Introduction

Started by Sword of God, April 19, 2018, 05:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sword of God

Hello everyone!

I've been searching for Traditional Catholic forums recently in order to learn more about the Western Christian faith prior to the more recent liberal developments of the past century. The phenomenon of Traditional Catholicism is interesting in this respect. I've been pursuing religious studies for quite some time, since it's a topic of great interest to me. Although I'm a Muslim, I've been looking to study Christianity and Judaism more in depth.

God willing, I hope to learn from this experience.

May the peace, mercy and blessings of God be with you.

Gardener

Hello.

What branch/school of Islam are you from? I'm assuming perhaps Sunni, since I also assume your screenname is in reference to Khalid ibn al-Walid, but which school specifically? Were you raised Muslim?

Are you from the US? an Arab country?

What particularly interests you about Catholic teaching?

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Heinrich

God has led you to us, friend. And His Willing be, you will be with us for much time. Please know that as Catholics and followers of Christ Almighty, it is our obligation to love our neighbor. Yet we must live God more in His Commandments. The liberal Catholicism you speak of is not found here.

Pax,

Heinrich
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

PerEvangelicaDicta

Welcome, friend.

I look forward to your answers to Gardener's questions.  I've been greatly blessed with excellent experiences with many Muslim neighbors over the years - large, loving, moral families. 

Our best friends are <very!> traditional Catholics from the Middle East, who have quite an extended family here from that region.  They often discuss the fertile ground of Muslims for conversion to traditional Catholicism. 

It's good to have you join the SD family!
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

aquinas138

What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

ServusMariae

Hello, fellow Muslim friend! :seeya:

Here in Singapore (aka where I live), it's not uncommon to have Muslims neighbors (literally) living next door in a block, & as far as I can tell they are charitable to everyone, especially towards the resident stray cats who wander downstairs. Do you happen to like cats? Because here we are all traditional Cat-holics! :D (pun intended.)

That said, here's some confetti. Welcome to the forum! ^-^

Sword of God

Thank you all for your warm welcome.

Quote from: Gardener on April 19, 2018, 06:45:44 PM
What branch/school of Islam are you from? I'm assuming perhaps Sunni, since I also assume your screenname is in reference to Khalid ibn al-Walid, but which school specifically? Were you raised Muslim?

I'm a Sunni Muslim from birth and I'm from the US. I follow the Hanafî maddhab (Fîqh) and Mâturîdî school (Kalâm). I have an interest in Sufism as well. Since you also quickly pointed out the reference to the great Khâlid ibn al-Walîd, I gather you have more than a passing knowledge of Islam, Gardener.

My primary interests when it comes to Catholic teaching deal with Christology and Soteriology.

Quote from: ServusMariae on April 19, 2018, 11:36:23 PM
Do you happen to like cats? Because here we are all traditional Cat-holics!

Yes, I do.

Cats are especially revered in Islam. They are the quintessential pet in the Muslim world, following the example of our Prophet (s.a.w.) who was especially fond of cats.

Xavier

Welcome, dear friend. Good to know about your interest. May the good God guide you in your studies.

As Heinrich said, Jesus Christ taught us that the Highest of the commandments is to love the Lord our God with all our hearts; and to love our neighbor as our own selves for His sake; the proverbial "neighbor" not being those of our own religion or race only, but all men and women everywhere, as the Lord Christ explained to the scribes. As Muslims, you revere Abraham, Moses and the Prophets; David, Solomon and the kings. We have the writings of these and other holy men preserved in the Bible; we have the accounts of the life of Jesus Christ written by His Apostles. One of them, St. John, was not only His Apostle, but also the caretaker of His Mother Mary, whom we know you respect. He has left us his testimony and Hers in experiencing the love of Jesus Christ. I hope that as you read from the Prophets, and the life and teaching of Jesus Christ, you will be inspired and edified. God bless.
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

Michael Wilson

Welcome to the forum! I hope you find here what you are searching for.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

PerEvangelicaDicta

Quote from: Xavier on April 24, 2018, 05:24:21 AM
Welcome, dear friend. Good to know about your interest. May the good God guide you in your studies.

As Heinrich said, Jesus Christ taught us that the Highest of the commandments is to love the Lord our God with all our hearts; and to love our neighbor as our own selves for His sake; the proverbial "neighbor" not being those of our own religion or race only, but all men and women everywhere, as the Lord Christ explained to the scribes. As Muslims, you revere Abraham, Moses and the Prophets; David, Solomon and the kings. We have the writings of these and other holy men preserved in the Bible; we have the accounts of the life of Jesus Christ written by His Apostles. One of them, St. John, was not only His Apostle, but also the caretaker of His Mother Mary, whom we know you respect. He has left us his testimony and Hers in experiencing the love of Jesus Christ. I hope that as you read from the Prophets, and the life and teaching of Jesus Christ, you will be inspired and edified. God bless.

For what it's worth, St. John, Apostle, was wholly responsible for me not leaving the Faith. 
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Gardener

Quote from: Sword of God on April 20, 2018, 05:07:59 PM
Thank you all for your warm welcome.

Quote from: Gardener on April 19, 2018, 06:45:44 PM

I'm a Sunni Muslim from birth and I'm from the US. I follow the Hanafî maddhab (Fîqh) and Mâturîdî school (Kalâm). I have an interest in Sufism as well. Since you also quickly pointed out the reference to the great Khâlid ibn al-Walîd, I gather you have more than a passing knowledge of Islam, Gardener.

My primary interests when it comes to Catholic teaching deal with Christology and Soteriology.

Quote from: ServusMariae on April 19, 2018, 11:36:23 PM
Do you happen to like cats? Because here we are all traditional Cat-holics!

Yes, I do.

Cats are especially revered in Islam. They are the quintessential pet in the Muslim world, following the example of our Prophet (s.a.w.) who was especially fond of cats.

What specifically about Christology and Soteriology interests you?

Yes, I have more than a passing/news watching understanding of Islam, Arabic culture, and language. I have two tours in Iraq (Samarra 2005, Baghdad 2007-2008) under my belt. I took it upon myself to understand as much as I could during and after those times. I have taken a college level course in Arabic (introductory, please don't expect me to be conversant).

As for your school -- in 2008 I had the chance to drive by the reconstructed Abu Hanafi mosque in Baghdad, as my squadron commander had a meeting near it.

As for Sufi theology, I greatly enjoy the mysticism present in the wine poetry which is often present in the Sufi writers. My personal favorite is that of Rabi'a Al-Basri. Her biographical information is astounding, and indicates a soul of good will despite her situation. Her poetry indicates a soul seeking God for His sake.

QuoteIf I adore You out of fear of Hell,
Burn me in Hell!
If I adore you out of desire for Paradise,
Lock me out of Paradise.
But if I adore you for Yourself alone,
Do not deny to me Your eternal beauty.

QuoteBrothers, my peace is in my aloneness.
My Beloved is alone with me there, always.
I have found nothing in all the worlds
That could match His love,
This love that harrows the sands of my desert.
If I come to die of desire
And my Beloved is still not satisfied,
I would live in eternal despair.

To abandon all that He has fashioned
And hold in the palm of my hand
Certain proof that He loves me---
That is the name and the goal of my search.

Here's a nice intro to Christology from an Eastern point of view:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvjiVam2HO4[/yt]

I would recommend that you find sources in Arabic if you feel comfortable with the language. While raised in the US, your soul is trained in Eastern thought and Latin (Western) explanations might come across as blasphemous or confusing -- perhaps I'm wrong.

User Aquinas138 could probably point you in the direction of good, orthodox interpretations of Scripture from the Eastern Fathers.

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe