Baptismal stipend for priest

Started by Perpetua, May 28, 2016, 02:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perpetua

We are baptizing our baby tomorrow. How much is customary to give in stipend to the priest?

Kaesekopf

I'd say $25 sounds about fair, based on a quick survey of Google.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

MundaCorMeum

Each family's income varies, so it's hard to put a set amount. But, we give the amount equal to our normal Sunday contribution....so, we would end up giving 5 equal donations for a baptism month, rather than our usual 4.

Fleur-de-Lys

We give $100. I don't know why I thought that was the usual amount.

ETA: Congratulations! And prayers for your little one.

Stu Cool

We give a $100 as well.  The priests were both diocesan, so they went out of the way to do the traditional rite.   

verenaerin

Penelope

We give what we can afford, which isn't much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chestertonian

I don't think I paid the priest who baptized me.  he never asked for money and I didn't know it was a thing.  good thing because I was a broke college kid.  I baptized or daughter and when my son was born the priest never said anything and we didn't know. 
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

alicewyf

$50 for each kid. Give cash, because the one time we wrote a check they did not cash it. I think they were trying to be nice.  :-[

Spade

I didn't know you were supposed to.  :shrug: We did give him a pretty nice gift though, so I hope that's okay.
Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi, quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum.
Qui passus es pro nobis, Domine, Domine, miserere nobis.

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Spade on May 28, 2016, 10:44:57 PM
I didn't know you were supposed to.  :shrug: We did give him a pretty nice gift though, so I hope that's okay.

It's not officially a requirement. It's more common practice....a nice gesture to say thank you. A nice gift would stand in the place of a monetary donation. I think you did just fine  :)

spasiisochrani

We had 9 kids baptized and never gave a stipend to the priest.  Had no idea that such a thing is done.

OzarkCatholic

We gave him a bottle of wine  from my work and $25 (he did say low mass following the baptism though). At our wedding we gave him $125 and a bottle...
Feels like Groundhog Day again.