Recent posts

The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for April 28:

CHAPTER LXX
That no one presume to strike another

Let every occasion of presumption be banished from the Monastery. We ordain, therefore, that no one be allowed to excommunicate or strike any of his brethren, unless authority to do so shall have been given him by the Abbot. Let such as offend herein be rebuked in the presence of all, that the rest may be struck with fear. With regard to the children, however, let them be kept by all under diligent and watchful discipline, until their fifteenth year: yet this, too, with measure and discretion. For if any one presume, without leave of the Abbot, to chastise such as are above that age, or shew undue severity even to the children, he shall be subjected to the discipline of the Rule, because it is written: "What thou wouldest not have done to thyself, do not thou to another."

Martyrology-April 29th
Roman Martyrology-April 29th-on this date in various years-

St. Peter, a martyr of the Order of Preachers, who was slain for the Catholic faith on the 6th day of April.

At Rome, the birthday of St. Catherine of Siena, virgin of the Third Order of St. Dominic, renowned for her holy life and her miracles. She was inscribed among the canonized virgins by Pope Pius II. Her feast, however, is celebrated on the following day.

At Paphos in Cyprus, St. Tychicus, a disciple of the blessed Apostle Paul, who called him in his Epistles, "most dear brother," "faithful minister," and "fellow-servant in the Lord".

At Pisa in Tuscany, the martyr St. Torpes, who filled a high office in the court of Nero, and was one of those of whom the apostle wrote from Rome to the Philippians: "All the saints salute you, especially those that are of the house of Caesar." For the faith of Christ, he was, by order of Satellicus, beaten, cruelly scourged, and delivered to the beasts to be devoured, but remained uninjured. He completed his martyrdom by being beheaded.

At Cirta in Numidia, the birthday of the holy martyrs Apapius and Secundinus, bishops, who, after a long exile in that city, added to the glory of their priesthood the crown of martyrdom. They suffered in the persecution of Valerian, during which the enraged Gentiles made every effort to shake the faith of the just. In their company suffered Aemilian, a soldier, Tertulla and Antonia, consecrated virgins, and a woman with her twin children.

In the island of Codyra, the seven holy thieves who were converted to Christ by St. Jason, and gained eternal life by martyrdom.

At Naples in Campania, Bishop St. Severus, who, among other prodigies, raised for a short time a dead man from the grave in order to convict of falsehood the lying creditor of a widow and her children.

At Brescia, St. Paulinus, bishop and confessor.

In the monastery of Cluny in France, St. Hugh Abbot.

In the monastery of Molesmes in France, St. Robert, the first abbot of the Cistercians.

And elsewhere in divers places, many other holy martyrs, confessors, and holy virgins.
R. Thanks be to God.
Arts and Leisure / Re: What are you currently rea...
Last post by Bernadette - Today at 06:09:37 PM
The Hound of the Baskervilles, my favorite Sherlock Holmes story.
Ask a Traditionalist / Re: Opulence in Restaurant Foo...
Last post by Heinrich - Today at 04:58:27 PM
In my honest opinion, eating out is horrid. Horrid food, horrid prices. Horrid I tell you.
General News and Discussion / Re: Russia Invades Ukraine
Last post by Heinrich - Today at 04:48:29 PM
Quote from: james03 on Today at 09:22:38 AMThey might have committed 30%.  They are keeping a huge reserve due to a possible war with NATO.

Hopefully the Ukraine Army will collapse soon and end this. They are looking shaky.

Do you know of weaponry that is not being utilized? I remember seeing a video 5 years ago of a tank like chassis thing that had twin gatline guns and rocket baskets. Terrifying as all heck. I assume it was designed to thrwart a tried and true Chinese battle tactic: send a million men over the ridge to overwhelm. 
Ask a Traditionalist / Re: Opulence in Restaurant Foo...
Last post by clau clau - Today at 04:12:14 PM
Quote from: Greg on Today at 12:05:23 AMClau Clau and I went to Trump's inauguration 7.5 years ago and stopped at steak house in Pennsylvania.  Can't remember the name of the town other than it began with the letter D and was right on the highway.  Dane?
I think it was Bear, Delaware (Long Horn Steakhouse)
Ask a Traditionalist / Re: Engagement\betrothal break...
Last post by Bernadette - Today at 01:05:11 PM
Quote from: paxvobis on April 26, 2024, 07:11:30 PMAs to everybody else, I'm not saying people are wicked if they break it off. But I will say that people are less willing to give you a chance if you were the offending party. Man or woman.
The one who broke it off, or the one whose character qualities made it necessary for it to be broken off?
Ask a Traditionalist / Re: Engaging with the Eastern ...
Last post by EastWest7 - Today at 10:31:06 AM
Quote from: Michael Wilson on Today at 08:48:00 AME.W.
Thank you once again for your kind words. I would love to get together with you some day; probably wont happen. Yes, I am open to adult beverages, as I love a good whisky, whether Bourbon or Scotch & Spanish brandy, beer etc.
I am mostly self educated on religious matters, as my formal catechism classed abruptly came to a close in the 5th grade; our Catholic school decided one day to stop teaching it???? Better than what came behind it, when they resumed teaching about it.
I love Catechisms, dogmatic manuals, and even just Church history.
On the Filioque topic, I just stumbled accross this video which sites an unbelievable number of both Western and Eastern Fathers on their views. Just the quote from St. Augustine on John 16. 13-15 will knock your socks off (3min 35 secs) "He will take what is mine": If he receives knowledge from the Son, He receives His essence also. Great stuff!

Michael,
Sounds like you have excellent taste in beverages. And your preferences as indicated above show a particularly catholic (universal, comprehensive) appreciation. I've never had Spanish brandy however I too, am a fan of good whiskies (usually prefer Scotch or Canadian), a vodka martini and beer - especially stouts and pilsners (of course native to the Greek-Catholic regions of the Czech Republic and Slovakia  :D  ).

Your being (generally) self-educated in theology is most impressive. Theology and music (IMO, anyway) seems to share something in common. That is, I think people with little or no formal education, yet who have a passion for the respective subject, often can run rings around those who have the "benefit" (?) of theological/musical training.

I appreciate the head's up on the Filioque video. And the mention of St Augustine on John 16:13-15. FYI, if you intended to post it here, I don't see it.

It's interesting about the varied opinions on it of both Eastern and Western Fathers. Myself, I am comfortable saying the Creed without it when I attend Eastern liturgies as well as saying the Creed with the Filioque at the TLMs (or my wife/children's very conservative novus ordo parish) that I sometimes attend.

Even back at St Vladimir's, Prof John Ericksen (Church history) was very careful to indicate that the Filioque was added in the West as a means of fighting the resurgence of Arianism in some regions of western Europe.

I think there is scriptural support for both views.

In the past week I saw a very interesting video on the essence-energies distinction by a Reformed Baptist theologian who I respect, Gavin Ortland, PhD. His YouTube channel is called Truth Unites. His discussion is rather supportive of the Eastern theology and it appears his thinking on the subject (as I think he openly states) has gradually changed over time. For me, it was interesting to hearing this - particularly as Dr Ortland is a firmly sola scriptura kind of guy. I'd post the vid however I still can't seem to figure out how to do that on the SD forum.
Thanks.         
Last post by drummerboy - Today at 09:42:22 AM
Quote from: Bonaventure on April 26, 2024, 11:41:02 AM
Quote from: LausTibiChriste on April 26, 2024, 11:36:24 AMMarriage is hard af sometimes even when you're both gung-ho on it. Imagine forcing yourself into it when you're full of doubt or see red flags. That's a recipe for disaster.

A man prepares, discerns, and is tested, examined, etc. for 6, 7, or even 8 years prior to being ordained.

Most men and women wait far, far less than that, to marry.

I've read that is due to matrimony being a natural state of mankind, whereas the priesthood (and the accompanying celibacy) are supernatural, and not in the natural order of things.
Last post by dymphnaw - Today at 09:32:20 AM
nonsense. A broken engagement beats a divorce.