Why women lose the dating game

Started by Kaesekopf, December 30, 2012, 11:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: erin is nice on January 04, 2013, 06:08:34 PM
They consider it overweight for women if the waist measurement is over 31 inches, right? Because that's when the health risks go up?

Not getting a man is considered a health risk for most women.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

OCLittleFlower

They consider it overweight for women if the waist measurement is over 31 inches, right? Because that's when the health risks go up?

No, there's a height/weight chart.  I can be overweight via the chart and still be under 31 inches.  But yes, some studies show that belly fat is worse.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Bonaventure

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on January 04, 2013, 06:47:09 PM

No, there's a height/weight chart.  I can be overweight via the chart and still be under 31 inches.  But yes, some studies show that belly fat is worse.

That's probably the BMI chart, which I don't think is 100% accurate.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Greg

Quote from: Ben on January 04, 2013, 05:38:14 PM
I bet a good number of the merely overweight would not be called "fat" if seen walking down the street. I associate fat with amorphousness, where you can no longer see the human form.

True that.  Based on BMI alone Mike Tyson was 'obese' when he was knocking out world champions and former world champions.  He is a short stocky guy with a lot of muscle mass.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

TerrorDæmonum

On the other hand, it is clear that most people cannot use the "I'm too above average in terms of muscular mass for the BMI chart to apply".

In fact, I think most people fall under "the BMI chart is spot on and I am too fat".

However, it is an overly formal way to judge a person's health and it is meant to be used with other medical tests, such as waist line measurements and blood work.

For most people though, I think the visual test works. Does anything spill over and is one's basic movement impaired?.

For "basic movement", jogging a few miles, standing up from a full squat with two legs, and climbing a tree would be the sort of thing I would consider to be "basic".

Lirael

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on January 04, 2013, 06:47:09 PM

Indeed: An "apple shape" has a greater health risk (mostly cardiovascular/endocrine...read: hypertension, high cholesterol, coronary artery disease, diabetes) than the "pear shape." However, regardless of shape, you should not be obese or fat. On the bright side, most women tend to be pears and men apples when they gain extra weight.  :)
Why art thou sad, o my soul? And why dost thou disquiet me?

Greg

Why does it matter?  People subject themselves to all sorts of risks of disease and slightly earlier death, through driving fast, poorly, in rain and snow, at night, without a safety belt, talking on a cellphone with driving, playing contact sports, smoking, regular consumption of alcohol, sun tanning etc etc etc.

While obesity might be a big killer it is only making people drop dead at 70 who would otherwise live to 80 on average.

What is this obsession with longevity?

Do those few extra years really matter that much?  To me they don't.  When I die is pretty unimportant to me and those 10 years are not going to be he best years of my life anyway.  If I could live my 20s again you might have a point.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Greg on January 05, 2013, 08:14:20 PM
Why does it matter?  People subject themselves to all sorts of risks of disease and slightly earlier death, through driving fast, poorly, in rain and snow, at night, without a safety belt, talking on a cellphone with driving, playing contact sports, smoking, regular consumption of alcohol, sun tanning etc etc etc.

While obesity might be a big killer it is only making people drop dead at 70 who would otherwise live to 80 on average.
It is giving people who are 20 diabetes, joint trouble, and reduced physical ability.

What is this obsession with longevity?
I do not think there is an obsession. I think quality of life is what concerns people more.

Bonaventure

Quote from: Pæniteo on January 06, 2013, 02:08:42 AM
I do not think there is an obsession. I think quality of life is what concerns people more.

At least with diabetes, it's no jokes. It's either lose weight and eat healthy now or take many pills, go to dialysis, lose limbs, or even go blind later. No one wants that. That's the medical side of being severely overweight. The social consequences are already bad enough. Watch the 500 lb man or some other video on Youtube. No one wants to live like that.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Greg

And few do live like that. Most are moderately overweight and have no significant problems.  20 to 40 lbs over your ideal bmi ain't going to make most people diabetic of blind.

Enjoy life, eat steaks, bacon, drink wine and beer. Do a little extra exercise but don't waste hours in the gym or jogging down the streets.

If you fit in an economy seat you're probably going to be ok.

Bonaventure

Quote from: Greg on January 06, 2013, 07:15:10 AM
And few do live like that. Most are moderately overweight and have no significant problems.  20 to 40 lbs over your ideal bmi ain't going to make most people diabetic of blind.

Enjoy life, eat steaks, bacon, drink wine and beer. Do a little extra exercise but don't waste hours in the gym or jogging down the streets.

If you fit in an economy seat you're probably going to be ok.

I agree. One shouldn't obsess over it. Health freaks and what not.

TerrorDæmonum

I think a person should accept their own choices without complaint.

It is easy for people who do not think at all about something to think that others who do are "obsessed" or going over the top.

That is the fact about life. For most things, most of the time, everyone will not actively consider what they are doing. We use habits and convenience to guide us through life.

In our land of plenty, the widespread availability of calorie rich food has led to the population swelling up because as human beings, we are made to live in need, and our biological responses reflect that. What made the Plains Indians tall and healthy and one of the tallest populations of their time also makes them prone to obesity, heart problems, and diabetes now.

The command to "enjoy life" is morally misguided though. One should make good use of one's time in life, regardless of how enjoyable it is, with the focus on the highest good first.

Greg

Quote from: Pæniteo on January 06, 2013, 11:48:04 AM
I think a person should accept their own choices without complaint.

It is easy for people who do not think at all about something to think that others who do are "obsessed" or going over the top.

That is the fact about life. For most things, most of the time, everyone will not actively consider what they are doing. We use habits and convenience to guide us through life.

In our land of plenty, the widespread availability of calorie rich food has led to the population swelling up because as human beings, we are made to live in need, and our biological responses reflect that. What made the Plains Indians tall and healthy and one of the tallest populations of their time also makes them prone to obesity, heart problems, and diabetes now.

The command to "enjoy life" is morally misguided though. One should make good use of one's time in life, regardless of how enjoyable it is, with the focus on the highest good first.

It is not a command, it is an opinion or suggestion based on 35 years of being around Trads.  They can be very anal about all sorts of things, not just the faith.  Some turn into sour, sad and over scrupulous characters.