How to live out your Faith in everyday life

Started by Perpetua, March 24, 2016, 04:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perpetua

How do you live a Catholic family life when as a married couple you don't have time together (husband works full time, then works hard with house remodeling and all his other duties and responsibilities)?
How do you fit in prayer and growing in virtue?
How do I help my husband spiritually and how do I help him handle the overwhelming stress?

I am at home and have 2 months before our first baby is born. I have more time to read, reflect, pray etc. I wish that I could share what I learn through spiritual reading about family life so that we are equal in knowledge and preparation. At the same time, I understand that time is limited for him for a period of time (months, maybe a year or two?) and I don't want to put more pressure on him. So what do we do?

LausTibiChriste

Highly recommend, if you haven't read it already, St Therese's "Story of a Soul". Her "little way" is all about making everyday necessities into acts of love for God. Sometimes you won't have time to pray, that's a fact - but if you follow St Therese, your acts as a wife and mother will be a prayer them self. Offer up your little struggles each day for your husband, yourself, your kids, or whatever.

Spiritual contracts are huge too. For example, "every time I make the sign of the cross, that's a prayer for my husband"

It's VERY easy to fall into the trap of thinking that having no time for prayer and spiritual reading means we're not being holy. The reverse is true, however. It very well can be that if you're neglecting your duties to pray, you're committing sin.

Reading the classics on God's will would help a lot too, I think.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Perpetua

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on March 24, 2016, 06:01:19 PM
Highly recommend, if you haven't read it already, St Therese's "Story of a Soul". Her "little way" is all about making everyday necessities into acts of love for God. Sometimes you won't have time to pray, that's a fact - but if you follow St Therese, your acts as a wife and mother will be a prayer them self. Offer up your little struggles each day for your husband, yourself, your kids, or whatever.

Spiritual contracts are huge too. For example, "every time I make the sign of the cross, that's a prayer for my husband"

It's VERY easy to fall into the trap of thinking that having no time for prayer and spiritual reading means we're not being holy. The reverse is true, however. It very well can be that if you're neglecting your duties to pray, you're committing sin.

Reading the classics on God's will would help a lot too, I think.

That is one of my favorite saints and books! I just need to keep reminding myself of the contents.

What are the classics on God's will?

LausTibiChriste

HELIOTROPIUM by Fr. Jeremias Drexelius

Abandonment to Divine Providence by Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Trustful Surrender to Divine Providence: The Secret of Peace and Happiness by  Blessed Claude de la Colombière
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie