Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LuxVera

Re-watched "Solaris" (2002) for the first time in years. It's probably one of my favorite sci-fi films, more like a sci-fi psychological thriller. I like movies that make me think. Still need to watch the original "Solaris" (1972) film by Tarkovsky.
"Keep innocency, and take heed unto the thing that is right: for that shall bring a man peace at the last."  -Psalm 37:38, Coverdale Psalter

christulsa

Watched yesterday Red Dawn, the 1984 version.  Never gets old.

red solo cup

Quicksand. Awful.
Man on a Ledge. Even worse.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Heinrich

Quote from: christulsa on March 30, 2020, 08:13:37 PM
Watched yesterday Red Dawn, the 1984 version.  Never gets old.

D'joo know that was set in Colorado, but filmed in New Mexico?
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

christulsa

Mono no aware

Sansho the Bailiff (1954).  Brilliant.  I am discovering the dolorous genius of Kenji Mizoguchi.

In this beautiful frame, from left to right, are a family's loyal servant, the matriarch, a Shinto priestess, and the mother's two children.  Around his neck, the proud aristocratic boy wears a canister from his father containing an icon of the goddess of mercy.  His sister smiles.  But fate, alas, has other things in store.

Heinrich

Quote from: Pon de Replay on April 01, 2020, 11:58:38 AM
Sansho the Bailiff (1954).  Brilliant.  I am discovering the dolorous genius of Kenji Mizoguchi.

You and maybe six other people on Earth know who that is.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Mono no aware

Quote from: Heinrich on April 01, 2020, 03:39:16 PMYou and maybe six other people on Earth know who that is.

If you had said six other people on this forum, then that may be true.  But he is legendary in his native Japan.  Even in the West, the triumvirate of Japanese masters in terms of cinema is widely considered to be Kurosawa, Ozu, and Mizoguchi. 

Last night I watched the first half of a 1975 documentary, .  The documentarian seems to have tracked down and interviewed anyone who ever had contact with the great man, from his longtime artistic collaborators down to people who knew him as a passing acquaintance.  He was known to be a meticulous fusspot and perfectionist.  His two great passions in life were said to be women and sake.  In one instance, he was stabbed in the back (literally) by a prostitute who had fallen in love with him and whom he had jilted.  A few years later he was in a sauna, and a young man remarked on the scar.  Mizoguchi said to him, "until you have a scar like this one, you will never understand women."

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Pon de Replay on April 02, 2020, 11:56:37 AMMizoguchi said to him, "until you have a scar like this one, you will never understand women."

Words of wisdom.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

red solo cup

Interesting how if one is famous, women, booze and consorting with prostitutes is "passion". If I were to do that, I think the word would be dissolute.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Mono no aware

Quote from: red solo cup on April 03, 2020, 04:45:24 AM
Interesting how if one is famous, women, booze and consorting with prostitutes is "passion". If I were to do that, I think the word would be dissolute.

Possibly.  But artistic genius covers a multitude of sins.  There is also a distinction to be made between a vapid hedonism and a cultured decadence.

christulsa

I loved Zatoichi as a tv series, about the blind traveling Samaurai, but the movies tended to be of less quality not to mention lewd.

Mono no aware

The Life of Oharu (1952).  Fatalistic and Buddhistic; a life lived out nobly against a world of gratuitous suffering.  Naturally I loved it.

Heinrich

The suspense, juxtaposition of man versus nature, i.e. a storm of metaphorical proportionality that underscores the allegory of feminine rage, depth of dialogue, mise-en-scene making mellifluous flows of flawless kaleidoscopes of stories, broken by the prism of the flame . Oh, child, I could go on.
[yt][/yt]

Mono no aware