Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

A triple feature on TCM: Cool Hand Luke,The Sunshine Boys, and Going My Way.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Heinrich

Nice. Although I have never heard of the last two. Planning to watch Jack Reacher tonight. A classmate from high school has a speaking part in it.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Clare

And finally, Revenge of the Sith.
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

piabee

SIDE BY SIDE: The Science, Art and Impact of Digital Cinema. You could make a documentary about paint drying and I would watch it and find it fascinating.

Pheo

Quote from: piabee on February 23, 2014, 04:52:24 PM
SIDE BY SIDE: The Science, Art and Impact of Digital Cinema. You could make a documentary about paint drying and I would watch it and find it fascinating.

Watching paint dry is way more exciting than you might have guessed:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW5wB8rJ8Zc[/yt]
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

drummerboy

Dr. Zhivago.  The original 1965 version of course!
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Heinrich

Jack Reacher. Pretty good. My high school peer did not have a speaking part, but he was in the movie.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Gardener

Quote from: Heinrich on February 23, 2014, 06:47:43 PM
Jack Reacher. Pretty good. My high school peer did not have a speaking part, but he was in the movie.

The "hey that's my sister!", "she a good kisser?" Was easily one of the best lines.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Archer

Teacher's Pet with Clark Gable and Doris Day. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

voxxpopulisuxx

Crazy stupid love...very funny.
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

Heinrich

Quote from: Gardener on February 23, 2014, 07:08:53 PM
Quote from: Heinrich on February 23, 2014, 06:47:43 PM

The "hey that's my sister!", "she a good kisser?" Was easily one of the best lines.

"Remember. You asked for this."

SamVanHouten

Quote from: Arun on February 15, 2014, 05:56:30 PM
Movie 43. Stupidest f@#king thing I have ever seen. Don't watch it.

One of the most vile, puerile "movies" ever put to film. I'm sorry.

Speaking of movies, I've been meaning to see that Spike Jonze movie "Her", where a guy falls in love with his OS. Looks really good.

Bernadette

Waking Ned Divine (netflix). Funny, entertaining flick about a couple of guys in Ireland who decide to impersonate a lottery winner in order to claim the prize, after they discover that he died from the shock of winning.
My Lord and my God.

RedCaves

Enemy of the State

Watching it after the NSA scandal came out made me feel a bit awkward....

tmw89

Finally got around to re-watching The Godfather Part III for the first time in a long time.  What a confused mess!  Here are a few thoughts on it:

I take no issue with long movies, but from the obviously pained editing it occurred to me that the only reason this film clocked in at ~ 170 minutes was the rationale "because it's a Godfather movie."

Sofia Coppola, so often ridiculed for her bad acting in this final chapter of the saga, was truly the least of the movie's problems.  Great acting by Eli Wallach, however -- so much so that I think he should have been recognized for it.

Al Pacino fades in and out as Michael... sometimes he got back into the character, other times he's just later career Al Pacino.

Connecting the plot to the JP1 nontificate was an interesting move, I'd like to have seen more of it.  But why did the picture go out of the way to tell us it's set in 1979 when P6 & JP1 died in '78?  Odd.

I was very, very surprised Coppola had the nerve to make Michael mention P2.

About 40% of this movie is salvageable, the rest should be cast into fire.
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!