Was Pope Leo the Great a Nestorian?

Started by Livenotonevil, August 14, 2018, 10:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Lamb

Livenotonevil, Catholics do not deny the possibility of holiness or miracles in those sects which have been cut off from the unity of the Church a long time ago, because many of its members may be living under invincible ignorance and may truly have the Catholic faith, as much as they are able to. Nor do Roman Catholics deny the authenticity of Eastern spirituality that goes back to the Desert Fathers. Nor do Catholics deny the possibility that there are Satanic delusions and false apparitions at work among Catholics.

The problem is that you're not someone labouring under invincible ignorance, but someone who wants to pick & choose what to believe; and "pick & choose" is the very definition of heresy.

QuoteThat's a stupid argument. In fact, I would say Orthodoxy is less intellectual than Roman Catholicism - everything in Roman Catholicism is scholastically broken down into a Thomistic Science, which can be discussed at length, with several different types of spiritualities and mysticisms allowed, from Desert Father monasticism to Franciscan focuses of the pain of Christ. Whereas in Orthodoxy, there are clear defined limits on what we can and can't talk about, and only one kind of spirituality.

I agree that Orthodoxy has nothing as intellectually sophisticated as the old Catholic theological schools, but there are intellectuals who favour it precisely because of its ambiguity. For many intellectuals, being able to make up their own mind is more important than the truth itself.
"Let all bitterness and animosity and indignation and defamation be removed from you, together with every evil. And become helpfully kind to one another, inwardly compassionate, forgiving among yourselves, just as God also graciously forgave you in the Anointed." – St. Paul

Livenotonevil

I am not. If I was pick and choose, I would become part of the SSPX.
May God forgive me for my consistent sins of the flesh and any blasphemous and carnal desire, as well as forgive me whenever I act prideful, against the desire of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, to be a Temple of the Holy Spirit.

Gardener

Quote from: Livenotonevil on August 18, 2018, 04:25:13 PM

Well that's certainly a provocative statement with no backing; the SSPX might indeed "pick and choose", but the question is are they picking and choosing things they are allowed to in adherence to the Traditional faith, or things they are not allowed to?

If you raise it at them, you have to raise it at the FSSP, Institute, etc., too, since they also "pick and choose", as does the NO, as do the Orthodox, etc. ...lest you wish to clarify?
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Livenotonevil

Quote from: Gardener on August 18, 2018, 06:00:27 PM

Well that's certainly a provocative statement with no backing; the SSPX might indeed "pick and choose", but the question is are they picking and choosing things they are allowed to in adherence to the Traditional faith, or things they are not allowed to?

If you raise it at them, you have to raise it at the FSSP, Institute, etc., too, since they also "pick and choose", as does the NO, as do the Orthodox, etc. ...lest you wish to clarify?

I'm saying that if I could "pick and choose" my religion, I would join the SSPX. However, it would violate my conscience and my relationship with God to do so.
May God forgive me for my consistent sins of the flesh and any blasphemous and carnal desire, as well as forgive me whenever I act prideful, against the desire of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, to be a Temple of the Holy Spirit.

Serviam

Quote from: Livenotonevil on August 18, 2018, 09:06:57 PM

I'm saying that if I could "pick and choose" my religion, I would join the SSPX. However, it would violate my conscience and my relationship with God to do so.

The religion you have chosen is your own ego.
With fear and trembling work out your salvation.

Livenotonevil

Quote from: Serviam on August 19, 2018, 08:45:26 AM
Quote from: Livenotonevil on August 18, 2018, 09:06:57 PM

The religion you have chosen is your own ego.

Maybe I should consider listening to a loving, selfless individual who thinks it's fashionable to wear a "Extra Ecclasiam Nulla Salus" shirt.

Quote from: Serviam on June 27, 2018, 07:48:13 AM
A great t-shirt for grilling in the sun during this summer (If the sun ever shows up here in iceland that is)

I can really tell you have no problems of ego at all.

"Lord, I thank You that I am not like other men..."

Serviam

You need to work on your deflection skills.
With fear and trembling work out your salvation.