Does anyone use LilyPond for music engraving?

Started by aquinas138, April 25, 2015, 01:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aquinas138

I am driving myself insane, I believe. I am trying to assemble a booklet for Small Compline for my parish that has our parish propers in it. I am fairly ignorant musically - I can identify a note, and that's about it. Anyway, I am using LaTeX (TeXShop) and LilyPond to produce the musical notation. It works pretty well, but trying to format it is maddening. I am having trouble with spacing:

Mine looks like this:

But I want it to look more like this:

Unfortunately, I don't know how to allow the bar to carry to the next line, and LilyPond's automatic choices look bad. If anyone can help, I'll post my code.
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

Gardener

I've sent this thread link to the music director at the parish. I'll let ya know what he says.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

aquinas138

Quote from: Gardener on April 25, 2015, 03:37:36 PM
I've sent this thread link to the music director at the parish. I'll let ya know what he says.

Thank you very much.
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

Gardener

Howdy.

He replied:

"Lily pond is not user friendly,  Sibelius is probably your best bet.  I've used Encore for years but if I had to learn another software to start over again I'd use Sibelius.  ... "

If you want, I'll PM you with his contact info in case you have more questions or just want to compare musician notes.

edit: fix typo
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe