World Cup 2018

Started by LausTibiChriste, June 17, 2018, 02:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

awkwardcustomer

Quote from: clau clau on July 09, 2018, 02:36:21 PM
Best bit is at the end.  Same song as above but different video.   Greg, did you know 'Psycho' Stuart Pearce went to Claremont High School.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyoy2_7FegI[/yt]

Poor old Gareth Southgate.  Never mind ....

"We still believe, we still believe, we still believe ....
It's coming home, it's coming home, it's coming, football's coming home ....

Three lions on a shirt, Jules Rimet still gleaming,
No more years of hurt, no more need for dreaming ...

It's coming home, it's coming home, it's coming, football's coming home ...."

I was hoping to avoid all this, but the has excitement proved too much and I'm hooked.   
And formerly the heretics were manifest; but now the Church is filled with heretics in disguise.  
St Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lecture 15, para 9.

And what rough beast, it's hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
WB Yeats, 'The Second Coming'.

Greg

No, didn't know that.

But I hate Frank Skinner and that other tosser in the video.

I am glad I have gone to Asia for 2 weeks to get away from all the hope and disappointment.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

awkwardcustomer

Quote from: Greg on July 09, 2018, 04:47:50 PM
I am glad I have gone to Asia for 2 weeks to get away from all the hope and disappointment.

You have a point, I must admit.
And formerly the heretics were manifest; but now the Church is filled with heretics in disguise.  

Arvinger

France in the final. The French play fantastically in defense throughout this tournament, today in 2nd half they pretty much neutralized Belgian attack, Lukaku had little opportunity to do anything. Both goalkeepers played a good game, probably either Lloris or Courtois (maybe Subasi?) will get the goalkeeper of the tournament award.

Tomorrow I will cheer for Croatia - 20 years after the generation of Suker, Boban and Prosinecki took 3rd place in the World Cup, Croats have a chance to achieve something great again.

clau clau

I bought my Emotional insurance policy yesterday.

http://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=20195.msg447380#msg447380

Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Greg

Spread betting is a mystery to me..

And should remain so.  Did you know that Philip's cousin is the founder of Betfair?

I am here in the Bangkok Hilton.

No, not THAT one...much though some of you would rejoice at that news.  Besides, they don't have free WiFi there.

This one.  http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/thailand/millennium-hilton-bangkok-BKKHITW/index.html

Enjoying the view from the 35th floor and free food.  I sneaked into the Executive Lounge that has free food, beer and wine.  It is something of a hobby of mine to see how many freebies I can steal and how many first class lounges I can bamboozle my way into.  The ultimate test of a salesperson if you can bamboozle your way in.

Nothing has changed since Los Angeles in 1987 when I bullshitted my way to Hawaii on Northwest Orient. And to ringside in the Tyson v Tucker fight.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Greg

I have a briefcase so will be nicking a couple of beers for tonight's game.  Keep them cold in the mini bar

I used to sneak into business class and first class on the aircraft, but September 11th put pay to that.  International terrorism always ruins things.

This place is full of rich Chinese people.

awkwardcustomer

Greg,

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for something you said in a thread that I can't remember the name of.  It referred to getting control of one's mind, or the thoughts that enter and leave one's mind.  (I'm paraphrasing a bit.) This has stuck with me, as I do have a tendency to let thoughts run wild.  (This is a sincere comment.)

So I'm happy to report that, after some seriously hard work, I have managed to detach myself completely from the outcome of tonight's game.  I have achieved this by convincing myself that Croatia are going to win.  In my mind they have won already. Tonight's game is irrelevant to me. I know the result already.

Pure detachmnet, I'm sure, would mean not caring either way, but one step at a time, eh.

So thanks again and enjoy the Bangkok Hilton.

awkwardcustomer

Quote from: clau clau on July 11, 2018, 03:45:23 AM
I bought my Emotional insurance policy yesterday.

http://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=20195.msg447380#msg447380

I haven't bothered with mine because I found another way - mind control.

I've convinced myself that Croatia are going to win, addressed the resulting disappointment, and moved on. And I'm okay with that.  So I'm way ahead of tonight's result, both mentally and emotionally.

Football's coming home?  Sadly, not this time either.

Meanwhile, have a lovely steak dinner. You will have deserved it.

Xavier

Nah, you want to love your team and support it all the way through. That way, you have the exhilaration and the thrill if they win. You'll miss out on that if you watch with a purposeful neutrality or a complete detachment. As for the worst case outcome, if they lose; you can be glad they came this far. : D

So, predictions, folks, for England-Croatia? Or am I the only one who will venture a guess! I don't see England losing though it's the semis, because they usually lose to teams like Brazil (2002, Quart), Germany (2010, also Quart) etc. I think they lost to Argentina and Portugal once also in the Quarters. But I don't see them getting past France either. My prediction for today's game is 2-1 to England.

Also, Kane should now win the Golden Boot for this World Cup easily. Especially with Belgium losing. Lukaku was at 4. Kane is at 6 and the 2 nearest are Mbappe and Griezmann at 3 goals each. There's a third place playoff before the final though.

Here are the top 5 goals in the WC so far, along with a match preview for the big game. Link
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

Sempronius

Well I have to go for Croatia. England seem to be favourites but they arent that much better actually. All of them are average except for Harry Kane, Walker, and maybe Sterling can be dangerous.

1-2 to Croatia.

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Sempronius on July 11, 2018, 09:30:57 AM
Well I have to go for Croatia. England seem to be favourites but they arent that much better actually. All of them are average except for Harry Kane, Walker, and maybe Sterling can be dangerous.

1-2 to Croatia.

Delle Ali is not average, he's a top player. Same with Pickford, the keeper. Stones, Henderson, Maguire, Lingard, etc., are reliable without being spectacular.

Actually, Southgate has done a pretty good job with this team, implementing a solid 3-5-2 scheme. I thought it wouldn't work out but it did. Croatia has an amazing team, Modric is playing superbly, but I think this English side can really go all the way.

In the final, though, France is always the favourite. They're the better side of this whole tournament, having an exceptionally talented generation. They have top players basically in every position.

Be it France-Croatia or France-England, I'd give 60% to 70% favouritism to the French.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

clau clau

Quote from: Xavier on July 11, 2018, 09:15:14 AM
Nah, you want to love your team and support it all the way through. That way, you have the exhilaration and the thrill if they win. You'll miss out on that if you watch with a purposeful neutrality or a complete detachment. As for the worst case outcome, if they lose; you can be glad they came this far. : D

You obviously don't know what it is like to be an England fan.

Everyone seems to know the score, they've seen it all before
They just know, they're so sure
That England's gonna throw it away, gonna blow it away
But I know they can play, 'cause I remember ...

-- 3 Lions (lyrics)

:)

Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

awkwardcustomer

Quote from: clau clau on July 11, 2018, 10:00:28 AM

You obviously don't know what it is like to be an England fan.

Everyone seems to know the score, they've seen it all before
They just know, they're so sure
That England's gonna throw it away, gonna blow it away
But I know they can play, 'cause I remember ...

-- 3 Lions (lyrics)

:)

No-one knows what it's like to be an England fan. They haven't lived through -

So many jokes, so many sneers,
But all those all so-nears,
When you're down
Through the years
But....

Thirty years of hurt, never stopped me dreaming...

Wait .... I'm slipping.

Time for some mind control.

awkwardcustomer

So, predictions, folks, for England-Croatia? Or am I the only one who will venture a guess! I don't see England losing though it's the semis, because they usually lose to teams like Brazil (2002, Quart), Germany (2010, also Quart) etc. I think they lost to Argentina and Portugal once also in the Quarters. But I don't see them getting past France either. My prediction for today's game is 2-1 to England.

Also, Kane should now win the Golden Boot for this World Cup easily. Especially with Belgium losing. Lukaku was at 4. Kane is at 6 and the 2 nearest are Mbappe and Griezmann at 3 goals each. There's a third place playoff before the final though.

Here are the top 5 goals in the WC so far, along with a match preview for the big game. Link

Xavier, this video really does show what it's like to be an England fan, with all the excitement, hope and despair that involves.  Two versions were posted earlier.  Here's the most recent again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyoy2_7FegI&list=RDRJqimlFcJsM&index=2