"Rosebud."

Started by Mono no aware, September 19, 2014, 12:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erin is nice

I'm 33. I think of millenials as being born in the late 80's not early 80's.

Lydia Purpuraria

Quote from: erin is nice on September 20, 2014, 10:48:43 AM

I think millenials "technically" start in 1980. I missed it by a year.

btw, I took Chestertonian's test and it said I am halfway between the silent generation and baby boomers. lol.

Lydia Purpuraria

Quote from: Pon de Replay on September 19, 2014, 09:57:22 PM
Lydia, that song is perfect.  John Lennon.  Thank you.

:toth:

You are welcome!

Perhaps it can serve as a prelude to a new thread, "the perfect song"? lol

Non Nobis

Quote from: Lydia Purpuraria on September 20, 2014, 11:09:43 AM

btw, I took Chestertonian's test and it said I am halfway between the silent generation and baby boomers. lol.

That's what it said for me too!  But I am a baby boomer.  (Shh, it's a secret. Well it was a secret, almost.)

I liked the bit of Sufjan Stevens that I heard for the first time here.  Oh no, that ruined the baby boomer generation.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Vanna Grace

Quote from: Chestertonian on September 20, 2014, 10:18:53 AM
Quote from: erin is nice on September 20, 2014, 10:00:09 AM
Quote from: Pon de Replay on September 19, 2014, 06:50:11 PM
And it has been fun: I am glad we got to engage in some silly banter, Chestertonian, to bridge the enormous chasm between us.  Because you and I are very different people, with different views and extremely different tastes.  You rate Sufjan Stevens higher than Jane's Addiction.  So does Erin.  I am aghast.  oh you millennials how I abhor your generation.  But not you two personally.  You're good eggs.

I'm pretty sure Chestertonian and I are a little too old to be called 'millenials'...

Change your mind, Mr. Brockle.
how old are you im 32

Theres a ."hhow millennial are you "quiz:

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/how-millennial-are-you/

i googled millennial and it said a person who was approaching young adulthood around the millennium i.e year 2000

in the year 2000 i finished high school and started college at yeshiva university...

We were called Gen Xers...I'm 37...are the millennials the generation after Xers?

And for what it is worth,since we don't know each other, I enjoy reading your posts Pon. I think perfection is an elusive beast. What we think of as perfection today, we may see as subpar with tomorrow's greater wisdom. Have you ever written something, loved it and then reread it a couple of weeks later only to be appalled that you ever thought it was good and promptly declare it crap? Happens to me all the time. Only thing to do is keep posting. Hedge your bets,so to speak.

zork

Quote from: Vanna Grace on September 20, 2014, 06:45:20 PM

We were called Gen Xers...I'm 37...are the millennials the generation after Xers?

They are, and they are called Generation Y.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Lydia Purpuraria

Quote from: Non Nobis on September 20, 2014, 04:46:45 PM
Quote from: Lydia Purpuraria on September 20, 2014, 11:09:43 AM

That's what it said for me too!  But I am a baby boomer.  (Shh, it's a secret. Well it was a secret, almost.)

I won't tell anyone.   ;D

LouisIX

And what will you do when you perform a perfect (or at least supreme, as man can reach no true perfection in his limited nature) act?  What will you do when, one year from now, you, frail, gaunt, and small (in true literary fashion) happen upon a Muslim woman in the street.  You barely notice her, but it is a nice day and you smile at her while you pass, humming the ecstatic sound of the Salve Regina.  As it lands upon the ear of the woman, it intoxicates her in a simultaneously comforting and mysterious way, planting a seed of beauty which eventually reaches full bloom in her later conversion and eventual elevation into the beatific vision?

Will you then destroy yourself, having fulfilled your purpose?  I certainly hope not.  If you have reached anything approaching perfection, it is because God worketh within you.  God's ways are mysterious and only He can tell us when He is done working with and through us.  Perfection is not to be achieved for its own sake.  It is to be achieved for the sake of others and thus you continue caroling to the world like a Christian bodhisattva until Hope has transformed the world.

SD is a small world unto itself, quite imperfect, but imbued with a struggling beauty, not unlike our world.  You ought not to leave now that you've begun to actualize the best potencies within you and in doing so, illuminating this small world in part.  Perfection's achievement is only meaningful insofar as it is extended and dispersed like a deluge.  You've lifted the corner, but you must continue to turn the pages.

All of this is to say simply, "Do not go."

IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

LouisIX

Quote from: Pon de Replay on September 19, 2014, 07:59:06 PM
But he knows we both like Pink Floyd and the Beatles.

And I suspect many more things, too.  No apology is needed, of course.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

erin is nice

Mr. Brockle is currently active elsewhere, so I can still enjoy his posts from a distance  :lol:

Chestertonian

Quote from: erin is nice on October 02, 2014, 09:14:13 AM
Mr. Brockle is currently active elsewhere, so I can still enjoy his posts from a distance  :lol:

he moved to a different neighborhood?
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Mono no aware

Quote from: Chestertonian on October 02, 2014, 10:02:20 AM
Quote from: erin is nice on October 02, 2014, 09:14:13 AM
Mr. Brockle is currently active elsewhere, so I can still enjoy his posts from a distance

he moved to a different neighborhood?

I did.  I feel bad about it.  Now it looks as if I left here out of dissatisfaction, to frolic in greener pastures.  Which is not the case.  In fact, I have to say, I really miss the clean (and ad-free) layout of this forum: the pale grayish blues, the generous line spacing, and the fact that it accepts the double-spaces at the end of my sentences instead of mashing them into one.  I was taught to double-space at the end of a typed sentence, and I get aggravated when my double spaces are negated.  SD is so much easier on the eyes, and that's just for starters. 

TD does have a couple of really good posters that you guys don't, though.  jeff, for example, is awesome.  He's the resident Queen aficionado.  There was a troll here recently calling himself sheerheartattack who I realized (belatedly) was doing a jeff impersonation.  A lot of the conversations at TD tend to veer off into Queen digressions.  I'd forgotten how cool Queen are.  "Fat-Bottomed Girls" cracks me up every time I hear it.  That's got to be their best song.  "King Mercury."  And Cleves made a morbid joke about "Fat-Bottomed Girls" being played at his mother's funeral.  That's some rare wicked humor.

But I wrote "the perfecy poem" (sorry, Chestertonian) on TD a couple days ago, so now I can leave there, too.  I'm just going to finish my interview with Lydia and I'll be done.  Because I really shouldn't be on any of these forums.  I desperately need to focus on my writing, and posting on forums is my means of procrastination.  The internet is very seductive when you're working on a solitary project like writing.  You get lonely, sitting at the computer and pacing around the house, wrestling with the ideas in your head; it's such an insular process—and then there's the temptation of being able to have a discussion with other people, even if they're virtual, to break up the isolation.  At the click of a mouse.  But I must resist.  I have to go "cold turkey."  Like the John Lennon song.  Damn you, internet.

This was my perfect poem.

Sufjan Stevens is
A hipster Liberace.
Sufjan Stevens
ruins everything.

And erin, it was diabolic of you to post a rebuttal on the Sufjan Stevens thread after I'd left.  I was very tempted to write something.  But even his staged attempts at cornpone humility are cheesy and affected.  Look at him with that straw hat and banjo.  The only thing missing is a stalk of wheat in his mouth.  He's like, "check out me.  This is my Midwestern John Cougar Mellencamp salt-of-the-earth look.  But it's meant to be ironic.  Rain on the scarecrow."  Ha!  What a doofus.

erin is nice

I knew someone in college who loved Queen. I couldn't stand the guy. Blech.

I won't be posting any Sufjan for a month, so maybe you could stay for a while. It's Elliott Smith Memorial Month.

Mono no aware

Do you not like Queen?

Kaesekopf

I need the description to this subforum to be changed to
Say "hello," "I'll be back", or inquire about other members in this subforum.

:lol:
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.