My computer blew up

Started by peanut, September 10, 2013, 09:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanut

Which means I'm relying entirely on my almost 4 year old Macbook, which oddly enough still works - mostly. The Dell I bought last year decided to blow up tonight, just shy of a year after I bought it.  I had a Dell Inspiron with an AMD processor that cost about $500.  Warranty repair isn't possible so I guess I have to buy a new one.  Can anyone recommend something reliable?  I thought Dells were supposed to be reliable but I guess not!  No Macs - I don't have the money.

Thanks  folks ;D
Latest article: Corporate assessment centres - deranged products of mercantile delusion: http://bit.ly/16Nq0Tf

Kaesekopf

What doesn't work anymore?  Just fix the current Dell, if possible?

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 4

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

peanut

It comes on for about 5 minutes then the screen goes black and nothing happens, meaning I have to force the power off, meaning when I start up again I get "windows could not load, now checking your disk".  I don't really want to repair it; that'd just mean spending half as much as it's worth again for someone to gain access to my data so they can sticky-tape it together and give me another 6 months of use. I'd rather start again with something decent.
Latest article: Corporate assessment centres - deranged products of mercantile delusion: http://bit.ly/16Nq0Tf

Maximilian

I have bought several Toshiba laptops. They seemed to offer the best value for the money, and I have been very satisfied with the quality and durability.

I bought directly from the Toshiba website. However, first I did some comparison shopping on Amazon.

LouisIX

You mean a Macbook outlasted a PC?  That never happens.  Ever.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Pheo

Refurb Mac.

Posted from my 5+ year old MBP ;)
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

LouisIX

Quote from: Pheo on September 10, 2013, 05:06:35 PM
Refurb Mac.

Posted from my 5+ year old MBP ;)

I've never had a PC that lasted much longer than 2 years.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

peanut

Anyone got a Sony Vaio?  I've heard they're supposed to be pretty reliable.

The Harlequin King

Quote from: LouisIX on September 10, 2013, 05:22:29 PM

I can believe that if you mean pre-built types like Dells, but my custom-built PC's last the better part of a decade. Any upgrades I make are only to run newer games with more intense graphic settings; not because it's broken.

LouisIX

Quote from: The Harlequin King on September 10, 2013, 05:37:01 PM
Quote from: LouisIX on September 10, 2013, 05:22:29 PM

I can believe that if you mean pre-built types like Dells, but my custom-built PC's last the better part of a decade. Any upgrades I make are only to run newer games with more intense graphic settings; not because it's broken.

And this perfectly highlights the niche markets of both types.  I do not have nearly enough knowledge of computers to order a custom one.  For someone like me, a Macbook is the best option, certainly better than pre-built PCs.

The Harlequin King

Quote from: LouisIX on September 10, 2013, 05:40:26 PM
And this perfectly highlights the niche markets of both types.  I do not have nearly enough knowledge of computers to order a custom one.  For someone like me, a Macbook is the best option, certainly better than pre-built PCs.

Sure. I'm not a Mac-hating fanboy. I'd call a Macbook a boutique but durable laptop for users who only need basic functions (Internet, word processing, etc.). That covers the majority of people who use laptops at all. I understand that the Mac desktops can be pretty good for creative software like the Adobe Suite.

However, if anyone on SD wants advice on ordering a custom-built gaming rig, I'd be happy to dispense my wisdom.

Pheo

Dell seems to have given up on building things that last.  My first laptop was a Dell (Inspiron 8600) - I got it back in 2004, and my dad still uses it as a cheap beater computer to have at work.  He replaced the harddrive and the bulb in the screen, but those aren't really surprising fixes.  The thing just keeps going.  Good luck getting anywhere near that out of a modern Dell...

Of course the price of laptops was pretty scary back then.  Maybe they're just playing to the market now.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: peanut on September 10, 2013, 04:38:21 PM
It comes on for about 5 minutes then the screen goes black and nothing happens, meaning I have to force the power off, meaning when I start up again I get "windows could not load, now checking your disk".  I don't really want to repair it; that'd just mean spending half as much as it's worth again for someone to gain access to my data so they can sticky-tape it together and give me another 6 months of use. I'd rather start again with something decent.

Hrm.  Could it be a hard disk problem and you need to replace the HDD?  I'm unsure what it could be.

Also, I doubt anyone cares what your data is.  :)
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Bonaventure

Once you go Mac, you'll never go back.

Quote from: Kaesekopf on September 10, 2013, 09:42:35 PM
Also, I doubt anyone cares what your data is.  :)

LOL. But it's peanut. Everyone is out to get him.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

peanut

Quote from: Kaesekopf on September 10, 2013, 09:42:35 PM
Hrm.  Could it be a hard disk problem and you need to replace the HDD?  I'm unsure what it could be.

I don't know, but I don't think so - I'm thinking more likely some sort of power supply issue - it seems almost like it's trying to go to sleep because it's lost power or something.  But I don't know anything so ignore me.  Anyway I think I'm just going to replace it; I obviously paid for junk and got junk.  No good throwing good money after bad.  This time I'll get the extended warranty. :P  I'm looking at getting a ThinkPad Edge E531, since everyone seems to have nice things to say about Lenovos. Plus Windows 7, obviously - this means I can have another go at dual booting Kubuntu.

Quote from: Bonaventure on September 10, 2013, 09:48:54 PM
Once you go Mac, you'll never go back.

Or in my case, once you ditch Mac you'll never go back?  ;D

QuoteLOL. But it's peanut. Everyone is out to get him.

Actually it's not the illuminati I'm worried about as they've probably got everything anyway.  But imagine if I had photos of myself sitting in my underpants watching Star Trek saved on my hard disk.  I'm fairly sure I don't, but when you don't have access to the disk it's easy to forget how much personal stuff is on there.  With 4chan still in operation, I'm not willing to take the risk.