The Parish Hall > The Alps

Polyglot Problems

<< < (2/5) > >>

Christe Eleison:

--- Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on July 28, 2021, 12:37:45 PM ---
--- Quote from: Christe Eleison on July 27, 2021, 10:48:27 PM ---
--- Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on July 25, 2021, 04:20:54 PM ---11 Things Only Polyglots Will Understand

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzT4GLkFc_Q
--- End quote ---

This looks interesting, FLEUR!
Thank you :)

God bless!

--- End quote ---

It's just a bit of humor that anyone who speaks more than one language can relate to.  :)

--- End quote ---

Finally, got around to watching this. I loved it! It is so funny!  ;D
Hey, I know a little of this, a little of that, I think that should add up to another language, right?  ;)

Thanks for posting it, FLEUR!

Fleur-de-Lys:
9 More Things Only Polyglots Will Understand

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_4XJDXRuUk

Christe Eleison:

--- Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on August 11, 2021, 07:07:27 PM ---9 More Things Only Polyglots Will Understand

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_4XJDXRuUk
--- End quote ---

Funny video! Thanks for sharing it with us, Fleur! :thumbsup:

I loved the example of someone calling themselves a Polyglot because they knew how to say something in 20 something languages  :D See it adds up  ;)

Fleur-de-Lys:
I am intrigued by the question, "Does your personality change with each language?" I don't think mine does. I definitely change my tone of voice, facial expressions, and gestures. But those are just the nonverbal aspects of another language, and adopting them is part of proficiency. It might look like a dramatic transformation, especially when it occurs suddenly while switching languages, but I think the change is really just a superficial one. I think my basic attitudes and opinions remain the same across languages. But I'm curious as to whether others have a different perception. Vetus?

Vetus Ordo:

--- Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on August 12, 2021, 03:43:29 PM ---I am intrigued by the question, "Does your personality change with each language?" I don't think mine does. I definitely change my tone of voice, facial expressions, and gestures. But those are just the nonverbal aspects of another language, and adopting them is part of proficiency. It might look like a dramatic transformation, especially when it occurs suddenly while switching languages, but I think the change is really just a superficial one. I think my basic attitudes and opinions remain the same across languages. But I'm curious as to whether others have a different perception. Vetus?
--- End quote ---

I think that's a common phenomenon when speaking a foreign language, especially if you get immersed into their culture. You tend to mimic those around you to a certain extent.

I don't think I adopt specific American mannerisms when speaking English but I'm definitely influenced by them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version