Humility: Good or Bad?

Started by Probius, October 12, 2013, 08:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Probius

Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on November 30, 2013, 06:41:10 AM
Flyboy you just replaced God....with yourself. Please define metaphysical...seems to me this is. Nonexistan in atheistic terms. And if youll notice I said ATHEISM not atheists..have no answer. This goes to my point that there is no such thing as a true atheists....only cafeteria atheists who pick and choose when to deny a creator.

Metaphysics is the first philosophical branch of knowledge.  It deals with being qua being.  This is the starting point for any philosopher.  Ayn Rand begins her philosophy with two axioms; existence exists and A is A.
You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection." - The Buddha

"Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate." - Carl Jung

voxxpopulisuxx

Bla bla bla ha ha ha ha!.You hold the truth like a cat holds a cattoy
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

tradical

Quote from: Crimson Flyboy on November 30, 2013, 11:04:05 AM

Flyboy you just replaced God....with yourself. Please define metaphysical...seems to me this is. Nonexistan in atheistic terms. And if youll notice I said ATHEISM not atheists..have no answer. This goes to my point that there is no such thing as a true atheists....only cafeteria atheists who pick and choose when to deny a creator.

Metaphysics is the first philosophical branch of knowledge.  It deals with being qua being.  This is the starting point for any philosopher.  Ayn Rand begins her philosophy with two axioms; existence exists and A is A.

Hi Crimson,

Your first post piqued my interest.

QuoteLouis IX and Gerard, we can pick up where we left off here.

I'll start by stating that humility is bad and I prefer pride.  Humility is anti-humanistic, while pride is a wonderful virtue that celebrates man qua man.

Please provide your definition of:

• Humility
  • Bad
  • Pride
  • humanistic
  • virtue
  • man

God Bless!!!
P^3
Prayer
Penance
Patience

My Blog: http://tradicat.blogspot.ca/

Probius

Quote from: tradical on November 30, 2013, 06:32:04 PM

Hi Crimson,

I'll start by stating that humility is bad and I prefer pride.  Humility is anti-humanistic, while pride is a wonderful virtue that celebrates man qua man.

• Humility
  • Bad
  • Pride
  • humanistic
  • virtue
  • man

God Bless!!!

Humility is to put others or other things ahead of one's own life in terms of value.  It is to have a miserable inferiority complex.
Something is bad in so far as it harms man in his quest for happiness.  Good and bad only have meaning in the context of human life.
Pride is to take joy in one's own accomplishments.
Humanistic is that which promotes human life as being the highest good.
A virtue is something which gives value to men as individuals.
Man is a rational animal.
You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection." - The Buddha

"Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate." - Carl Jung

tradical

Quote from: Crimson Flyboy on November 30, 2013, 08:35:50 PM

Hi Crimson,

• Humility
  • Bad
  • Pride
  • humanistic
  • virtue
  • man

God Bless!!!

Humility is to put others or other things ahead of one's own life in terms of value.  It is to have a miserable inferiority complex.
Something is bad in so far as it harms man in his quest for happiness.  Good and bad only have meaning in the context of human life.

Humility: I disagree with your definition.  Humility, in Catholicism is truth about one's own worth, in terms of intrinsic value as well as ability.

Bad: I will set aside your definition for the moment because you have introduced a new term. What is happiness?

Pride: So the joy a serial killer feels in accomplishing each murder meets your definition.  Am I understanding you correctly?

Also: What is joy?

Humanistic: If human life is the greatest good, then your concept of pride appears to be at variance with this definition.

Virtue: Is this something that gives value to men (or women) or something that men (or women) value? 

Man a rational animal: Does this mean that a man who looses the ability to rationalize (mental illness) is no longer a man?

God bless!
P^3
Prayer
Penance
Patience

voxxpopulisuxx

Hi Crimson,

• Humility
  • Bad
  • Pride
  • humanistic
  • virtue
  • man

God Bless!!!

Man is the highest good so by definition you hold Man as god....because you hold that there is a "good" (your own words dont try to squirm away you of wormy reasoning)
Flyboys flow chart of reasoning

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Probius

Quote from: tradical on November 30, 2013, 09:03:03 PM

Hi Crimson,

• Humility
  • Bad
  • Pride
  • humanistic
  • virtue
  • man

God Bless!!!

Humility: I disagree with your definition.  Humility, in Catholicism is truth about one's own worth, in terms of intrinsic value as well as ability.

Bad: I will set aside your definition for the moment because you have introduced a new term. What is happiness?

Pride: So the joy a serial killer feels in accomplishing each murder meets your definition.  Am I understanding you correctly?

Humanistic: If human life is the greatest good, then your concept of pride appears to be at variance with this definition.

Virtue: Is this something that gives value to men (or women) or something that men (or women) value? 

Man a rational animal: Does this mean that a man who looses the ability to rationalize (mental illness) is no longer a man?

God bless!

Happiness is the good feeling one gets from the enjoyment of life.  Murder is not accomplishing anything rational.  Pride is the joy, or happiness, one gets from achieving one's goals, assuming these are rational goals which are for the betterment of his life and that of others.

Human life is the highest good, and anything which goes against that is anti-humanistic.  Pride is the joy one has in making his life and the life of others better.

A virtue is a value which is worth men (or women) pursuing.  Some examples are: pride, selfishness (or self interest), productiveness, and reason.  These virtues also add value to the life of man.

Yes, as a dead man is also no longer a man.

Probius

Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on November 30, 2013, 09:09:38 PM

Hi Crimson,

• Humility
  • Bad
  • Pride
  • humanistic
  • virtue
  • man

God Bless!!!

Man is the highest good so by definition you hold Man as god....because you hold that there is a "good" (your own words dont try to squirm away you of wormy reasoning)
Flyboys flow chart of reasoning

Of course there is a good, anything which promotes man's life as a man.  Food and water are two examples.

voxxpopulisuxx

Once again round and round you go...you have crowned yourself almighty arbiter of good and bad. Of course you think humility bad...what god is any kind of god if hes humble.

911!

Probius

Good and bad are quite simple.  Food and water are good because they further life.  Cancer is bad because it ends life.  Human life is the highest good, and anything which furthers human life is good.  There is no need to complicate matters.

tradical

Quote from: Crimson Flyboy on November 30, 2013, 09:15:23 PM

Quote from: tradical on November 30, 2013, 09:03:03 PM

Hi Crimson,

• Humility
  • Bad
  • Pride
  • humanistic
  • virtue
  • man

God Bless!!!

God bless!

Happiness is the good feeling one gets from the enjoyment of life.  Murder is not accomplishing anything rational.  Pride is the joy, or happiness, one gets from achieving one's goals, assuming these are rational goals which are for the betterment of his life and that of others.

Human life is the highest good, and anything which goes against that is anti-humanistic.  Pride is the joy one has in making his life and the life of others better.

A virtue is a value which is worth men (or women) pursuing.  Some examples are: pride, selfishness (or self interest), productiveness, and reason.  These virtues also add value to the life of man.

Yes, as a dead man is also no longer a man.

You stated that pride was taking joy in one's accomplishments. Your original definition did not include rationality. 

Who is the judge of what constitutes a rational action?

Regarding "as a dead man is no longer a man", so following your reasoning the murder/killing/euthanization  of severely mentally handicapped, comatose, clinically insane, newborn as well as unborn babies is therefore licit. So if a serial killer preyed upon these population groups you would not consider it an irrational act nor a bad or anti-humanistic act as these 'people' are not human following your definition.

Are you certain that you have considered these consequences of your thought?

God bless!

P^3
Prayer
Penance
Patience

Recovering NOer

Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on November 30, 2013, 02:56:48 PM

So why do you keep taking the bait?  The rest of us learned to just ignore this guy a long time ago.

voxxpopulisuxx

Quote from: Recovering NOer on November 30, 2013, 10:21:37 PM
Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on November 30, 2013, 02:56:48 PM

So why do you keep taking the bait?  The rest of us learned to just ignore this guy a long time ago.
Ive been on hiatus and Im catching up.

911!

tradical

Quote from: Crimson Flyboy on November 30, 2013, 10:12:14 PM
Good and bad are quite simple.  Food and water are good because they further life.  Cancer is bad because it ends life.  Human life is the highest good, and anything which furthers human life is good.  There is no need to complicate matters.

Interesting ...
So if humility (as I defined it - your definition has a number of flaws)were demonstrated as furthering human life, following this definition, then you would be proved wrong.

For reference here is a more detailed explanation of how Catholics understand the virtue of humility.

QuoteThe virtue of humility may be defined: "A quality by which a person considering his own defects has a lowly opinion of himself and willingly submits himself to God and to others for God's sake." St. Bernard defines it: "A virtue by which a man knowing himself as he truly is, abases himself." These definitions coincide with that given by St. Thomas: "The virtue of humility", he says, "Consists in keeping oneself within one's own bounds, not reaching out to things above one, but submitting to one's superior" (Summa Contra Gent., bk. IV, ch. lv, tr. Rickaby). Newadvent

So if a person, subjectively thinking of 'his' accomplishments (pride) believes himself capable beyond his actual capability and attempts what he should not (countermanding his boss for example) and suffers the adverse co sequences - then pride is bad.

If a person practicing humility as above were to decide to not countermand his boss, knowing it to be beyond his ability, he would suffer no I'll effects, therefore true humility is good.

God bless!
P^3
Prayer
Penance
Patience

james03

QuoteAyn Rand begins her philosophy with two axioms; existence exists and A is A.
To be more precise, she stole it from Aristotle, who shows that to hold such axioms depends on a first cause.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"