Gestures during Mass

Started by Penelope, January 07, 2013, 12:16:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penelope

Inspired by my popular "genuflecting to priests" thread, I have another question to pose to the forum. As we know, there are no rubrics for the laity during Mass. Nevertheless, there are some common gestures that I see my fellow congregants perform each week at Mass. Can you tell me how common and/or correct these gestures are for the laity?

Striking the breast three times as the servers recite the Confiteor.
Striking the breast three times during the Hail Holy Queen during the Leonine prayers.
Striking the breast three times during the prayer to the Sacred Heart of Jesus during the Leonine prayers.
Making the Sign of the Cross at various points during the Mass along with the priest or servers (I wish I could be more specific, but I only notice this one every once in a while).

Hmm, any others that you can think of?

Francisco Suárez

Bowing your head when the priest passes during the procession or recession. I've also seen people make the sign of the cross instead.

Making the sign of the cross when the crucifer passes.

Bonaventure

I make the sign of the cross at the adiutorium nostrum, the indulgentiam, the cum sancto spiritu, the et vitam venturi saeculi, and at the Benedictus.

I try to bow my head whenever the priest does, including at the mention of the Holy Name.

I don't strike breast at the Salve Regina because I read somewhere that this is incorrect.

Most of these are pious customs and personal preferences. Asides from the sign of the cross at the beginning, end, and adiutorium, and the striking during the confiteor(s), all of these are up to the individual.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Penelope on January 07, 2013, 12:16:44 AM
Inspired by my popular "genuflecting to priests" thread, I have another question to pose to the forum. As we know, there are no rubrics for the laity during Mass. Nevertheless, there are some common gestures that I see my fellow congregants perform each week at Mass. Can you tell me how common and/or correct these gestures are for the laity?

Striking the breast three times as the servers recite the Confiteor.
This was something I always did because I grew up with a form of the dialogue mass.

However, I think even without a dialogue mass, one can do this if one is praying the Confiteor. It is a proper penitential act to go with that prayer.

Striking the breast three times during the Hail Holy Queen during the Leonine prayers.
That is generally a strange habit people do.

Striking the breast three times during the prayer to the Sacred Heart of Jesus during the Leonine prayers.
Any time we pray for mercy, I think the act is appropriate.

Hmm, any others that you can think of?

It is not a gesture, but I see people trying to follow the priest's prayers in the missal sometimes.

Penelope

You know what I think would be difficult? During the prayers to the Sacred Heart, bowing your head at the Holy Name, coordinating saying the response at the appropriate time, and striking your breast at the same time as you begin the response. I don't think I have the dexterity for that.

The Harlequin King

Quote from: Penelope on January 07, 2013, 12:16:44 AMStriking the breast three times as the servers recite the Confiteor.

All normal in my experience. I don't personally do them, but there's nothing wrong with the gestures, either. For the servers' Confiteor, I don't strike the breast unless I'm actually serving because these are private prayers of preparation between the clergy before ascending the altar. If there is a Confiteor before Communion, though, I strike the breast then because that one represents everyone receiving Communion. Depending on the place, I might also recite the Confiteor aloud with them.

QuoteMaking the Sign of the Cross at various points during the Mass along with the priest or servers (I wish I could be more specific, but I only notice this one every once in a while).

If the rubrics have a server make the sign of the cross, I probably will habitually sign myself at that point as well. I learned most of these places through chanting in the schola. Some of the places you may be thinking of are near the end of certain chants (Gloria, Credo, Sanctus).

Kaesekopf

I picked up the habit of crossing myself three times at each consecration - the first when the priest has finished the words (typically the first bell ringing), then when he elevates the Sacred Species (second bell), and then again at his genuflection (third bell).
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

tmw89

Isn't there another pious practice for the laity during the Consecration to look up at the Body of Christ and say inaudibly "My Lord and my God" ??
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

Francisco Suárez

Yes, and there is an indulgence attached to it.

Penelope

Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 07, 2013, 10:19:31 AM
I picked up the habit of crossing myself three times at each consecration - the first when the priest has finished the words (typically the first bell ringing), then when he elevates the Sacred Species (second bell), and then again at his genuflection (third bell).

At my parish, we sort of have five bells. The first is immediately after the consecration, the next three are as the priest is elevating the Host or Chalice, and the last is at his genuflection.

Quote from: tmw89 on January 07, 2013, 11:24:25 AM
Isn't there another pious practice for the laity during the consecration to look up at the Body of Christ and say inaudibly "My Lord and my God" ??

I read something like this once on FE, but for some reason (maybe I read it?), I thought we were to look up at the Body of Christ as the priest elevates it, then bow (slightly, perhaps just the head) in reverence as we say, "My Lord and my God." I always follow it up with "have mercy on me, a sinner." Then at the elevation of the Chalice, repeat the action, though I'll follow up with "by Thy precious Blood, have mercy on me, a sinner." I don't think I would have come up with any of that on my own, so I must have read it somewhere. I've seen others bow as well, so it mustn't be a totally unheard of practice.

piabee

Quote from: Bonaventure on January 07, 2013, 12:34:47 AM
I don't strike breast at the Salve Regina because I read somewhere that this is incorrect.

Quote from: Pæniteo on January 07, 2013, 12:39:53 AM

I was never taught to do this. Where did it originate?

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: piabee on January 07, 2013, 05:27:25 PM
Quote from: Bonaventure on January 07, 2013, 12:34:47 AM

Quote from: Pæniteo on January 07, 2013, 12:39:53 AM

I was never taught to do this. Where did it originate?

I think it originated from the rhythm and people just do it without thinking.

I won't fault people for doing it, but it does not make sense.

jovan66102

Quote from: Penelope on January 07, 2013, 04:49:39 PM

Isn't there another pious practice for the laity during the consecration to look up at the Body of Christ and say inaudibly "My Lord and my God" ??

I read something like this once on FE, but for some reason (maybe I read it?), I thought we were to look up at the Body of Christ as the priest elevates it, then bow (slightly, perhaps just the head) in reverence as we say, "My Lord and my God." I always follow it up with "have mercy on me, a sinner." Then at the elevation of the Chalice, repeat the action, though I'll follow up with "by Thy precious Blood, have mercy on me, a sinner." I don't think I would have come up with any of that on my own, so I must have read it somewhere. I've seen others bow as well, so it mustn't be a totally unheard of practice.

I look up, say 'My Lord and my God' then bow my head and strike my breast once. At the Elevation of the Precious Blood, I look up and recite a slightly modified invocation from the Litany of the Sacred Heart, 'Eucharistic Heart of Jesus, King and Centre of all hearts, have mercy on us', and strike my breast. Not sure  where I picked up the second.
Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
"Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)" St Bernard of Clairvaux
https://musingsofanoldcurmudgeon.blogspot.com/

LouisIX

Quote from: jovan66102 on January 08, 2013, 04:05:20 PM
Quote from: Penelope on January 07, 2013, 04:49:39 PM

I look up, say 'My Lord and my God' then bow my head and strike my breast once. At the Elevation of the Precious Blood, I look up and recite a slightly modified invocation from the Litany of the Sacred Heart, 'Eucharistic Heart of Jesus, King and Centre of all hearts, have mercy on us', and strike my breast. Not sure  where I picked up the second.

This is the beautiful part of the TLM.  It is universal, but also quite individual.

If I have been to confession recently, I look up and adore whilst saying in my head, "My Lord and my God".  I then usually bow my head, strike my breast 3 times, and say in my mind, "Have mercy on me a poor sinner" followed by "Body of Christ, save me."

I then do the same with the Precious Blood, substituting only "Blood of Christ, inebriate me."

If I haven't been to confession in awhile I usually do all of the same but bow from the beginning without ever looking up at the Eucharist.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Penelope

Jovan, it might have been a post of yours that I read at FE a while back that put those ideas about bowing, etc. in my mind.