Balls O' Yarn

Started by Akavit, December 16, 2016, 09:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carleendiane

Akavit.....I promise....I will NEVER, NEVER.....bring up that coffee table again. 60-70 hrs. a week. I don't know how you manage. That is a lot of time at work. Do you ever wish you were just an employee and not owner of this company? I mean you would get to work with wood, which you obviously love, but you would get to go home after you punch out.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Akavit

Quote from: Carleendiane on January 14, 2017, 10:20:09 AM
60-70 hrs. a week. I don't know how you manage. That is a lot of time at work.
It's not all that difficult.  Since I handle everything, that includes emails, phone calls, designing, traveling and fun stuff like shop improvements.  Even if I work a 12 hour day, it's not all physical labor so it doesn't usually get fatiguing.  I also do most internet and design work from home instead of going to the shop.

QuoteDo you ever wish you were just an employee and not owner of this company? I mean you would get to work with wood, which you obviously love, but you would get to go home after you punch out.
NOT A CHANCE!  I did the employee thing for 10 years and enjoyed it very much.  But having got a taste of being self-employed, it would be difficult for me to go back to employee status.  This is especially true because in my previous job, I had a huge amount of autonomy in how I'd do the work once I'd been there for 5 years.  So I'm used to calling the shots in the workplace and most jobs don't offer that benefit.  Also, woodworking is pretty easy.  Making it into a successful business is a much bigger challenge and that excites me.

One of my sticking points is that I've got different ideas on how a small, professional woodshop should operate and many small business owners would be afraid to take the risk to make it happen.  If an owner is turning a profit, he's unlikely to want to change anything about the operation.  If he's losing money, he'll usually try to work in a frenzy to shove projects out the door and collect payment.  It's rare to find people who want to undertake a program of infrastructure changes because doing so usually means taking 10 steps backwards before advancing again.  There are some rare owners that are like-minded and many are running highly successful companies.  But now that I have a chance to take the helm myself, I'm going to take that chance and run with it.

erin is nice

There are easy directions for making a swift out of pvc pipe and a few joints and dowel rods. My dad made it for me and all the pieces come apart so it's easy to store. I don't have a ball winder though, I wind by hand.

kayla_veronica

Quote from: verenaerin on December 17, 2016, 06:32:35 AM
All the yarn stores have one of those. My mother does as well.

Some yarn comes in hanks. Hanks of yarn are wound in a circle then twisted. You untwist and attach the yarn to this machine to make a ball. A ball of yarn is created to easily pull the yarn without knots occurring. If you did that with a hank of yarn, the whole thing would get tangled, resulting in tears of frustration and possibly fire.

I have zero patience for tangled yarn! Poor hubby still doesn't have his winter hat because I was using hanks I picked up a thrift store and just couldn't handle it anymore!
May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable,
most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God
be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored
and glorified in Heaven, on earth,
and under the earth,
by all the creatures of God,
and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ,
in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar.
Amen.

Bernadette

Quote from: kayla_veronica on February 28, 2017, 09:40:35 PM

Some yarn comes in hanks. Hanks of yarn are wound in a circle then twisted. You untwist and attach the yarn to this machine to make a ball. A ball of yarn is created to easily pull the yarn without knots occurring. If you did that with a hank of yarn, the whole thing would get tangled, resulting in tears of frustration and possibly fire.

I have zero patience for tangled yarn! Poor hubby still doesn't have his winter hat because I was using hanks I picked up a thrift store and just couldn't handle it anymore!

I actually like untangling tangled yarn. It's so satisfying. Like a puzzle, but useful!
My Lord and my God.

kayla_veronica

Quote from: Bernadette on March 01, 2017, 12:02:12 AM

I actually like untangling tangled yarn. It's so satisfying. Like a puzzle, but useful!

Good on ya! Takes heroic patience.
May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable,
most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God
be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored
and glorified in Heaven, on earth,
and under the earth,
by all the creatures of God,
and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ,
in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar.
Amen.

Bernadette

Quote from: kayla_veronica on March 01, 2017, 02:51:15 PM

Good on ya! Takes heroic patience.

Not if you like it.  :P
My Lord and my God.

MundaCorMeum

I spent almost the entire Super Bowl occupying myself with a tangled ball of yarn (I mean, really, the Super Bowl....boring!).  You and I could solve some serious life problems together, while untangling yarn  ;)