When to baptize?

Started by DuxLux, April 25, 2024, 11:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuxLux

When is it appropriate to baptize the newborn (i.e. time after birth)?
"Dominus Illuminatio Mea" Psalmus XXVII; Universitas Oxoniensis

"Deus Lux Mea Est" Universitas Catholica Americae

"Ignoratio Scripturarum, ignoratio Christi est" Sancti Hieronymus

drummerboy

As soon as practically possible with the priest.  Usually within 2 weeks (but most often sooner).  Don't do what one of my in -laws did and wait till the baby is old enough to take good pictures. And don't wait a few months till the priest makes you take catecetichal courses or something g similar either.  Now that Easter is past they won't make you wait till Easter either.  But any priest who's serious will baptize ASAP
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Bonaventure

QuoteAs soon as practically possible with the priest.

This.

We waited 3 weeks only because my wife was bed bound after the C Section. Would have been way sooner if she were not sliced open.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

LausTibiChriste

We waited 19 days for my son, same reason as Bonaventure

For our daughter, it was 11 days after birth. Probably could've done it sooner but Father was out of town

An acquaintance I know from the NO had his 2 kids baptized the next day lol. Pretty old school for a modernist.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Bonaventure

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on April 25, 2024, 12:30:32 PMAn acquaintance I know from the NO had his 2 kids baptized the next day lol. Pretty old school for a modernist.

A bread worshipping, dubious sacrament attending, 99% sacrament invalid availing, member of a false sect? Who if, resisting and recognizing Bergoglio or the NO at all, has a position aligned with the enemies of the Church?

;)
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Bonaventure on April 25, 2024, 12:33:19 PM
Quote from: LausTibiChriste on April 25, 2024, 12:30:32 PMAn acquaintance I know from the NO had his 2 kids baptized the next day lol. Pretty old school for a modernist.

A bread worshipping, dubious sacrament attending, 99% sacrament invalid availing, member of a false sect? Who if, resisting and recognizing Bergoglio or the NO at all, has a position aligned with the enemies of the Church?

;)

Broken clock, twice a day.

What's even more remarkable was he thought Balthasar was the theologian par excellence.

Why even baptize if you think hell could be empty?
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Kaesekopf

From Jone-Adelman, Moral Theology:
Quote476. - II. Infant Baptism. 1. Children of Catholic parents should be baptized as soon as possible (C. 770).  Postponing Baptism without a reason is sinful.  Many authors hold that the delay of one month without any reason or more than two months with a reason, is mortally sinful.

I've heard of some doing it within 72 hours.  Most, I assume, do it within a week.  In former times, apparently the godparents would take the child off to be baptized, while the mother convalesced at home.  Putting it off (needlessly) seems imprudent.  Personally, I've had my children baptized within 2 weeks (and even then I felt nervous waiting that long - though the godfather was traveling and unable to attend). 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

The Curt Jester

The longest we have ever waited is the next week.  The earliest was three days later.  We tell family when the baptism is and if they can make it, great.  If not... still great.  Baptism time isn't for convenience of the family.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Mushroom

I baptized our daughter as soon as possible, it was in the Novus Ordo, I recently got baptized myself a few months ago. I asked my priest if we could do it the week after when I came to mass. I was pretty sore (from the birth) at least for that week after she was born so I don't think baptism would have been possible.

Stu Cool

Our longest was six weeks.  Shortest was 9 days. Our biggest problem is scheduling it since we did traditional baptisms in a diocesan church so we had to try to pinpoint dates near the due date but obviously can't pick when babies come.

benedicite

The tradition was to have the child baptized on the way home from the hospital.

Bonaventure

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on April 25, 2024, 12:30:32 PMWe waited 19 days for my son, same reason as Bonaventure

I actually counted and it was 19 days for us.

We were in the hospital for 5 days after birth.

The boy was in the NICU for 2 days, 3 days after we came home.(Jaundice)

It was not grave enough to have to have an emergency baptism. But I was on standby with holy water if ever.

benedicite

In the 1790s Mgr. Penlaver instructed his priests to go through their parishes encouraging their parishioners that that when a baby was born, they should within the week bring the baby to be baptized within the week of the baby's birth.