The importance of teaching children that the Novus Ordo is bad.

Started by GiftOfGod, November 18, 2020, 03:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikemac

Quote from: GiftOfGod on November 29, 2020, 09:06:34 PM
Quote from: mikemac on November 29, 2020, 08:29:56 PM
Quote from: GiftOfGod on November 29, 2020, 07:07:35 PM
Quote from: mikemac on November 29, 2020, 06:21:01 PM
As it stands just you and Daniel have a problem with the Rosary.

What makes you think I have a problem with the Rosary? I have said nothing against it.

It's just Daniel then?  So you have abandoned him after you got him fired up?

What makes you think I have a problem with the Rosary?

So you have abandoned him after you got him fired up?
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

GiftOfGod

Quote from: mikemac on November 29, 2020, 09:10:49 PM

What makes you think I have a problem with the Rosary? I have said nothing against it.

I'll answer your questions after you answer mine.
Quote from: Maximilian on December 30, 2021, 11:15:48 AM
Quote from: Goldfinch on December 30, 2021, 10:36:10 AM
Quote from: Innocent Smith on December 30, 2021, 10:25:55 AM
If attending Mass, the ordinary form as celebrated everyday around the world be sinful, then the Church no longer exists. Period.
Rather, if the NOM were the lex credendi of the Church, then the Church would no longer exist. However, the true mass and the true sacraments still exist and will hold the candle of faith until Our Lord steps in to restore His Bride to her glory.
We could compare ourselves to the Catholics in England at the time of the Reformation. Was it sinful for them to attend Cranmer's service?
We have to remind ourselves that all the machinery of the "Church" continued in place. They had priests, bishops, churches, cathedrals. But all of them were using the new "Book of Common Prayer" instead of the Catholic Mass. Ordinary lay people could see with their own eyes an enormous entity that called itself the "Church," but did the true Church still exist in that situation? Meanwhile, in small hiding places in certain homes were a handful of true priests offering the true Mass at the risk of imprisonment, torture and death.

mikemac

Quote from: GiftOfGod on November 29, 2020, 09:19:46 PM

Because you gave the impression that you do.  It wasn't just me that thought that.  See replies #50 and #51.

So you have abandoned Daniel after you got him fired up?

Two questions.

Are you just here to cause trouble?

Three.

Like a troll?
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

Source

GiftOfGod

Quote from: mikemac on November 29, 2020, 09:51:50 PM
Quote from: GiftOfGod on November 29, 2020, 09:19:46 PM

Because you gave the impression that you do.  It wasn't just me that thought that.  See replies #50 and #51.

So you have abandoned Daniel after you got him fired up?

Two questions.

Are you just here to cause trouble?

Three.

Like a troll?

Quote from: Maximilian on December 30, 2021, 11:15:48 AM
Quote from: Goldfinch on December 30, 2021, 10:36:10 AM
Quote from: Innocent Smith on December 30, 2021, 10:25:55 AM
If attending Mass, the ordinary form as celebrated everyday around the world be sinful, then the Church no longer exists. Period.
Rather, if the NOM were the lex credendi of the Church, then the Church would no longer exist. However, the true mass and the true sacraments still exist and will hold the candle of faith until Our Lord steps in to restore His Bride to her glory.
We could compare ourselves to the Catholics in England at the time of the Reformation. Was it sinful for them to attend Cranmer's service?
We have to remind ourselves that all the machinery of the "Church" continued in place. They had priests, bishops, churches, cathedrals. But all of them were using the new "Book of Common Prayer" instead of the Catholic Mass. Ordinary lay people could see with their own eyes an enormous entity that called itself the "Church," but did the true Church still exist in that situation? Meanwhile, in small hiding places in certain homes were a handful of true priests offering the true Mass at the risk of imprisonment, torture and death.

Non Nobis

Mikemac, who changed the title of this thread at least for a while to "The importance of teaching children that sedes are not Catholic"? That was a rather troll-ish thing to do. Start another thread yourself (maybe in the Sedevacantist sub-forum). This thread has deteriorated into a you-answer-first/No-you-answer-first ongoing exchange that looks, um, silly. Mikemac I don't like GiftOfGod in every way (just as you don't approve of me in every way) but it seems like you are trying to provoke the worst in him.

Daniel said "I'm with GiftOfGod" but really his problems with the Rosary - that maybe it is a tool of the Devil - went beyond what GoG said.  GoG brought up the fact that it is not in general a regular devotion in the Eastern Rite (except where Trads escape to Eastern Rite churches).  That doesn't prove they are having a "problem" with the Rosary.  (I did know one uneducated Eastern Rite Catholic who hated trads in the Church and did say terrible things about the Rosary, but he was an exception)
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Daniel

I don't think GiftOfGod got me "fired up". I was only agreeing with him about the Sister Lucia quote (and, way earlier, about the fact that sedevacantists are not not-Catholic).

The reason I say that the rosary might be from the devil is because the rosary in some respects appears to be from the devil. What part of that don't you understand?

I never said the rosary is bad or that it's from the devil. What I said was, I don't have all the information to make a definitive judgement. On one hand it looks bad. On the other hand it looks like the Church endorses it. Obviously it's not both. And if the Church doesn't endorse it, who is to say that it's not bad or even from the devil?

I'll also point out, the fact that the Church seems to endorse it could in great part be due to the fact that trad priests are constantly trying to shove it down everybody's throat, acting as if the Church requires us to pray the rosary daily when the Church requires no such thing. Sure, when questionioned they'll probably tell you that you're free not to. But nevertheless, they act like it's Church teaching that the rosary is the second greatest prayer ever and that we must all pray it every day, just because our Lady seems to have requested it at Fatima. (Which is strange, seeing as not all trad priests are even on-board with Fatima. I believe Archbishop Lefebvre himself was critical of this idea that we should focus so much on Fatima.) I can't tell if it's the Church who endorses it, or if only these priests are the ones endorse it. If priests would just teach what the Church has always taught and stop introducing or promote novelties then this would hardly be an issue.

Stubborn

Quote from: Daniel on November 30, 2020, 06:56:56 AM
I don't think GiftOfGod got me "fired up". I was only agreeing with him about the Sister Lucia quote (and, way earlier, about the fact that sedevacantists are not not-Catholic).

The reason I say that the rosary might be from the devil is because the rosary in some respects appears to be from the devil. What part of that don't you understand?

I never said the rosary is bad or that it's from the devil. What I said was, I don't have all the information to make a definitive judgement. On one hand it looks bad. On the other hand it looks like the Church endorses it. Obviously it's not both. And if the Church doesn't endorse it, who is to say that it's not bad or even from the devil?

I'll also point out, the fact that the Church seems to endorse it could in great part be due to the fact that trad priests are constantly trying to shove it down everybody's throat, acting as if the Church requires us to pray the rosary daily when the Church requires no such thing. Sure, when questionioned they'll probably tell you that you're free not to. But nevertheless, they act like it's Church teaching that the rosary is the second greatest prayer ever and that we must all pray it every day, just because our Lady seems to have requested it at Fatima. (Which is strange, seeing as not all trad priests are even on-board with Fatima. I believe Archbishop Lefebvre himself was critical of this idea that we should focus so much on Fatima.) I can't tell if it's the Church who endorses it, or if only these priests are the ones endorse it. If priests would just teach what the Church has always taught and stop introducing or promote novelties then this would hardly be an issue.

This ^^^ is simply pitiful for anyone to say who claims the name Catholic.

Every October 7th since it was instituted by Pope St. Pius V, the Church celebrates the feast of The Blessed Virgin Mary of the Rosary.

In the description for this mass in my Missal, it says:
"Tradition tells us that the Mother of God appeared to St. Dominic, and asked him to propagate the devotion of the holy rosary as a powerful means of combating error and vice. The decisive victory of the Christians at the battle of Lepanto in 1571 prompted Pope Pius V to institute this feast and to decree that the Blessed Virgin Mary be invoked as "Help of Christians."

I could go on and on about how the Church values and promotes the daily recitation of the rosary and how precious praying the Rosary is to Our Blessed Mother, and why She loves it so much, and about the graces and heavenly benefits we get by praying many rosaries every day, but I won't waste either of our time.

Even after a long life of sin, if the Christian receives the Sacrament of the dying with the appropriate dispositions, he will go straight to heaven without having to go to purgatory. - Fr. M. Philipon; This sacrament prepares man for glory immediately, since it is given to those who are departing from this life. - St. Thomas Aquinas; It washes away the sins that remain to be atoned, and the vestiges of sin; it comforts and strengthens the soul of the sick person, arousing in him a great trust and confidence in the divine mercy. Thus strengthened, he bears the hardships and struggles of his illness more easily and resists the temptation of the devil and the heel of the deceiver more readily; and if it be advantageous to the welfare of his soul, he sometimes regains his bodily health. - Council of Trent

Daniel

Quote from: Stubborn on November 30, 2020, 07:59:30 AM

This ^^^ is simply pitiful for anyone to say who claims the name Catholic.

Every October 7th since it was instituted by Pope St. Pius V, the Church celebrates the feast of The Blessed Virgin Mary of the Rosary.

In the description for this mass in my Missal, it says:
"Tradition tells us that the Mother of God appeared to St. Dominic, and asked him to propagate the devotion of the holy rosary as a powerful means of combating error and vice. The decisive victory of the Christians at the battle of Lepanto in 1571 prompted Pope Pius V to institute this feast and to decree that the Blessed Virgin Mary be invoked as "Help of Christians."

I could go on and on about how the Church values and promotes the daily recitation of the rosary and how precious praying the Rosary is to Our Blessed Mother, and why She loves it so much, and about the graces and heavenly benefits we get by praying many rosaries every day, but I won't waste either of our time.

And so I said it appears that the Church endorses the rosary.

Miriam_M

Neither as a human being nor as a Catholic should you concern yourself with "definitive judgments" about Catholic spirituality.  We're talking about Catholic spirituality here -- you know, prayer -- not Working Drawings for a contractor to add a second story to a house (which, if he doesn't follow to the letter, the addition may collapse and kill people), or critical information for the Department of Defense.  If you, individually, need to be "sure" of everything, then there is no way you can be "sure" of the existence of God, either. He doesn't ask for that, and for most of us, He's not going to give us that special privilege, either, because that is the whole point of faith. Faith is belief in things unseen and "unverifiable."

QuoteI'll also point out, the fact that the Church seems to endorse it could in great part be due to the fact that trad priests are constantly trying to shove it down everybody's throat, acting as if the Church requires us to pray the rosary daily when the Church requires no such thing.

"Shove it down our throat" is strong language.  Make an appointment with a trad priest, please -- not about the rosary but about the fact that the devil is manipulating the heck out of your scruples.

Daniel

Quote from: Miriam_M on November 30, 2020, 12:43:51 PM

Neither as a human being nor as a Catholic should you concern yourself with "definitive judgments" about Catholic spirituality.  We're talking about Catholic spirituality here -- you know, prayer -- not Working Drawings for a contractor to add a second story to a house (which, if he doesn't follow to the letter, the addition may collapse and kill people), or critical information for the Department of Defense.  If you, individually, need to be "sure" of everything, then there is no way you can be "sure" of the existence of God, either. He doesn't ask for that, and for most of us, He's not going to give us that special privilege, either, because that is the whole point of faith. Faith is belief in things unseen and "unverifiable."

Ok, but, practically speaking, shouldn't prayer be a means to union with God? If a particular prayer causes us to hate God and to become lazy in our prayer life and to despair, why should we be praying it? It's not like the rosary is an end in itself or something, and I doubt our praying it pleases God if we do so while simultaneously hating Him.

QuoteI'll also point out, the fact that the Church seems to endorse it could in great part be due to the fact that trad priests are constantly trying to shove it down everybody's throat, acting as if the Church requires us to pray the rosary daily when the Church requires no such thing.

"Shove it down our throat" is strong language.  Make an appointment with a trad priest, please -- not about the rosary but about the fact that the devil is manipulating the heck out of your scruples.

I'm not sure it's scruples, but the devil probably has something to do with it. And I think you're right, but at the moment I can't find even one trad priest who can help.

MundaCorMeum

Miriam_M

Quote from: Daniel on November 30, 2020, 01:03:12 PM

I'm not sure it's scruples, but the devil probably has something to do with it. And I think you're right, but at the moment I can't find even one trad priest who can help.

Many of us are having the same problem regarding the availability of trad priests, but I shall definitely add you -- yes, to my rosary.
:)

mikemac

Quote from: Miriam_M on November 30, 2020, 02:47:05 PM
Quote from: Daniel on November 30, 2020, 01:03:12 PM

Many of us are having the same problem regarding the availability of trad priests, but I shall definitely add you -- yes, to my rosary.
:)

Me too.

Source

queen.saints

On the original topic: it's important to teach this to children while they are still quite young. I know a young man who started going exclusively to the Latin Mass from the age of 7 and for the next 15 years you'd have thought he was totally against the Novus Ordo, but deep in his heart he still held attachment to his early childhood memories at his old parish. His sibling who was just a few years younger never had this issue- through no personal merit- it was just that all their happy childhood memories involved the Latin Mass and they could never imagine going to Novus Ordo; it repulses them.
I am sorry for the times I have publicly criticized others on this forum, especially traditional Catholic religious, and any other scandalous posts and pray that no one reads or believes these false and ignorant statements.

jc176

Quote from: Kaesekopf on November 21, 2020, 05:19:46 PM
Better, rather, to teach them the Faith, and make sure they "know their stuff", as opposed to teaching them the ins and outs of the lacking of the NO.

Well, that's the issue isn't it?  Liturgy is the highest form of catechesis so right off knowing the Faith and knowing the 'ins and outs' of liturgy are tied together. What is the NO producing as opposed to the TLM? I'm thinking your typical liberal 'devout Catholic' (Biden, Pelosi, etc.) is NO if they attend regularly at all.