Do you support Bishop Fellay or Bishop Williamson?

Started by ServusSpiritusSancti, January 15, 2013, 02:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ServusSpiritusSancti

Just curious what side people here are on.

As I'm sure many of you know, I'm a supporter of Bishop Williamson and the resistance.

CoolCat

neosspx Fellay? I must have my history wrong. Pardon, but isn't +Fellay the Superior General of the (original) SSPX?

See this is what I mean about soap operas.

Bonaventure

+W is right for the wrong reasons. +F is wrong for the right reasons.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

ServusSpiritusSancti

Neo-SSPX is just a term the resistance uses to describe today's SSPX under the leadership of the Bishop Fellay.

CoolCat

Quote from: ServumSpiritusSanctus on January 15, 2013, 02:17:31 PM
Neo-SSPX is just a term the resistance uses to describe today's SSPX under the leadership of the Bishop Fellay.
Now we can all understand what position you have taken.

Thank you for letting us know what (in this case), the terminology means.

beagle

CoolCat

The more ruptures that occur within traditional Catholicism, the more difficult it is for a Catholic to stand fast in his faith. One should not take "sides". We should be on the same side.
This mess is a diabolical disorientation.
Pray for this to end swiftly.

ServusSpiritusSancti

I don't like the division amongst Traditional Catholics either, but I'm afraid that Bishop Fellay is to blame for this disaster.

Roland Deschain

I selected +Williamson but I don't think either side has done a very good job of handling the situation. I am completely behind the "resistance" stand that there must be agreement on doctrine before any so-called "deal" can be signed.
'Since Moses was alone, by having been stripped as it were of the people's fear, he boldly approached the very darkness itself and entered the invisible things where he was no longer seen by those watching. After he entered the inner sanctuary of the divine mystical doctrine, there, while not being seen, he was in company with the Invisible. He teaches, I think, by the things he did that the one who is going to associate intimately with God must go beyond all that is visible and—lifting up his own mind, as to a mountaintop, to the invisible and incomprehensible—believe that the divine is there where the understanding does not reach.'

—St Gregory of Nyssa

Greg

I don't think any branch of Tradom is wholly correct.

Lots of examples of confusion, lies, false allegations, slander, mis characterisation, hypocrisy, compromise in every camp.

No camp will come through the chastisement smelling of roses.

There are excellent priests in all camps who care about souls and there are some utter twits too.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Roland Deschain

Quote from: Greg on January 16, 2013, 07:23:27 AM
I don't think any branch of Tradom is wholly correct.

Lots of examples of confusion, lies, false allegations, slander, mis characterisation, hypocrisy, compromise in every camp.

No camp will come through the chastisement smelling of roses.

There are excellent priests in all camps who care about souls and there are some utter twits too.

I think everyone no matter what "camp" can agree with that statement.
'Since Moses was alone, by having been stripped as it were of the people's fear, he boldly approached the very darkness itself and entered the invisible things where he was no longer seen by those watching. After he entered the inner sanctuary of the divine mystical doctrine, there, while not being seen, he was in company with the Invisible. He teaches, I think, by the things he did that the one who is going to associate intimately with God must go beyond all that is visible and—lifting up his own mind, as to a mountaintop, to the invisible and incomprehensible—believe that the divine is there where the understanding does not reach.'

—St Gregory of Nyssa

Melkite

I chose neither.  If I were going to leave union with Rome, I'd go Orthodox.  AFAI'MC, neither Williamson nor Fellay are Catholic.

Magnificat

I put + Williamson but had there been a "both" option I would have chosen it.

I am thoroughly sympathetic to the Resistance but hope that perhaps under future stronger leadership, the SSPX will become again what it was. In that respect I consider myself still supportive of the SSPX and its foundations.

Although it is shocking for us to witness, many, if not all the religious orders and congregations have gone through this. They would relax from their founders' principles and have to be re-oriented and reminded of their goals and spirituality. Splits happened. Sometimes new orders were formed.

The SSPX situation is not an exact parallel to those incidents with religious orders because of the complications of the crisis involved, but there are similarities that help us understand that what's going on is not as earth-shattering as some think it is. In the history of religious orders and societies, it is old news and to be expected, especially a few decades after the death of the founder.

I think the worst part is that we can't turn to the mainstream Church to help us sort it out. When other orders and societies went through growing pains, I don't know if it affected the laity as much as this does. That is the one much more serious difference here. But as fearful as we can get we have to remember that somewhere in it all Providence is using it to our greater sanctity if we'll only let Him.

ServusSpiritusSancti

Quote from: Melkite on January 16, 2013, 12:50:22 PM
I chose neither.  If I were going to leave union with Rome, I'd go Orthodox.  AFAI'MC, neither Williamson nor Fellay are Catholic.

I wouldn't say that. Not with what we have going on in the Vatican today. But that's another topic.

CoolCat

Quote from: Melkite on January 16, 2013, 12:50:22 PM
I am no fan of either. But to say that they are not Catholic is a bit of a stretch. I take it you do not attend Mass in the Latin Rite, and don't believe Pope Benedect XVI is St. Peter's succesor.