiating table; all contrary to what the "crying and howling" Liberal media was predicting.
President Nixon was so anxious to end our involvement in Vietnam before the coming election that he agreed to a terrible "peace deal" that insured the North Vietnamese troops could stay in S. Vietnamese territory and therefore would also guarantee the eventual fall of the S. Vietnamese regime. Totally disgraceful.
The Coffee Pot / Re: interesting purchase you m...
Last post by Heinrich - June 15, 2024, 04:23:53 PM
Quote from: Lynne on June 13, 2024, 05:54:43 PM
Quote from: drummerboy on June 13, 2024, 05:20:34 PM
Quote from: Lynne on June 13, 2024, 03:43:36 PMA lovely garden flag from www.tradflags.com. The fabric is very good quality.

Frau H's grandmother was French Canadian. Blanche Antoinette.

Are you of Quebec ancestry?

Yes! My great-grandfather came down from Granby, Quebec.

In our town in western Massachusetts, there was a large French Canadian population.
The fundamental problem in the Supreme Court is not getting enough Conservative justices to rule according to the U.S. Constitution (which Trump did); it is the very Constitution itself which does not recognize Our Lord Jesus Christ, and the 10 Commandments. All that a "conservative" justice can do is rule on whether a law is in accord with the Constitution or it isn't. Even a Traditional Catholic justice that believed in the Kingship of Christ, is obliged to put aside his religious convictions and rule solely on this "agnostic" basis. It is a perfect formula for disaster: Christ and Barabbas on the same equal footing. 
Traditional Catholic Discussion / Re: American SSPX Family Moves...
Last post by Heinrich - June 15, 2024, 04:22:20 PM
Quote from: Francisco Javier on June 14, 2024, 11:23:16 PM
Quote from: Heinrich on June 14, 2024, 12:45:34 PMCan we go back to talking about the family?

Idk what else is there to say about the family? They look like a beautiful family, trying their best to get by and adapt as foreigners in a foreign land. I wish them good luck. It's crazy to me that they fled without a job or seemingly much money to support their 6 kids, but God provides.

Practically, I guess we should be encouraging men to go into tech? It is kinda the only white collar job that is merit based and transferable skill wise internationally

Maybe the other surprising take away is that they were able to meet on Catholic Match. Is there an alternative site for trads that isn't completely barren?

I would guess the parents were able to budget and use savings to bridge down time income gaps. The amount of research prior to making the leap would take months, if not a year, to itemize, categorize. The prayer intensity had to be monumental. Did they hire an immigration lawyer? I wonder if the Russian intelligence agency has filed them and maintains active surveillance.
General Catholic Discussion / Re: New Vatican document says ...
Last post by Aethel - June 15, 2024, 04:20:32 PM
Oh of course the whole Orthodox world is not going to accept this. The Russians, Serbs, OCA, Bulgarians, Romanians, Albanians, I would wager even the Polish Orthodox will NOT accept this.

The Ecumenical Patriarch and Ukrainians will. The Greeks and Antiochians? I don't think they will just due to the influence of conservative members in their Churches, but their leadership is totally on board and leftist. So if they could get away with it without backlash from the conservatives, they would.

But it goes to show you how ignorant they are that they think if the leader of the Orthodox Church accepts the whole world will accept.

I just wonder how it is that they could be so historically knowledgeable about Church history yet be so ignorant to the geopolitical realities - my guess is that the Orthodox are the ones directing and leading the discussion because they know history more than Rome does, so Rome just defers to their knowledge - knowledgeable Roman Catholics tend to be more knowledgeable about Church history from the 1200s onward (as such theology is more clear and more related to Western Europe than the first Millenium, which is all about the Byzantine Empire screwing things up), Orthodox know the First Millenium more.
The Bookstore / Re: RULE/MARTYROLOGY THREAD
Last post by OmniaInstaurareInChristo - June 15, 2024, 04:18:55 PM
The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for June 16:

CHAPTER XIII
How Lauds are to be said on Week-days

On week-days let Lauds be celebrated in the manner following. Let the sixty-sixth Psalm be said without an antiphon, as on Sundays, and somewhat slowly, in order that all may be in time for the fiftieth, which is to be said with an antiphon. After this let two other Psalms be said according to custom; that is, on Monday, the fifth and thirty-fifth: on Tuesday, the forty-second and fifty-sixth: on Wednesday, the sixty-third and sixty-fourth: on Thursday, the eighty-seventh and eighty-ninth: on Friday, the seventy-fifth and ninety-first: and on Saturday, the hundred and forty-second and the Canticle from Deuteronomy, which must be divided into two Glorias. But on the other days let canticles from the prophets be said, each on its proper day, according to the practice of the Roman Church. Then let the Psalms of praise follow, and after them a lesson from the Apostle, to be said by heart, a responsory, a hymn, a versicle, a canticle out of the Gospel, the Litany, and so conclude.

Martyrology-June 17th
Roman Martyrology-June 17th- on this date in various years-

At Rome, during the persecution of Diocletian, the birthday of two hundred and sixty-two martyrs, who were put to death for the faith of Christ, and buried on the old Salarian Way, at the foot of Cucumer Hill.

At Besancon in France, St. Antidius, bishop and martyr, who was slain by the Vandals for the faith of Christ.

At Apollonia in Macedonia, the holy martyrs Isaurus, a deacon, Innocent, Felix, Jeremias, and Peregrinus, all of them Athenians who were tortured in various ways by the tribune Tripontius, and beheaded.

At Terracina in Campania, St. Montanus, a soldier, who received the crown of martyrdom after suffering many torments, in the time of Emperor Hadrian and the governor Leontius.

At Venafro in Campania, the holy martyrs Nicander and Marcian, who were beheaded in the persecution of Maximian.

At Chalcedon, the holy martyrs Manuel, Sabel, and Ismæl, whom the king of Persia sent as ambassadors to Julian the Apostate to obtain peace. Having firmly refused to worship idols when commanded by the emperor, they were put to the sword.

At Amelia in Umbria, Bishop St. Himerius, whose body was translated to Cremona.

In the territory of Bourges, St. Gundulphus, bishop.

At Orleans in France, St. Avitus, priest and confessor.

In Phrygia, St. Hypatius, confessor.

Also, St. Bessarion, anchoret.

At Pisa in Tuscany, St. Rainerius, confessor.

And elsewhere in divers places, many other holy martyrs, confessors, and holy virgins.
R. Thanks be to God.