Process of Convert Entering Seminary

Started by bben15, April 19, 2017, 08:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bben15

First, I wanted to announce that after years of waiting, I was received into the Church a few days ago. I received my First Holy Communion and the Sacrament of Confirmation. Praise God! For those of you who do not know, I had wanted to become Catholic since I was fourteen, but my parents prevented me from converting because of their views toward the Catholic Church, so I was only able to start the process of conversion when I was 18.

Second, I'm not sure if many on this forum are aware, but I have been discerning the priesthood since I was fifteen years old. A few years ago, I talked to a few priests about it, but none of them took me seriously. But, as just stated, I have been seriously discerning it since then--I think about it every day.

It is my understanding that most dioceses do not allow converts to enter seminary until after a few years of living as a Catholic to ensure that they are seriously discerning a vocation. But I'm posting this to ask for any general advice that anyone might have, such as the steps that I should take?

If you are curious about my state in life, I am a nineteen-year-old college freshman and I am currently working toward a B.S. in Chemistry.

Thank you for your help, and Happy Easter!

Kaesekopf

Reach out to the vocations director of where you'd like to enter.  He'll be most useful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Hat And Beard

First of all, do well in your studies. Though chemistry may seem irrelevant to becoming a priest at first glance, a lot of the things you learn about yourself and others will be very important if you're to enter the seminary.

Daily mass as often as you can make it is very important. Also, try to go to the same confessor every time. After he's known you for a couple years, he'll be able to advise you on your vocation better and you can bring it up.

Jayne

The typical academic component of seminary is a Master of Divinity degree, so I think most places want seminarians after they have an undergrad degree. You would probably have to wait a few years, even if you weren't a convert, in order to complete your chemistry degree.

One seminary that does take students directly from high school is St. Philip's in Toronto, run by Oratorians.  They have these students do a philosophy program specifically designed as a basis for future studies in theology.  As St. Thomas put it, "Theology is the queen of sciences and philosophy is her handmaiden."

I suggest that you prepare for seminary academically by doing some reading in philosophy, especially Aristotle.  Be cautious of philosophy courses taught in secular universities. These typically promote atheism and liberalism. 

Here is St. Philip's philosophy division academic calendar on a pdf.  http://oratory-toronto.org/pdf/Semcat.pdf  This will give you lots of ideas on studies and formation that you can incorporate in your life.

They also have a facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/StPhilipNeriOratory/

They recently introduced a pre-theology program called "the Map Year" which you can read about here:http://map-year.com/  This will also give you ideas about things to read and think about.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Gardener

Canon Law requires a minimum 2 years from conversion to acceptance in a seminary.

It would be advisable to finish your degree so you have something to fall back on if you are not part of the 33% average that makes it to Ordination.

The best priests I've known so far have life experience before entering the Priesthood. That's not to say high school > seminary > Priesthood priests have been *bad*, they just don't have life experience. Their advice is often theoretically correct but misses reality as applied.

Think of it this way: you can advise based on theory or you can advised based on theory being informed by actual experience.

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Jacob

Learn everything you can about being an adult human out in the world who has to pay his own bills and balance his own budget.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Lynne

Quote from: Jacob on April 20, 2017, 08:38:30 AM
Learn everything you can about being an adult human out in the world who has to pay his own bills and balance his own budget.

And stay out of debt.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

MilesChristi

Finish your studies, and use that time to discern.
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Bonaventure

Quote from: Gardener on April 20, 2017, 06:48:22 AM
The best priests I've known so far have life experience before entering the Priesthood. That's not to say high school > seminary > Priesthood priests have been *bad*, they just don't have life experience. Their advice is often theoretically correct but misses reality as applied.

Same.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

RedCaves

As a chemist, I would recommend that you at least finish your education just in case you discern that the priesthood is not for you.

We should PM about this, too.

Greg

Yes, don't rush it, or you'll be a catholitic converter. ;D
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

RedCaves

Quote from: Greg on April 24, 2017, 02:15:42 PM
Yes, don't rush it, or you'll be a catholitic converter. ;D

A CHEMISTRY JOKE! XD

Nice one, man.

Greg

Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Compline45

Quote from: Bonaventure on April 20, 2017, 12:20:04 PM

Same.

I'm not saying there isn't some truth to this, but it's also the EXACT SAME argument used for married priests: they are able to give better advice because they have the experience. A priest is more than a counselor.

Gardener

Quote from: Compline45 on April 26, 2017, 05:43:42 AM
Quote from: Bonaventure on April 20, 2017, 12:20:04 PM

Same.

I'm not saying there isn't some truth to this, but it's also the EXACT SAME argument used for married priests: they are able to give better advice because they have the experience. A priest is more than a counselor.

General life experience doesn't involve a question of Canon Law and continually dividing time between duties. That a priest IS more than a Counselor is exactly why the comparison between not having some 26 year old with no experience in anything theorize his parish into stupidity, is different than someone trying to juggle everything a priest does in conjunction with married/family life.

Life experience is past. Marriage is continual.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe