Books by Bud Macfarlane

Started by martin88nyc, July 01, 2017, 03:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

Who above said it was detestable?
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Chestertonian

Read it early in my conversion.  Couldn't finish it.  Characters grated on me.  MacFarlane's writing style got on my nerves too.  I think people read it because Catholicism is central to the storyline, but the literary quality is poor.  It's a miracle it didn't push me away from Catholicism
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

martin88nyc

Quote from: Greg on July 09, 2017, 12:25:16 AM
Who above said it was detestable?
Sorry I didn't have anyone in mind. I was thinking about the way he's handled the divorce with his wife and that was detestable.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

martin88nyc

Quote from: Chestertonian on July 09, 2017, 07:03:01 AM
Read it early in my conversion.  Couldn't finish it.  Characters grated on me.  MacFarlane's writing style got on my nerves too.  I think people read it because Catholicism is central to the storyline, but the literary quality is poor.  It's a miracle it didn't push me away from Catholicism
Some people on goodreads have similar opinions and some criticize his "obsession" with apparitions. Honestly I like the book so far and it really is my type of story so I'll have to finish it before making a judgement. I also read that the 2nd and 3rd of his books are different and better.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Greg

His book isn't the Haynes Manual on the 1973 Ford Cortina.  The series are all about selling JP2 Catholicism and his apostolate.  The storylines are connected to his agenda, just as CS Lewis's Narnia books are.

If CS Lewis was discovered to be a paedophile I would burn the boxed set.  Not claim it was a great series of books.  A man and his art cannot be wholly disassociated.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

dymphnaw

[/quote]
Why?
[/quote]

Because he is a lousy writer and he plays super Catholic but treated his wife horribly. I would never put any money in his pocket.

Carleendiane

We have two authors here. MacFarlane and O'Brien. O'Brien is not traditional, but a decent writer. Nothing like MacFarlan. Michael O'Brien wrote Piercing the Darkness. Don't know much about Michael O'Brien, didn't he also write Father Elijah? MacFarlan, is despicable divorcee wife abusing coward,  motivational, hear my story speaker, correct? Or do I have this all wrong?
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

martin88nyc

Quote from: dymphnaw on July 13, 2017, 07:33:51 AM

Why?
[/quote]

Because he is a lousy writer and he plays super Catholic but treated his wife horribly. I would never put any money in his pocket.
[/quote]
Quote from: Carleendiane on July 13, 2017, 09:37:03 AM
We have two authors here. MacFarlane and O'Brien. O'Brien is not traditional, but a decent writer. Nothing like MacFarlan. Michael O'Brien wrote Piercing the Darkness. Don't know much about Michael O'Brien, didn't he also write Father Elijah? MacFarlan, is despicable divorcee wife abusing coward,  motivational, hear my story speaker, correct? Or do I have this all wrong?
O'Brien wrote an intro to MacFarlane's first book, praising his writting skills, so to say he is a lousy writer is not honest. We have a right to be outraged and sickened by he way he's treated his wife but his books aren't lousy.

red solo cup

All this talk piqued my curiosity so I got ahold of a copy of Pierced. 60 pages in and it's not bad. By the standard of the crap that passes for modern fiction,
it's pretty good.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

martin88nyc

Quote from: red solo cup on July 13, 2017, 03:52:26 PM
All this talk piqued my curiosity so I got ahold of a copy of Pierced. 60 pages in and it's not bad. By the standard of the crap that passes for modern fiction,
it's pretty good.
That is what I mean. I won't judge a book by its author's future misdeeds.  :shrug:

Lydia Purpuraria

Quote from: martin88nyc on July 13, 2017, 04:23:33 PM
Quote from: red solo cup on July 13, 2017, 03:52:26 PM
it's pretty good.
That is what I mean. I won't judge a book by its author's future misdeeds.  :shrug:

Yeah, that might cut out quite a bit of the literature that would be left to choose from.  LOL.  Not that some of it would be a bad thing to avoid, of course.  (I've never read any of Bud's books, nor did I know anything about him at all until this thread... so I have no idea about his particular books.)

Spera In Deo

I am rereading my copy of Pierced by a Sword.  It holds up to multiple readings. I still don't like what he did to his wife and I'm not sure I would buy it now.  But I've had my copy for years.  At least 10.

But it is a page turner and filled with a lot of info about Marian apparitions.  Does a great job of explaining Mary as The Woman in scripture.  Even mentions the TLM in a positive way.  Promoted Gregorian chant and St Thomas in another.  Don't like that he lumps medjugorge in with other apparitions, but overall, a decent read.
"What Catholics once were, we are. If we are wrong, then Catholics through the ages have been wrong.
We are what you once were. We believe what you once believed.
We worship as you once worshipped. If we are wrong now, you were wrong then. If you were right then, we are right now".

Robert DePiante

Maximilian

Quote from: Lydia Purpuraria on July 13, 2017, 04:48:04 PM

(I've never ready any of Bud's books, nor did I know anything about him at all until this thread... )

Nor do you know anything about him now.

Lydia Purpuraria

Quote from: Maximilian on July 13, 2017, 07:58:14 PM
Quote from: Lydia Purpuraria on July 13, 2017, 04:48:04 PM

(I've never ready any of Bud's books, nor did I know anything about him at all until this thread... )

Nor do you know anything about him now.

That's true.  I was mostly speaking of even knowing his name at all or any of his books, though.  Not so much all of the other stuff; I have no idea what of that's true and what's just gossip.