Looking for tips on cybersecurity.

Started by Mister Cowboy, July 21, 2023, 05:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Cowboy

Well, I've read bits of an article written by a leftist which said in that leftist's words about "anti-Semitic Traditionalist Catholic groups" and so I tried to access a St. Joseph's forum that was mentioned there. Immediately, I got a message from my anti-virus program that they cut the connection as it probably had viruses and malware and such. This gets me thinking I should upgrade my security or at least know how to deal with these sorts of things.

There is a possibility that whatever viruses or malware that was there may have penetrated my security and is now hiding somewhere in my laptop. I'm getting a virus scan but well, it can't hurt to be safe rather than sorry so I'm looking to you guys if I may bump into problems I haven't foreseen.

Hmm, funnily enough, I recognized three or more groups the leftist article mentioned. It's none other than Tradition in Action (TIA in short) which I still frequently go to, the Remnant Newspaper by Michael Matt and the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (I think I went to their website several times I don't know).

Also, I want to ask you folks how I can beef up my privacy. I worry that the camera I have on my laptop can be used to spy on me (though my mother reassures me that it doesn't work) and that the laptop can even be used to listen to whatever I say in the vicinity. When I tell my mother I want to cover my laptop camera with tape well from what I can tell she thinks I'm going overboard.

Could you point me to places where I can learn how to protect myself online? That's so when I encounter an incident like this again I won't have to worry too much.

james03

First step is to get off of Windows or Apple on your computer and install Linux Mint.  That shuts down a lot of the spying.  And use the Brave browser.  People need to do this anyway because Microsoft is moving to charge you yearly for Windows and Office.  Don't pay, and your computer won't work.  With Linux, the operating system is yours, and LibreOffice is yours.

On your phone, ditch Apple or Android, and get a phone preinstalled with the Graphene operating system (search Ebay).  That cuts down on your phone spying on you.  Note any big name apps you install on a Graphene phone can still spy on you, but Graphene provides a sand box, so you can do things like deny the apps access to your contacts or location.  Try to use non spyware apps when you are able.

Finally get a VPN installed.  The best bet is to buy a firewall/VPN package which gives you a "black box".  All of your traffic should be routed through the "black box" and is automatically sent through the VPN.  If you use your providers WiFi, you won't get any protection unless each device has a VPN app.  You can do it that way also, but you must install the VPN on each device and make sure it is enabled.  That shuts off your service provider spying on you.

The big problem is that your cell service provider can does track you location, and they can do snoop into your messages. 

Get rid of Facebook, What's App, Google mail, Google docs, and Insta.  Use proton mail.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Mister Cowboy

Some of the things here are new and some I've already done. I will look into this. Thanks by the way!

Michael Wilson

Your cell phone is also an open mike all the time even when it is turned off. If you don't want people listening in on your conversations, put it inside a soundproof container while during the time you are not using it. It also can easily and clearly pick up conversations from another room.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Mister Cowboy

This is worse than 1984.

Will a closed door help?

james03

No.  For a cellphone the best bet is going with Graphene.  There's also calyx. 

https://calyxos.org/

https://grapheneos.org/

You can install them yourself.  If you aren't tech savvy, you can buy a phone with the OS preinstalled.

And then make sure apps are blocked from using your camera and mike.  You should also use open source, anti-spyware apps where possible.

Putting the phone in a container will deaden the microphone.

Right now most people, as in 99%, are too small fry to mess with spying.  It's mostly done to target ads, not by the government.

However it is good practice to develop privacy habits BEFORE the bolshevik social credit system is implemented.  The Vax Pass was a dry run.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

Michael Wilson

I also have to add that your home computer is also an open door to your house; anyone can tap into the mike and camera, and voila! You have an uninvited guest.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Bernadette

Quote from: james03 on July 26, 2023, 07:36:22 AMNo.  For a cellphone the best bet is going with Graphene.  There's also calyx. 

https://calyxos.org/

https://grapheneos.org/

You can install them yourself.  If you aren't tech savvy, you can buy a phone with the OS preinstalled.

And then make sure apps are blocked from using your camera and mike.  You should also use open source, anti-spyware apps where possible.

Putting the phone in a container will deaden the microphone.

Right now most people, as in 99%, are too small fry to mess with spying.  It's mostly done to target ads, not by the government.

However it is good practice to develop privacy habits BEFORE the bolshevik social credit system is implemented.  The Vax Pass was a dry run.
James, what do you use for email?
My Lord and my God.

james03

Thunderbird.

I use braxmail for my account.

Bernadette

And where did you hear that Windows is going to charge a yearly fee? I know Office does, which is why I use an open source word processing program, but I've never heard that Windows was going to.
My Lord and my God.

james03

Perhaps you've heard this before:

"Suscipe Domine Traditional Catholic Forumâ–º The Parish Hallâ–º The Geek Forum: We Report the News before It's News!"

It's a rumor that's been going around.  Microsoft can't really grow their OP much, so this is a way to shake down customers for Moar Money!  I think if they are dumb enough to do it, it will really launch Linux.  Making Office a yearly fee'd package was really stupid with Google Docs out there, and it certainly helped Libre Office.

james03

The official term is "Software as a Service", which is gay.

maryslittlegarden

A couple of sources for linux distros

https://www.shoplinuxonline.com/

https://www.linuxcollections.com/

pclinuxos is my current favorite. No systemd and it runs better than Mint and is very user friendly
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Mister Cowboy

Well, I wasn't careful again and so in a different forum (CathInfo) I searched a link that was posted in one of the topics and wham! Something happened. My anti-virus managed to cut the connection. So, there we have it yet again. I'm a little worried that I got a virus or malware that's hiding somewhere in my laptop. I have got to keep my guard up! I've already reported this to the moderator so hopefully this will be fixed so nobody else will have to suffer my experience.

A question for you folks, which is the best free anti-virus out there?

Also, should I be worried so much?

Say, in this one book I've read I heard you're not supposed to say the word 'gay' as it represents a victory for the homosexuals. It says so in the beginning of this book... here!
https://archive.org/details/defendinghigherl0000unse/page/n17/mode/2up

You have to sign in to view it though.

james03

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on July 31, 2023, 05:26:35 PMA couple of sources for linux distros

https://www.shoplinuxonline.com/

https://www.linuxcollections.com/

pclinuxos is my current favorite. No systemd and it runs better than Mint and is very user friendly

I've been using Artix and loving it.  No systemd.  I might look at pclinuxos.  I'm always afraid Artix will go away someday.  Does pclinuxos have a lot of support and popularity?  I think eventually all roads lead to gentoo.

Anyhow, if pclinuxos is easy to use, it would be a great distro for people coming over from Windows to keep them off of systemd.  Systemd is an attempt to turn Linux into Windows and has a lot of security problems.  And the whole reason to get off of Windows besides the money, is security.