The Midwest Boom

Started by drummerboy, September 02, 2023, 09:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drummerboy

How is life in Missouri?  The Mrs and I were tempted to check it out at one point when we had the moving bug.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

OzarkCatholic

Quote from: drummerboy on September 25, 2023, 11:05:36 PMHow is life in Missouri?  The Mrs and I were tempted to check it out at one point when we had the moving bug.

Depends where you wish to end up. We're in a college town of 20K, 100 miles away from the nearest metro area. We're lucky in that COL is low like more rural areas, but we have decent amenities, and that to get anywhere, it's simple interstate.

The problem is that being so far away from anywhere, getting to anywhere with the old rite, or with more family-friendly infrastructure, is a whole or multi-day affair.

If one was say 30 minutes from St. Louis or KC, the cost could be reasonable and afford a family access to the TLM and family-friendly outings.

We are blessed to be in wine country, so there are amazing vineyards just 10 miles away from us, all throughout the region. However the region is also (or was) the meth capital of the US, and it shows.

Feels like Groundhog Day again.

LausTibiChriste

Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

drummerboy

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on September 27, 2023, 07:06:41 AMMissouri makes wine?!

I read about that too when we were researching the state.  It seems the Germans who settled there found the area similar to their native Rhine Valley and started vineyards.  Correct me if I'm wrong Ozark.  But I imagine it must be pleasant territory. WI makes wine too, the rocky soil in Door County suits cherries and grapes quite well, it's an especially sweet wine due to the frosts.

In some respects your situation sounds similar to ours, but our hometown is bigger, but not so so big that it hasn't completely lost its small town atmosphere.  The TLM is near by.  Meth is a MAJOR problem here too, I believe WI is one of the top states for opioid overdose deaths as well.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

LausTibiChriste

Everyone in the midwest is just mething around?
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie