Great Fr. Ripperger interview on the Abuse Crisis

Started by Miriam_M, September 12, 2018, 06:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miriam_M

Google YouTube
Fr. Ripperger on the Abuse Crisis and the Theology of the Priesthood

Recorded September 1, 2018

It also appears that I was right about the denying of absolution.  Fr. Ripperger suggests this very thing.

But that's only incidental to the important and main points he brings up.  He discusses modernism as the root of the problem and the essential habitual life of chastity as necessary for ordination.  (Should be barred from religious life and the priesthood.)  Grace of State will not be sufficient to resist the vice or the temptations.

Covers earlier regulations, which specifies: A candidate without firm habit of continency is to be dismissed immediately, including even those with tendencies toward homosexuality or pederasty.  He quotes the 1917 code, too.  Should not even be admitted to seminary, let alone advanced further. 

Discusses:
~heresies as part of cause
~neglect by bishops and insincere apologies
~importance of unblemished sacrifice of the Mass
~homosexuals now in positions of power
~Bella Dodd (The Congressional Record)
~lack of due diligence
~Canon 2359 of 1917 Code  (Canonical crime, requiring dismissal -- but later of course removed from 1983 Canon)
~falsified mercy

Christe Eleison

Quote from: Miriam_M on September 12, 2018, 06:10:25 PM
Google YouTube

It also appears that I was right about the denying of absolution.  Fr. Ripperger suggests this very thing.

But that's only incidental to the important and main points he brings up.  He discusses modernism as the root of the problem and the essential habitual life of chastity as necessary for ordination.  (Should be barred from religious life and the priesthood.)  Grace of State will not be sufficient to resist the vice or the temptations.

Covers earlier regulations, which specifies: A candidate without firm habit of continency is to be dismissed immediately, including even those with tendencies toward homosexuality or pederasty.  He quotes the 1917 code, too.  Should not even be admitted to seminary, let alone advanced further. 

Discusses:
~lack of due diligence
~Canon 2359 of 1917 Code  (Canonical crime, requiring dismissal -- but later of course removed from 1983 Canon)
~falsified mercy

Thanks, Miriam :)

Is this the one?

Miriam_M

Quote from: Christe Eleison on September 12, 2018, 06:19:42 PM
Quote from: Miriam_M on September 12, 2018, 06:10:25 PM
Google YouTube

Discusses:
~lack of due diligence
~falsified mercy

Thanks, Miriam :)

Is this the one?

Yep. And the balloon quote about clericalism is also discussed (the irony of it, which means that the most clerically oriented of all are the ones abusing laity and have abused laity and seminarians).  I'm actually not even finished listening to it, as it's 1:22 long and I'm headed to church.

Traditionallyruralmom

Excellent video, watched this last week.  Someone shared the link on FB and I got all giddy inside. Yes, Im an old trad, Fr Ripperger videos make me giddy  :cheeseheadbeer: anyway I was so excited..."Yay!!! Fr Ripperger addressing the crisis, this will be GOOD!"  It did not disappoint.  I had my 18 year old watch it for her Theology class that next day.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Xavier

Nice, Miriam. Fr. Ripperger is spot on. The horror of the current situation is some sodomites and pederasts or their enablers are now in high office and want to start justifying the sin and saying homosexual acts are not sinful. This is ultimately what happens when Fr. Ripperger's wise counsel and the provisions of the 1917 canon law are not followed.

NCR is reporting Wuerl is hopefully going to resign. https://www.ncronline.org/news/accountability/clarification-cardinal-wuerl-says-he-will-soon-ask-pope-accept-his-resignation

All who commit pederasty or sodomy should be laicized. Those who defend these crimes and want to change Church teaching to say they are not sins should be excommunicated. It's going to be very hard for our Church to triumph over this but severity against sin is necessary.
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

Miriam_M

Also, for those who haven't listened to it yet...

It is not dominated by the abuse crisis, although that's a sizable portion of the show.  An equally significant portion -- in amount of time and content -- concerns what Fr. Ripperger calls "the identity of the priest."  The important loss of priestly identity he links correctly to the deliberate erosion of the sense and the reality of hierarchy in the Church and the incursion of the laity into priestly functions which were formerly uniquely his.  The priest has been left so little to shepherd and protect -- reduced as he often is to a ministry vaguely equal to those of lay people.  (Fr. R gave an example of how this manifests even in the New Mass -- with lay "ministers" rushing in just before distribution of HC to seize the hosts; priests are denied the sole privilege of nourishing their flocks and of their primary responsibility to guard the Blessed Sacrament.)

And instead of being perceived and treated like sons of their bishops, priests have been increasingly treated like employees, administrators, and "warm bodies" to fill diocesan vacancies.

All this has left modern priests confused, rudderless, and without uniqueness.  Rather than a vocation, the priesthood is treated as if it's a job like other (secular) jobs, regardless of whatever theology is formally still professed -- a theology that has reduced in importance the unique character or mark of the priest.

Fr. R spoke also of the disappearance of the minor orders in the modern church, noting with exception the restoring of those orders --and the graces accompanying them-- in apostolates like the FSSP and ICKSP.  The most revealing aspect of that was the role of priestly formation of those minor orders -- so that by the time of ordination, the priest has been sequentially formed and ordination is the logical next step in a series of steps. 

Of course he was more articulate than I am here.  It's worth a listen to, once or twice, and not only by those on the forum discerning or committed to a vocation already.  Laity need to hear and appreciate it, too; there's much more that I couldn't cover here.  And any of us who are affiliated with trad apostolates should be especially grateful for our connections with those.

Elizabeth

I reckon Father is acutely sensitive to the subtleties of hierarchy in Christ's Church, understanding demons as he does.
Only have listened to a few minutes so far, but he really came out swinging about the dignity of the priestly office.  Quiet and lethal.

VeraeFidei

Quote from: Miriam_M on September 12, 2018, 11:46:38 PM

It is not dominated by the abuse crisis, although that's a sizable portion of the show.  An equally significant portion -- in amount of time and content -- concerns what Fr. Ripperger calls "the identity of the priest."  The important loss of priestly identity he links correctly to the deliberate erosion of the sense and the reality of hierarchy in the Church and the incursion of the laity into priestly functions which were formerly uniquely his.  The priest has been left so little to shepherd and protect -- reduced as he often is to a ministry vaguely equal to those of lay people.  (Fr. R gave an example of how this manifests even in the New Mass -- with lay "ministers" rushing in just before distribution of HC to seize the hosts; priests are denied the sole privilege of nourishing their flocks and of their primary responsibility to guard the Blessed Sacrament.)

And instead of being perceived and treated like sons of their bishops, priests have been increasingly treated like employees, administrators, and "warm bodies" to fill diocesan vacancies.

All this has left modern priests confused, rudderless, and without uniqueness.  Rather than a vocation, the priesthood is treated as if it's a job like other (secular) jobs, regardless of whatever theology is formally still professed -- a theology that has reduced in importance the unique character or mark of the priest.

Fr. R spoke also of the disappearance of the minor orders in the modern church, noting with exception the restoring of those orders --and the graces accompanying them-- in apostolates like the FSSP and ICKSP.  The most revealing aspect of that was the role of priestly formation of those minor orders -- so that by the time of ordination, the priest has been sequentially formed and ordination is the logical next step in a series of steps. 

Of course he was more articulate than I am here.  It's worth a listen to, once or twice, and not only by those on the forum discerning or committed to a vocation already.  Laity need to hear and appreciate it, too; there's much more that I couldn't cover here.  And any of us who are affiliated with trad apostolates should be especially grateful for our connections with those.
Pray tell, in what real way have the FSSP or ICRSS (ICKSP is not a thing) restored the Minor Orders? Restoring the Minor Orders would mean having men ordained into those Orders outside of as a stepping-stone to the Priesthood, as Trent suggested.

Miriam_M

Quote from: VeraeFidei on September 14, 2018, 07:58:10 PM
Quote from: Miriam_M on September 12, 2018, 11:46:38 PM

Pray tell, in what real way have the FSSP or ICRSS (ICKSP is not a thing) restored the Minor Orders? Restoring the Minor Orders would mean having men ordained into those Orders outside of as a stepping-stone to the Priesthood, as Trent suggested.

It's near the end of the YouTube interview.  I don't consider myself an authority on the particular question you ask; I do consider Fr. Ripperger an authority on particular matters, so the explanation best comes from him.

The Harlequin King

In the Institute's defense, at least they have the Clerical Oblates program (which I had some interest in joining years ago, but they never got back to me): http://www.institute-christ-king.org/vocations/oblates/

I think even many regular parishioners of Institute apostolates don't know the Clerical Oblates exist, though.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: The Harlequin King on September 15, 2018, 10:38:39 AM

In the Institute's defense, at least they have the Clerical Oblates program (which I had some interest in joining years ago, but they never got back to me): http://www.institute-christ-king.org/vocations/oblates/

I think even many regular parishioners of Institute apostolates don't know the Clerical Oblates exist, though.

Milwaukee has one of the best! 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Miriam_M

Quote from: The Harlequin King on September 15, 2018, 10:38:39 AM

I'm not aware of one Institute parishioner in several parishes who is not aware.

The Harlequin King

Quote from: Miriam_M on September 15, 2018, 11:38:54 AM
I'm not aware of one Institute parishioner in several parishes who is not aware.

That's a good sign, then!

Traditionallyruralmom

Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.