Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerard

Quote from: vakarian on January 17, 2014, 09:10:53 PM
Rocky IV is the only Rocky film I've seen. I'm going to assume it's the best, because a friend threw a party for the 25th anniversary of the film in 2010 and even ordered a cake saying "Happy 25th Birthday, Rocky IV" complete with the Soviet and American gloves crashing together.

I would put the original "Rocky" film as actually a great film.  The rest are enjoyable in varying degrees but only popcorn flicks.  Rocky isn't even the same character in the sequels.  In the original, he's already too old, washed up, physically not capable of winning a championship fight no matter how hard he trains for it.  He never has a chance and it's his last opportunity to make some money by being a sacrificial lamb for basically a publicity fight.  His only goal is to "go the distance" because no one has ever done that against Creed.  The best moment in the entire flick is at 1:47, the look on Creed's face when the man won't stay down no matter how hopeless and the urging of Rocky to "come on" with the totally disfigured face by the pounding. 

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25NmudB2fqg[/yt]

Larry

I agree, Gerard, that the first movie is great. The second, while derivative, at least seems to be about the same characters in the first movie. 3 and 4 become superhero movies(though the third is fun). They try to bring it all back full circle in V, which is why I enjoy it more than 3 or 4. It's about Rocky Balboa from South Philly again.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Gardener

I saw The Talented Mr. Ripley. Don't. Disturbing on a level I didn't anticipate.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Larry

Quote from: Gardener on January 18, 2014, 11:19:11 AM
I saw The Talented Mr. Ripley. Don't. Disturbing on a level I didn't anticipate.

Very disturbing. But it did have beautiful shots of Italy.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Archer

"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

drummerboy

- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Maximilian

totiusque

The Great Gatsby

And Rocky IV is far superior to Rocky V.  I can't believe there's even a debate about it.  That is all.
"Whenever anything disagreeable or displeasing happens to you, remember Christ crucified and be silent."
—St John of the Cross

red solo cup

Elysium. Not too bad. They didn't mind hitting you over the head with their message. The squalor on Earth kept reminding me
of District 9.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

drummerboy

Quote from: totiusque on January 18, 2014, 10:44:50 PM
The Great Gatsby

And Rocky IV is far superior to Rocky V.  I can't believe there's even a debate about it.  That is all.

Just for saying that...

I must break you. >:(
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Lynne

Lifeboat, directed by Alfred Hitchcock on TCM

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

totiusque

Quote from: drummerboy on January 19, 2014, 02:41:46 PM

Just for saying that...

Only stating the facts.  I'm trying to think of a more annoying actor/character than Rocky's son in Rocky V, and I just can't do it.  And a street fight?  With Tommy Morrison?  With a bad acting Don King wannabe babbling in the background?  Yeah, no comparison. 

Is Rocky IV a perfect film?  No, far from it.  But compared to the trash that was Rocky V, it comes out looking like Citizen Kane.
"Whenever anything disagreeable or displeasing happens to you, remember Christ crucified and be silent."
—St John of the Cross

tradne4163

Quote from: totiusque on January 19, 2014, 09:45:57 PM
Quote from: drummerboy on January 19, 2014, 02:41:46 PM

Just for saying that...

Only stating the facts.  I'm trying to think of a more annoying actor/character than Rocky's son in Rocky V, and I just can't do it.  And a street fight?  With Tommy Morrison?  With a bad acting Don King wannabe babbling in the background?  Yeah, no comparison. 

Is Rocky IV a perfect film?  No, far from it.  But compared to the trash that was Rocky V, it comes out looking like Citizen Kane.
Anakin Skywalker in Star Wars Episode II.  A Whiny overgrown brat he was.
Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Take any post I write with a grain of salt. I've been wrong before, and can be again

totiusque

Quote from: tradne4163 on January 19, 2014, 09:52:27 PM
Anakin Skywalker in Star Wars Episode II.  A Whiny overgrown brat he was.

I stand corrected, though you could probably name a good number of characters from the pre-trilogy that fall under that umbrella (looking at you, Jar Jar!).  I blame that more on Lucas than on Hayden Christensen, though.
—St John of the Cross