Windows Media Player

Started by Theophilus, April 13, 2014, 09:32:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theophilus

So our computer has been slow (Windows XP-old), but only in the last week, otherwise it's VERY good.  When I worked last weekend my five year old was pushing lots of buttons apparently and actually had something running I'd never seen before so I don't know if that's the problem.  My husband hasn't been able to watch his Ultimate Fighting because it takes a really long time to load now and keeps stopping so I went into task manager and went through and googled some of the exe programs to see if I could get rid of some but now when I try to listen to WFTS sermons on Windows Media Player it keeps stopping.  I can click a couple times and restart it but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions.  Did I delete something I shouldn't have?  I went into firefox and reset the settings to default to allow the cookies because I couldn't log on to SD after I was messing with it.

Thank you!!!
"Only little children and those who are like them shall be admitted to the Heavenly Banquet."–St. Therese of Lisieux
"Because he hath therefore scattered you among the Gentiles, who know not him, that you may declare his wonderful works, and make them know that there is no other Almighty God besides him."

Gardener

Do you recall what programs you deleted?

Have you run updates from Windows?

Have you updated your anti-virus program and run a full scan?

Are there any noticeable changes to system file names or other files/folders being renamed/moved/etc.?

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Theophilus

Okay, so I tried to get rid of ssscheduler.exe, ctfmon.exe, dlactrl.exe, yahoouaservice.exe, WDDMservice.exe, msmsgs.exe,  e_fatiaga.exe, and possible a couple more, (maybe AppleMovileDevice?) but I see they're all back.  I also now have seven svchost.exe's running.  Not sure what else.

I have not run updates or my AVG scan. 
Should I?  When you want to end a process how do you keep it away?
Anything else?
"Only little children and those who are like them shall be admitted to the Heavenly Banquet."–St. Therese of Lisieux
"Because he hath therefore scattered you among the Gentiles, who know not him, that you may declare his wonderful works, and make them know that there is no other Almighty God besides him."

Gardener

Go ahead and update your anti-virus software and run it with a full scan.

I'd like to see if there is anything infecting it first.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Theophilus

Quote from: Gardener on April 13, 2014, 02:53:19 PM
Go ahead and update your anti-virus software and run it with a full scan.

I'd like to see if there is anything infecting it first.
I ran our AVG free and it said no infections.  Do you suggest getting an upgrade?  It looks about 50 dollars for one year and we've always just had the free.  My husband says he installed an updated Flash Player, he did a speed check, and he updated Internet Explorer and Firefox, and we have 600 MB of Ram(?).  He said his Ultimate Fighting is still not loading.

james03

Sounds like your daughter may have inadvertently installed malware.  Best bet is to find someone who knows computers to check it out.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Theophilus

Hello,
So Monday the 14th my husband tried to restore the computer to about April 1st and since then we can no longer even get to the start button (we can log-in but nothing comes on the screen).  I too think it's a bug because there are a ton of programs running now in Task Manager that weren't there before.  I'm on my mom's computer now.  So, thank you all for the advice.  See you sometime in the future maybe:)
Happy Easter!

Kaesekopf

T,
Boot into safe mode.  Install avast antivirus, ccleaner, and malwarebytes.  Run ccleaner, delete anything it returns.  Do the same with malwarebytes.  Then run avast deep system scan. 

If that doesn't work, I'm not sure what to do.

Also, use ccleaner to uninstall programs that do not look familiar to you.

Also use ccleaner to disable any weird or shady looking processes from starting up at boot on. 

Also create a password to your computer and don't let children use it/lock your computer when you're away from it.  :)
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.