New edition of the Monastic Diurnal released

Started by IV_Catholic, February 23, 2021, 11:08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IV_Catholic

I hope this is not a dupe- I searched and did not find any previous threads.....

St. Michael's Abbey released a new edition of their popular Monastic Diurnal (Day Hours of the Benedictine Office)
It is half as thick as the previous edition.
Very sleek and well made. Comes with a nice slip case.

http://www.theabbeyshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=745

Last pic is a comparison to previous edition.

Roman Catholic- Preference: Traditional Liturgy, prayer, and biblical translations.
Owner of churchlatin.com

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Prayerful

Have the bulkier one. I wonder how the space is saved.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Gardener

Quote from: Prayerful on February 24, 2021, 10:06:56 AM
Have the bulkier one. I wonder how the space is saved.

Could compare the type spacing and such with the one you have for thursday/Friday Lauds, as in the 5th pic.

My guess would be it's in the way they've set up spacing.

---

I am thankful for this new edition, as I can't stand bulky books. It's one of my major gripes with the Baronius Press missal and why I use the Angelus version, as well as one of the reasons I always hated using the Liber Usualis when I was still singing in choir.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

IV_Catholic

I'm pretty sure the thickness was spared just by using thinner paper.

I have not compared the text/typesetting from the old to new edition but I assuming it's the same.
Roman Catholic- Preference: Traditional Liturgy, prayer, and biblical translations.
Owner of churchlatin.com