Best book on American history?

Started by LausTibiChriste, December 24, 2023, 04:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LausTibiChriste

Even though I grew up next door, my knowledge of American history is severely lacking. Can y'all recommend to me your favorite books on American history?

I'm looking for general first and foremost, then specific era (Founding, Civil War, WW2 etc), then very specific (Presidents, movers, individual battles etc).

Bonus points for Catholic-centric books.

Thanks
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

A 1990s-era AP American History course textbook is probably your best bet.  (Just be sure to ignore anything after WWII.)

One of the earlier editions of the American Pageant would probably be a decent start -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_American_Pageant
this page left intentionally blank

drummerboy

I second American Pageant, I was my textbook in college.  As you're already a trad and "woke" to liberalism, etc, you'll sniff out the rotten fruit.  But it's a good overview, and reads quite well actually.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Santantonio

Puritan's Empire
Quote from: LausTibiChriste on December 24, 2023, 04:41:35 PMEven though I grew up next door, my knowledge of American history is severely lacking. Can y'all recommend to me your favorite books on American history?

I'm looking for general first and foremost, then specific era (Founding, Civil War, WW2 etc), then very specific (Presidents, movers, individual battles etc).

Bonus points for Catholic-centric books.

Thanks

here you go:

https://www.tumblarhouse.com/products/puritans-empire-charles-coulombe

Hat And Beard

Thirding The American Pageant. I feel like American History is too big/fact filled the way that we teach it to AP for there to be Catholic books that do the job. You'll no doubt find things you disagree with, but that's the best book for reading about it. It even looks like people have uploaded it to libgen.rs  ;)

drummerboy

An alternative method would be picking up a general history/biography of American presidents.  That would cover all the main events and trends.  Sorry I can't recommend any though
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne