What is the soul?

Started by gsas, November 18, 2019, 10:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gsas

There are endless references to the soul in the new testament.  But what is it?  In the book of Genesis of the old testament, God created man by forming a body out of dust, then breathing a life in it with a spirit.  So men are body plus spirit.  No mention of a soul.  So where does the soul come from? And what is its function?

Maximilian

Daniel

I think there are 'endless references' in the Old Testament as well.

This might be an oversimplification, but:
English spirit = Latin spiritus = Greek pneuma = Hebrew ruach
English soul = Latin anima = Greek psyche = Hebrew nephesh

The 'soul' is the thing that animates the body. It's the thing that lives on after the body dies--the thing that goes to heaven, hell, or purgatory (to await its reunion with its body on Judgement Day).

I don't think the Church has a definitive teaching on what 'spirit' is. Some say it's the same thing as 'soul'; others say it's the highest part (or whatever) of the 'soul'; others say it's entirely distinct from 'soul'.

Non Nobis

Quote from: Matthew 10[28] And fear ye not them that kill the body, and are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him that can destroy both soul and body in hell.

Quote from: Matthew 16[26] For what doth it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his own soul? Or what exchange shall a man give for his soul?
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Michael Wilson

Man is composed a material body and a spiritual immortal soul; the soul is a spiritual entity, similar to an angel; but unlike the angelic nature, its meant to be united and vivify a material nature. The soul is utterly simple, and therefore has no parts to decay and fall into corruption; its essentially of its nature immortal.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers