Documentary explores the lie of the "Green Movement"

Started by Padraig, May 07, 2020, 09:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Padraig

An interesting documentary that goes through pretty much each method of supposedly "green" energy production, and reveals how every one of them relies on conventional energy production (natural gas and coal, primarily), and fails to recoup the "fossil fuels" and "carbon footprint" required to produce the technology or raw materials for their production. None of it is necessarily new information, but its rather staggering to see it all together in a cohesive format.

The really fascinating thing is that this was made by one of the most fanatically obsessed environmentalists, Jeff Gibbs. His main point is therefore that we're still not "doing enough," and his conclusion is (predictably) population control.

Be that as it may, it's still worth considering the fact that the entire "Green" movement is a massive hoax, and draw whatever conclusions you will.

[yt][/yt]

Graham

This is a pretty good documentary, at least on the question of the efficacy of so-called green energy, and the fact that Michael Moore has credibility with liberals makes it perfect for sharing with them.

Graham

The population control angle seems extraneous. His premise on population is that it exploded in large part thanks to cheap energy (oil), so when this historical anomaly expends itself the population would naturally decline in any case. And in fact the demographic trend lines already show population growth slowing and reversing within the century, so that "problem" is resolving even without peak oil or climate catastrophe to force it.

Graham

In passing, the reversal of population growth later this century will officially mark the end of the whole modern world (assuming nothing else, including divine intervention, does it in first).

Jayne

Latest development on this is that YouTube has come up with an excuse to remove it: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/may/26/michael-moore-film-planet-of-the-humans-removed-from-youtube?fbclid=IwAR0nAy8pCOmzqW24URlVCYlM8foyUGcG__zTo69MZM39dx-qdI7wqFJKVSc

QuoteThe movie, which has been condemned as inaccurate and misleading by climate scientists and activists, allegedly includes a clip used without the permission of the owner Toby Smith, who does not approve of the context in which his material is being used.

In response, the filmmakers denied violating fair usage rules and accused their critics of politically motivated censorship.

QuoteSmith, who has previously worked on energy and environmental issues, said he did not want his work associated with something he disagreed with. "I went directly to YouTube rather than approaching the filmmakers because I wasn't interested in negotiation. I don't support the documentary, I don't agree with its message and I don't like the misleading use of facts in its narrative."

Yeah, "politically motivated censorship" sounds about right.  Every time something like this happens, I become even more of a "climate change" sceptic.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Padraig

Padraig

Two updates:
1) It appears the film is back online.
2) The Wall Street Journal has a pretty good op-ed on the film.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/michael-moores-inconvenient-half-truth-11591400530?shareToken=st5e421e87d79f4534ae782d68f063626c&reflink=share_mobilewebshare

Michael Moore's Inconvenient Half-Truth
The lefty filmmaker finds green energy a capitalist scam but learns nothing about climate science.
By Holman W. Jenkins, Jr.
June 5, 2020 7:42 pm ET

Most of what left-wing film producer Michael Moore has to say about green energy in his latest film, "Planet of the Humans," is right: These technologies have nasty environmental impacts as do all products of industrial civilization. They are not going to make a dent in CO2.

A parade of experts is tapped to reinforce a point known to anybody who has looked at the electric grid. Because of their intermittency, wind and solar require backup from coal and gas. An engineer introducing a solar array in Lansing, Mich., is heard saying it will support 10 houses—to support the whole city would require 15 square miles of panels, or nearly half the town, and still need the town's local coal plant.

Neither Netflix nor any paid streaming service picked up the film, so Mr. Moore offered it free on YouTube, until YouTube took it down under an onslaught of green complaint and one flimsy copyright gripe about a week ago. Unexplained, the film was back on the site on Thursday, when I watched it.

Messrs. Moore and his director, the environmental journalist Jeff Gibbs, are scathing about such liberal environmentalists as Robert Kennedy Jr., Bill McKibben and Al Gore, who is portrayed as loading his pockets with "gold bars" rather than helping the planet. Unearthed is a claim that the former vice president inked a partnership with Goldman Sachs to exploit green energy opportunities before releasing his own eco-dread movie, "An Inconvenient Truth."

Mr. Moore's film is not fair to its enemies, bleats the left, but when did progressives mind his films not being fair when the enemies were gun-rights advocates or George W. Bush?

Messrs. Moore and Gibbs dump on the Sierra Club for peddling solar panels from its website, which the film says are frauds on any consumer who thinks he's helping the planet. They dump on Elon Musk and Michael Bloomberg and fund manager Jeremy Grantham with a line that made me chuckle: "The takeover of the environmental movement by capitalism is now complete." Over the years I've shifted to covering the media's lousy understanding of climate science only because I exhausted the subject Mr. Moore's film now discovers: the domestication of climate change by big business and its political lobbyists. I was happy to hear the eminent historian Adam Tooze reminiscing recently about an early gig with BP, in which he admitted the company's draping itself in green in the 1990s was meant to facilitate its expansion in dirty oil in the U.S. with the acquisition of Amoco and Atlantic Richfield Corp. That was the subject of a column here, oh, 19 years ago.

Unfortunately, halfway through Mr. Moore goes off the rails (or perhaps back onto the rails of ideological fixity). The billionaires and corporations he vilifies merely are following the incentives that, in cahoots with government and greens, they laid out for themselves, to create boondoggles that are mostly net contributors of CO2.

The same capitalism, under a different incentive, such as a carbon tax, could just as readily be relied upon to reduce the carbon intensity of industrial civilization—not that Mr. Moore offers any solution except an unstated hope that a green Hitler will arise to force humanity to procreate less.

In vain, we wait for his skepticism about green energy to extend to the climate doom that Mr. Gore and others are selling. Mr. Moore is selling the same doom only curable by ridding ourselves of industrial civilization. The problem isn't the CO2 molecule, we are told: "It's us. . . . We humans must accept that infinite growth on a finite planet is suicide."

Huh? Nothing is infinite except maybe God's mercy. Infinity is not a quantum that arises in human dilemmas. This counsel of despair is also discordant with the film's opening, in which Mr. Gibbs recalls the pollution problems of his youth—smoggy cities, burning rivers—in large measure corrected today.

Humans are having an impact on the planet, to be sure, but in our myopia that's all we see. The most successful animal species, in terms of biomass, is still the Antarctic krill or perhaps the common earthworm.

The extent of warming caused by rising CO2 is highly uncertain. This is what the science actually tells us. It's a more-or-less problem, not an end-of-the-world problem. Science does not say we are headed toward extinction for any specific reason, though it does say the Earth will likely be a riot of life long after humans (at least in present form) are gone.

For one group, though, a mood of apocalypticism may be fully warranted. If audiences take Mr. Moore's message to heart, it will mean the end of the world for many green-energy fixers and their pet environmental allies.

Copyright ©2020 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 87990cbe856818d5eddac44c7b1cdeb8