How old is your computer?

Started by Philip G., August 03, 2020, 01:17:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philip G.

How old is your computer?  And, who here is using the oldest laptop/computer on the forum?  I am curious, because I use old computers, and may end up taking the cake. 

Up until a few months ago, I had been using old laptops made before 2010 with linux operating systems installed.  And, I was content.  A few months ago my old dell died, and I was given a new HP laptop.  And, I hate it.  The screen is an led screen, and like all other led technology, it makes my eyes hurt.  As a result, I learned that around 2010 screen technology completed the switch across the board to LED screen technology from the older CCFL technology(cold cathode florescent light).  Ever since I got this new laptop my sleep has been bad, and it got worse when I got a new bedroom LED lightbulb to replace the old one that was not LED, making me suspicious of LED as being the problem.  In sum, I would certainly say I have suffered from insomnia these past few months.   I have pulled all nighters.  But, it is also in part to the fact that I have night time asthma that can get pretty bad.

A week ago, I acquired some really old laptops that I have been considering investing in mainly because they have CCFL screens.  I got rid of my LED lightbulbs, and I am getting rid of LED computer screens.  So, now I have two really old laptops.  One is a NOS dell 4100 from 2001 with 256mb or ram with a 1024mb max which I will invest in to meet the max.  And, the other is a sony vaio pcg-k25 from 2004 with similar specs.  These are pretty old.  Puppy linux barely works on the sony, and it doesn't properly work on the dell, but I think that is because it is 64 bit, and I installed a 32 bit version of a 300mb linux onto a current 256mb system.  Both laptops can only make use of 1024mb max.  I think once I do that, they will handle most lightweight linux OS's without much problem.  And, most importantly I like the screens.  I really do. 

I would go a desktop route if they still made ccfl monitors I could buy new, but they don't.  So, I am going to attempt to use one of these old laptops from before 2005. 

Does it take the cake?  Is there anyone else on this forum using CCFL screen technology?
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

MundaCorMeum

I have a Dell laptop that I got 11 years ago that I still use.  I have a newer one, as well, since my old one is pretty slow.  But, it still functions and we do still use it for stuff regularly.

Philip G.

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on August 03, 2020, 12:04:33 PM
I have a Dell laptop that I got 11 years ago that I still use.  I have a newer one, as well, since my old one is pretty slow.  But, it still functions and we do still use it for stuff regularly.

As old as that is, it might be a CCFL screen.  What operating system do you have on it?
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

MundaCorMeum

Prayerful

Not me, maybe three years, but with graphics card, power unit, extra HDDs, ram added.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

The Curt Jester

I rebuilt my computer around 2015 but kept Windows 7.  I still use a monitor from back around 2010.   I have a new laptop, but I use the desktop more often.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Brigid

mid 2011 MacBook Air lap-top here.
"His mother saith to the waiters: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye."  John 2:5

Bernadette

I've got a Dell desktop from 2007-ish that still works. :)
My Lord and my God.