The Church Courtyard > Ask a Traditionalist

Hatred

(1/1)

TandJ:
I recently saw a person who I had a falling out with and realized I have some pent up hatred and anger issues with this person. While thinking about this situation, I remembered that God says that if you donít forgive others then God wonít forgive you for your sins. Does this mean that my sins Iíve confessed until now are not forgiven? Am I misunderstanding this?

Michael Wilson:
"Feelings" are not important; if you pray for this person and not wish them any evil even if you have a strong antipathy for them, then you are not sinning and you have forgiven them.

TandJ:
Well I donít wish her grave harm, but I donít greet her when I do see her, and I vent angrily to my spouse about it.

james03:

--- Quote ---Does this mean that my sins Iíve confessed until now are not forgiven?
--- End quote ---
Yes, in all likelihood you are going to hell because God puts a lot of traps and stipulations in your way.  When He called it "Good News", He was lying.
Please get the scruples fixed.

--- Quote ---but I donít greet her when I do see her, and I vent angrily to my spouse about it.
--- End quote ---
This is what women do.  God gives an allowance for this.

First, you are fine on previous confessions.  Say an act of contrition, and then bring it up in your next confessional.  Also, an easy way to get over hatred is to pray for the person, so try that.
Note if the person is unjust, you don't have to roll over.  I don't know the details, talk it over with your confessor of what is required.  Also, schedule a confession as people with scruples usually cause huge delays.

Michael Wilson:
Don't snub the person; try to be civil. If saying hello to them causes them anger, then don't.  Ask for the grace for this. Also, I found that praying for the person that I had strong feelings of antipathy towards, helped to lessen them a great deal and even overcome them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version