Degree and Searching for a Good Job

Started by Kephapaulos, July 05, 2017, 03:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kephapaulos

God willing, I will be finishing my Master of Business Administration degree with a concentration in finance (not accounting) in December of this year, and I have been applying to jobs. What companies would you suggest I apply to?

Gardener

Since you can go to any industry, I'd focus on companies which have a culture and product you can get behind. Know the company. Know its products and its customers.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

PerEvangelicaDicta

K, between this and another forum, I've read your accounts the past few years.  You've had some struggles.  Please know that I've prayed often for you, and will continue to do so in your job search.  Ad majorem Dei gloriam - and I'm certain you will serve Him well.

They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Akavit

It might not hurt to attend some trade shows that interest you and check out the different companies.  Talk to the reps and get a sense for the industries that you feel most comfortable around.  Some of the people at those shows love talking about their companies and careers and the older people can give tips on how to get into the industry.  Don't ask for job applications but just for advice in getting started in the field.

Mac_Benny

Its typical of freshly minted MBAs to go to Associate Programs/Leadership Development Programs (name may vary). These are corporate manager training programs where you are rotated through different departments over 1-2 years. Afterwards if they want to keep you they offer a position in the department that wants you. This should all be lined up with your University, so look into their job fare/placement programs. They should also have days when employers come on campus to talk to soon to be graduates.

An example
https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/mba-leadership-program-jobs

You need to be mindful of deadlines. Banks take their interns and MBA associates in the fall, so the deadline for those may have already passed. Government positions often require submitting resume and paperwork a year in an advance.

You need to quickly decide if you want to go to banking/consulting, tech, or run of the mill corporate industrial MBA associate programs. The pay and opportunities being the highest with banking/consulting then tech.

Archer

Quote from: Kephapaulos on July 05, 2017, 03:06:40 PM
God willing, I will be finishing my Master of Business Administration degree with a concentration in finance (not accounting) in December of this year, and I have been applying to jobs. What companies would you suggest I apply to?

One that will call you back.

What school are you at?
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Kephapaulos

Quote from: Archer on July 06, 2017, 07:19:22 AM

What school are you at?

Texas A&M University San Antonio.

Gardener

Quote from: Kephapaulos on July 06, 2017, 09:02:52 AM

What school are you at?

Oh, so you're an Aggie? Flash that ring and walk on. Utilize LinkedIn. Apply to positions w/ Aggie managers.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Heinrich

I would say a position in an economically vibrant area with the TLM. Preferably FSSP, of course: Boston(Nashua, NH), Denver, Dallas, Houston, Colorado Springs are ones that I know of. You would be hard pressed to find a viable position with a Pro Life non profit in these areas(maybe Dallas or Houston). Health supplement, cutting edge medical tech, health care groups, etc. These types of companies, while no doubt profit driven, actually create things that help fill a person's needs, not frivolous wants. Like soda and snack behemoths. I remember looking at my roommate's finance problems in college(as an undergrad); that stuff ain't easy.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Archer

What school are you at?

Will your diploma be any different than someone who graduated from the Mays Business School at College Station?
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Archer

Quote from: Gardener on July 06, 2017, 09:10:13 AM

What school are you at?

Oh, so you're an Aggie? Flash that ring and walk on. Utilize LinkedIn. Apply to positions w/ Aggie managers.

1) Do you know where you want to live? Because that will narrow down the companies you can actually apply to. If you're open nationwide that gives you plenty of options, but options can also be overwhelming.
2) Do you have an idea of what you want to do? An MBA opens a lot of doors, but you absolutely need to be able to explain what you want to do, why you want to do it, and why you can do it better than the next MBA.

Hopefully you're on LinkedIn. Use the LinkedIn job site to find other Aggies who work at companies you're interested in. Write up a short paragraph (read: SHORT) about who you are and what attracts you about x company. Maybe they'll bite. If they do, ask for a 10 minute conversation to "find out more about the company." If they like you, you won't have to ask them to keep you in mind for the next open position. 

Hopefully your resume is solid, but make sure to have a couple people who know what they're talking about tear it apart. Preferably someone who knows you and knows what an executive or hiring manager is looking for these days. Go to A&M job fairs and talk to recruiters.

I'm graduating in December from Arizona State with my MBA as well. I just went through this process when I got out of the Military - it's brutal.

Gardener

Quote from: Archer on July 06, 2017, 12:51:56 PM

What school are you at?

1) Do you know where you want to live? Because that will narrow down the companies you can actually apply to. If you're open nationwide that gives you plenty of options, but options can also be overwhelming.
2) Do you have an idea of what you want to do? An MBA opens a lot of doors, but you absolutely need to be able to explain what you want to do, why you want to do it, and why you can do it better than the next MBA.

Hopefully you're on LinkedIn. Use the LinkedIn job site to find other Aggies who work at companies you're interested in. Write up a short paragraph (read: SHORT) about who you are and what attracts you about x company. Maybe they'll bite. If they do, ask for a 10 minute conversation to "find out more about the company." If they like you, you won't have to ask them to keep you in mind for the next open position. 

Hopefully your resume is solid, but make sure to have a couple people who know what they're talking about tear it apart. Preferably someone who knows you and knows what an executive or hiring manager is looking for these days. Go to A&M job fairs and talk to recruiters.

I'm graduating in December from Arizona State with my MBA as well. I just went through this process when I got out of the Military - it's brutal.

Didn't know you got out. What made you decide to leave? Feel free to PM if you want. I have a buddy who is about to pick up Major at 10 years. Already has his command time, etc. for CPT. He's about to go into the Counter Intel track.

Archer

Quote from: Gardener on July 06, 2017, 01:03:17 PM
Didn't know you got out. What made you decide to leave? Feel free to PM if you want. I have a buddy who is about to pick up Major at 10 years. Already has his command time, etc. for CPT. He's about to go into the Counter Intel track.

A lot can happen in two years. :grin:
I'll message you.

Kephapaulos

What school are you at?

Technically, I'm a Jaguar, but by default I am an Aggie since my university has been connected to Texas A&M at College Station. I can check LinkedIn for connections to my university.

Kephapaulos

Quote from: Archer

Honestly, I am torn between living in my city or somewhere else.

I was thinking of going into financial management or analysis.

Congratulations!