A few things about me

Started by Scowler, January 05, 2018, 08:18:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scowler

Quite an old guy... over seventy.

My name (Scowler) comes from Asimov's Second Foundation, where the simple folk mispronounce the word "Scholar". It has nothing to do with scowling.  :)

Now comes the hard stuff, because I would not want to paint a false picture about myself. I was baptized Calvinist, and I used to attend church up until my mid twenties. At that time I gradually lost my faith. It had nothing to do with any bad experiences, the members of the clergy all were wonderful, kind, loving people. But I simply could not believe that there is a loving and kind deity over us. The everyday evidence just does not support it. Of course I am not "hostile" to religion. However, I am aware that I am not omniscient, that there are many things I don't know, and I am willing to learn.

I am just curious about certain questions, and intend to ask them, if you are willing to answer. If not, let me know and I will disappear.

A few more tidbits. I am a huge fan of Bayern Munchen... the football (not "soccer" ;) ) team. I hope they will win the Champion's League. The Bundesliga and the German Cup are very likely to be in the bag. Tonight I will have about 8  different kinds of cheeses for dinner, along with some good German, Belgian etc... beer. 

So, yes. I am a heathen, and abominable, evil, but not wicked or hostile one. Happy new year to all of you. :)

dymphna17

Quote from: Scowler on January 05, 2018, 08:18:04 AM
Quite an old guy... over seventy.

My name (Scowler) comes from Asimov's Second Foundation, where the simple folk mispronounce the word "Scholar". It has nothing to do with scowling.  :)

Now comes the hard stuff, because I would not want to paint a false picture about myself. I was baptized Calvinist, and I used to attend church up until my mid twenties. At that time I gradually lost my faith. It had nothing to do with any bad experiences, the members of the clergy all were wonderful, kind, loving people. But I simply could not believe that there is a loving and kind deity over us. The everyday evidence just does not support it. Of course I am not "hostile" to religion. However, I am aware that I am not omniscient, that there are many things I don't know, and I am willing to learn.

I am just curious about certain questions, and intend to ask them, if you are willing to answer. If not, let me know and I will disappear.

A few more tidbits. I am a huge fan of Bayern Munchen... the football (not "soccer" ;) ) team. I hope they will win the Champion's League. The Bundesliga and the German Cup are very likely to be in the bag. Tonight I will have about 8  different kinds of cheeses for dinner, along with some good German, Belgian etc... beer. 

So, yes. I am a heathen, and abominable, evil, but not wicked or hostile one. Happy new year to all of you. :)

Well aren't you just an interesting man.  European?  And abominable?  Like the abominable snowman?  I don't think he was evil though.  Welcome!  I look forward to reading your posts.   :seeya:
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Jayne

Hi Scowler,
The forum owner likes cheese and, while I doubt that we all like beer, not many are brave enough to say so.  Thus we have emoticons like:
cheesehead :cheesehead:  cheesehead with beer  :cheeseheadbeer: and beer  :beer:

So I'm guessing that stating you like cheese and beer in your intro may cancel out your totally wrong ideas about religion (in terms of you being fit to talk to; unfortunately it won't get you into heaven.)

On the other hand, saying football instead of soccer is asking for trouble.  On the other other hand, I liked Asimov's Foundation series (although I read it a very long time ago and I'm not sure if I still would if I read it now) and appreciate your username.

All in all, I think you will just have to post and see what happens.  Let's hope for the best.  Welcome to the forum.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Kaesekopf

Stern des Suedens! 

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Non Nobis

Maybe you should use an avatar that shows a big SMILE, or advice to do it.  The word scowler tends to make me scowl!

(Welcome to the forum, by the way!  ;D)
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Heinrich

Willkommen ins Gespräch.

I was in Munich when Celtic FC came to get conquered. I was on the Marienplatz with a couple hundred beer crushing Scotsmen. First time being among the soccer passionate. That's how I discovered Champions League and all that.

We have a foreign language section, wenn Sie deutsch sprechen können.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Scowler

Thank you all for the welcoming words. :)

I find it very encouraging that most "fussball" players exhibit non-antagonistic behavior on the pitch, even when the game has a lot riding on it. After the game they embrace each other. Very civilized behavior. Not to speak of the Allianz Arena and the atmosphere during the games. As for speaking German, I used to be pretty fluent about 35 years ago, but the lack of practice took its toll. Too bad... it is a great language. (Of course every language is great. :))

However, I really enjoyed re-reading the book of "Gesammelte Tiergeschichten von Manfred Kyber" when I found it on-line at http://gutenberg.spiegel.de/buch/tiergeschichten-5507/1. Absolutely hilarious description of humans.

I already opened a thread about the question of "mortal sin", and I hope to see some answers, when it is convenient.

Lydia Purpuraria

It gave me a good chuckle when I first read your username, imagining a scowling "curmudgeon" who's just giving everyone fair-warning!  So, anyway, I was wrong about all that -- but you seem like an interesting fellow nonetheless. 

Welcome to the forum, Scowler. 

:beer:

Michael Wilson

Welcome to the forum; I'm a big Real Madrid fan; but also a "real" football fan. I hope that the smart people on this forum can give you some material that will help you find your way back to God. By the way, the Calvinist conception of God is a very different one from what we as Catholics hold; for one, we don't believe that God deliberately creates someone, just to send them to Hell.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Scowler

Oh, yes, CR7 is a very good player. And so is Lionel Messi in Barca. My personal favorites are Arjen Robben and Robert Lewandowski. Too bad that Robben had so many injuries during the years. When teamed up with Ribery they formed the pair of "Robbery" :) and the result is pretty spectacular.

As for the different concepts of God, I am aware of the differences, but those we can discuss at the proper places. I have quite a few questions, but I don't want to deal with too many of them at the same time.

Jacob

Scowler, have you read all the Foundation books?  The original ones, not the not so good prequels.  What do you think of Trevize's final decision?
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Scowler

Oh, yes, I read all of them, even the prequels (and some of them are not so good, as you said :) ). I liked the "final" decision of Trevize, since it postponed the actual decision making itself. Smart idea. Such a far-reaching decision cannot be done in a hastened fashion. One needs to think it over many times. However, I do like the Galaxia as a solution. If everyone is part of the same super-organism, there cannot be hostility - just like our organs work in harmony, and the stomach cannot incite a "revolution" against the lungs - for example.

As a matter of fact the concept of Galaxia is one of my major problems with the existing world (as created by God). The Galaxia type of arrangement is one of the possible worlds without "evil", either moral or natural evil. Of course the "price" is a lowered level of individuality, but I see nothing wrong with that. Ouch, you just opened the "floodgates" :) and I need all my willpower to wait and discuss it in a separate thread of its own... One of the most exciting conversations ever. Let's do it whenever convenient! Thanks for your input! :)

Xavier

Welcome, Scowler. I'm ManU forever. 8) Although the glory days with Sir Alex are long past. Christiano Ronaldo being poached by Real was bad enough; but Rooney going back to Everton just last year will almost surely seal my favorite club's fate in europe in the champions league. Oh well. Maybe Alexis Sanchez will swing the tide. Maybe not.

Peace, God bless and hope you find your way back to the Good Lord before entering eternity.
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

Scowler

Quote from: Xavier on January 20, 2018, 02:44:08 AM
Welcome, Scowler. I'm ManU forever. 8) Although the glory days with Sir Alex are long past. Christiano Ronaldo being poached by Real was bad enough; but Rooney going back to Everton just last year will almost surely seal my favorite club's fate in europe in the champions league. Oh well. Maybe Alexis Sanchez will swing the tide. Maybe not.

Quite a few years ago we had a cruise trip on the Mediterranean, and spent a week on the Canary Islands. We were both very sick (collected some stomach virus on the ship), but we had the opportunity to watch the ManU vs. ManC football game, and it was one of the best games we have ever seen. (Though not as good as the Germany vs. Brazil 7:1 World Cup semi-final in 2014.) :)

Quote from: Xavier on January 20, 2018, 02:44:08 AM
Peace, God bless and hope you find your way back to the Good Lord before entering eternity.

One can only hope. I am definitely willing, with God's help. :)