What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Francisco Suárez

I'm still getting through The Last Superstition by Edward Feser.

You?

Lyubov

??? ?? ??? ????????
?? ??? ?????? ?????.

Bonaventure

Lyubov, I once read on a conspiracy theory/tin foiler website that the Memoirs are a hoax.

In any case, I'm glad to see you are into Russia!
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Lyubov

Quote from: Bonaventure on December 27, 2012, 01:12:50 AM
Lyubov, I once read on a conspiracy theory/tin foiler website that the Memoirs are a hoax.

Haha! I hadn't heard that theory.

I guess you could say that!  ;D
??? ?? ??? ????????
?? ??? ?????? ?????.

Kaesekopf

I'm working on a more concerted effort to read all the books I own, so I'm going back to "The Mass" printed by Angelus Press and written by Fr Joseph Dunney.

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Francisco Suárez

Aquinas by Dr. Edward Feser and Europe's Tragedy: A New History of the Thirty Years War by Peter H. Wilson.

Der Kaiser

The Mass-Adrian Fortescu  this is the second time I have read it.
"If a Pope changes the rites of the sacraments he puts himself outside the Church and is Anathema"-Pope Innocent III

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of Anti-Christ"-Our Lady of La Sallette

The hebrews have not recognized the lord, therefore we can not recognize the hebrews.-St Pius X

tx2step

Kaesekopf

Bounced to reread Brideshead Revisited
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Bonaventure on December 27, 2012, 01:12:50 AM

In Soviet Russia, memoirs write you.

EcceQuamBonum

Vision and Resonance:  Two Senses of Poetic Form, John Hollander
"Sero Te amavi, Pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova.  Sero Te amavi!"-Confessions, X.27

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--

MilesChristi

Quote from: Francisco Suárez on January 06, 2013, 10:32:15 PM
Aquinas by Dr. Edward Feser and Europe's Tragedy: A New History of the Thirty Years War by Peter H. Wilson.

A coincidence. I'm also getting through Aquinas, and Copleston's History of Philosophy
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Francisco Suárez

Just finished The Truth of Papal Claims by Cardinal Raphael Merry Del Val. It was a very enjoyable and informative read. The Cardinal had a brilliant sense of humour! He ripped to shreds Dr. Oxenham's objections to Papal infallibility and supremacy wielding the utmost charity. An excerpt from the Cardinal's conclusion in the book which I found particularly inspiring:

QuoteMay Dr. Oxenham reach the same conclusion [as John Henry Newman], as he reads the works of the Fathers, and let him rest assured that, if this grace is bestowed upon him, he will have no truer friend than the author of these pages.

Ben

The Genius of Christianity by Chateaubriand.

Archer

Self-explanatory.  I'm actually surprised we don't have this thread yet. 

I'm currently reading...

The Cure D'Ars: St. Jean-Marie-Baptiste Vianney, by Abbe Francois Trochu

Lord of Chaos: Book 6 of the Wheel of Time, by Robert Jordan
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney