What's for dinner?

Started by Fleur-de-Lys, May 11, 2016, 12:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fleur-de-Lys

I'm making keftedes (Greek meatballs) with tzatziki, flatbread, fries, and a Greek salad.

Fleur-de-Lys

We are having fried chicken with biscuits and cole slaw and a Boston cream pie.

maryslittlegarden

Fried potatoes and baked beans
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

MundaCorMeum

#3 turns 10 today.  She requested chicken with rice and gravy.  so, that's what's for dinner!

Fleur-de-Lys

Chicken piccata with linguine and asparagus

Fleur-de-Lys

I'm making a pot roast with potatoes, carrots, and French bread, and I have a white chocolate-raspberry cake for dessert.

Fleur-de-Lys

Chicken parmigiana with spaghetti

MundaCorMeum

I've been on a 'sheet pan meal' kick lately.  I try a new one once a week.  Tonight is sheet pan beef and broccoli.  I'll make a side of garlic basmati rice to go with it. 

Fleur-de-Lys

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on September 09, 2019, 12:39:19 PM
I've been on a 'sheet pan meal' kick lately.  I try a new one once a week.  Tonight is sheet pan beef and broccoli.  I'll make a side of garlic basmati rice to go with it.

Could you tell us more about these sheet pan meals, Munda? I'm not familiar with them.

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on September 09, 2019, 02:05:49 PM
Quote from: MundaCorMeum on September 09, 2019, 12:39:19 PM

Could you tell us more about these sheet pan meals, Munda? I'm not familiar with them.

So, the idea is that you cook and entire meal on one of those large, jelly roll, sheet pans.  My family is too large to feed with just one pan, so I usually do two, and occasionally a third, glass baking dish, depending on what I'm making.   If you line it with parchment or aluminum foil, it makes for easy clean up.  The stove doesn't get dirty, and the oven does most of the work. 

As an example, a couple weeks ago, I did sheet pan chicken fajitas, and it was delicious!  I cut boneless chicken thighs into strips, and marinated for an hour or so in my favorite fajita marinade.  Then, I sliced a couple onions and belpeppers, put that on the sheet pan with the chicken, and roasted in the oven until the chicken was done.  Serve on flour tortillas with whatever extra toppings you like. 

MundaCorMeum

Fleur-de-Lys

Those both sound really good!  :)

MundaCorMeum

The demise of the sheet pan meal is when a thunder storm rolls in right as you're preheating the oven, and you lose electricity.  So.....peanut butter and jelly, I guess it is!  >:(

Fleur-de-Lys

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on September 09, 2019, 05:36:32 PM
The demise of the sheet pan meal is when a thunder storm rolls in right as you're preheating the oven, and you lose electricity.  So.....peanut butter and jelly, I guess it is!  >:(

Oh, no! I hope you can salvage the ingredients and cook it another time.

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on September 09, 2019, 05:48:54 PM
Quote from: MundaCorMeum on September 09, 2019, 05:36:32 PM

Oh, no! I hope you can salvage the ingredients and cook it another time.

We held out for a bit and waited.  Electricity came on in time for a late dinner.  It was really good.  Everyone are it.  But, I prefer the sweet marinade for chicken or pork.  I think next time I do beef and broccoli, I'll make it more savory. 

Tonight is my husband's night to cook; he's making jambalaya